Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

So, what did the order of the butterfly do to get disbanded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, what did the order of the butterfly do to get disbanded?

In the Hawkmoon series, the Order of the Butterfly was disbanded for some horrendous deed.
    But it was never made clear what they actually did.

Has this ever been clarified?
    If not, will you spill the beans Mike?

http://forum.portail-jdr.com/viewtopic.php?id=1200

sorry it is in french ..... on some orders disbanded and others subjects .

the order of butterfly was disbanded by a day very windy they had to parad and crashed on the imperial tribune, theirs wings folding as too weak. Ornithopteres were substitued.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
      My lips are sealed, I fear.
      So's my brain, for that matter...
      I had suspected that the actual deed wasn't explored much by yourself.
      However, I just wanted to ask.

Thanks for replying anyway. , it's really amazing, what with the internet and so on that I can get a reply from the man himself, something all those years ago (before al Gore invented the web ) I thought was never going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan Kane
        http://forum.portail-jdr.com/viewtopic.php?id=1200

sorry it is in french ..... on some orders disbanded and others subjects .

the order of butterfly was disbanded by a day very windy they had to parad and crashed on the imperial tribune, theirs wings folding as too weak. Ornithopteres were substitued.
        So you're inferring that the members of the order had personal wings (maybe motorised or something) that allowed them to fly?
        Or that they had lighter ornithopters?
        Interesting idea, but I sort of read it as that they had committed some deeds so sick it was even considered going too far for granbretanians or something.

Comment

Another possible explantion :

they were so proud of theirs wings, so occupied to paint them, they refused to go to fight to prevent to dirty or break them .. so ineffective, they had to be disbanded !

If somebody has a better explaination ?

Comment

I think I'm going to have to go back and read the hawkmoon series again to refresh my memory on the subject, it's been some years since I read the hawkmoon series anyway.

But again, another take on the event, I had not considered it in that context either really.

Comment

From a friend :

the order of the butterfly was not created by M. Moorcock but by the conceptors of the RPG.

It is evoked in a add ... ( broken islend ) . According the source, it was disbanded for extrem indiscipline, atacking prematuraly countries the empire was not at war, spoiling victories from other orders and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan Kane
                From a friend :

the order of the butterfly was not created by M. Moorcock but by the conceptors of the RPG.

It is evoked in a add ... ( broken islend ) . According the source, it was disbanded for extrem indiscipline, atacking prematuraly countries the empire was not at war, spoiling victories from other orders and so on.
                The idea of Leonardo's wings matches more perfectly with the ornithopters. Avoiding the explanation of how the Order flies was probably wise.
                Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Originally posted by danskmacabre
                  Interesting idea, but I sort of read it as that they had committed some deeds so sick it was even considered going too far for granbretanians or something.
                  I shudder to think what Granbretanians would consider "going too far".

Comment

Originally posted by Hawksun
                    I shudder to think what Granbretanians would consider "going too far".
                    Exactly, which was why I was fascinated to find out what the deed was.

But, as someone pointed out, it wasn't part of the book, but an addition for the RPG.
                    Having ran and played the various MM related RPGs quite a lot as well as having read his books many times over, I obviously got the 2 mixed up.

Comment

Originally posted by danskmacabre
                      In the Hawkmoon series, the Order of the Butterfly was disbanded for some horrendous deed.
                      But it was never made clear what they actually did.

Has this ever been clarified?
                      One of them flapped his wings in Burkhamstedd and caused a hurricane near Bood-a-pesht. It wiped out most of a Granbretanian force preparing to attack the city and the Empire suffered a rare defeat.

I thought everyone knew that.

Comment

Working...
                      X