Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Talbot Mundy (AKA William Gribbon)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talbot Mundy (AKA William Gribbon)

I posted this in the books thread - but just wondering if Mike or anyone is familiar with this author. I confess I'd never heard of the guy before Amazon flashed up a recommendation for me for "Tros of Samothrace", but it looks intriguing, and I have a taste for historical "pulp" fiction.

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/1596542...085347-5110238
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

I remember the series as being very readable back in the mid 70s.
    "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

I liked Tros quite a bit. Definitely give it a try. Have you read any Harold Lamb? If you like pulp historical adventures, Lamb is excellent. A lot of his work has recently come back into print too. Check Amazon for the new collections.

Comment

If I get one of the jobs I'm going for - I'll definitely buy myself this by way of a reward.

BTW - anyone familiar with Mary Renault? I hear her name come up quite a lot as a writer of good historical fiction.
        Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Mary Renault's good. I read her books about Alexander the Great ages ago. Real ripping yarns, but also very well historically researched. Interesting on the gay angle as well.

I've nearly finished the first Tros book and really enjoying it. I'm very impressed by the quantity of mead consumed by the characters. The anti-imperialist message seems very contemporary.
          \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Yes I wouldn't mind reading something accurate about Alexander - am on a bit of a historical fiction binge at the moment. Still have that copy of Graves' Count Belisarius to get through.

Comment

I read Mundy and Lamb quite a bit in my teens. Lamb, I recall, was quite an influence for a lot of the juvenile historical fiction I did in those days.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
              X