Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Multiverse graphic novel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiverse graphic novel

Today I received a copy of the graphic novel edition of Michael Moorcock's Multiverse (from DC Comics) I won on eBay and noticed that the running order of the Second Ether/Seaton Begg/Duke Elric strips differs from the one in the original comics serialisation. I presume this was intentional on Mike's part? How do people think the effect of the overall story changes by grouping several chapters of each story together rather than alternating them as in the comics?
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

I prefer the ordering of the graphic novel as it seems to draw the reader in better than the serialised version.

Incidentally, people might be like to know that Amazon UK claim to have stock of the graphic novel at the minute. I was under the impression that it was out of print.

Comment

English readers, used to weekly serials, weren't especially phased by the method I used in Multiverse, but American readers weren't in the main so at ease with it, at least until they began to realise that all the stories were coming together. When we put the album together, we decided to make it a bit easier on the reader less familiar with the method. To my mind, both monthly magazines and collected edition have their own virtues. The collected edition has more explanation about the multiverse while the magazines have letters and features.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I also enjoyed the serial version. I think it would be best to read them in that format,then read them again in the graphic novel.

Big spoiler and two questions for Mike:

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
        X