Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Mr. Moorcock you have a new fan!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Moorcock you have a new fan!!!!

My daughter!!!!!!!!!!! After a lovely dinner out we come home and
    i tell everyone ..
    "ok I'm off to Tanelorn, outside the city walls Elric is getting his ass kicked." I'm re-reading The Dreamthief's Daughter. Anyway a few minutes pass here comes my daughter ,she snuggles up next to me and
    i start reading to her. i'd peek at her every so often she was transfixed!!
    after a couple of chapers, I asked her, so baby what do you think? Its good. Can I read it when you're done? UH YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But to tie her over until this afternoon or evening when i finish it she picked out The Srayling Tree to read. We had to pry it out of her hands last night around midnight so she could get some sleep. she's only ten you know hehe

What's funny is when I'm reading a book, I'll fuss, cuss , yell , talk to the characters or laugh with them(yeah I get that into it ). Or come running out from the bedroom yelling oh my god I can't believe so and so just did such and such. To which my daughter always tells me oh mom you're so weird!!! You dont know how many times she's said this when
    i've gone on and on about your characters.
    I am so proud right now my daughter recognizes genius when she sees it..at such a tender age too!
    Please, excuse any typos I'm on the notebook and am not used to typing on this tiny keyboard

That's great. And with The Skrayling Tree, too! I guess when they're ready, they're READY. Interesting thing is that some people (including editors) have thought the book 'too difficult' for the average fantasy reader. This increases my respect for readers and my total contempt for many editors! I hope she enjoys WWS, as well.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Idiot_Savant, my daughter is really into MM also (as I mentioned in another thread). She is a prolofic reader and was moping about the house one day looking for something to read and to my surprise picked up one of my Elric novels (she was 12 at the time) and got stuck into it. She finished it in one sitting and went for another of the Elric books. Over a few days (school holidays) she finished off quite a few and moved on to Hawkmoon/Count Brass/Corum/Dancers (as a side note on this last series, we named our daughter Amelia - partially because of Amelia Underwood). After those novels she went with 'Behold The Man' and was really impressed. She attends a Catholic school and, of course, told all her friends about it so I guess we're probably being labelled as blasphemers and heretics for allowing her to read such stuff ...

and over in the big black booth near the edge of the fairground, the last band is playing...

Comment

If it's any comfort, Behold the Man got well reviewed in the UK Catholic Press and an American nun, Sister Mary Therese, now sadly passed on up, loved the book and got a special dispensation to read it. It was the Baptists who sent me death threats. Essentially, the book is about a struggle of conscience and belief and many religious people have understood it as such. Fundamentalists are the ones who have problems with it.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Fundamenalists have problems with everything.They should get a life.
          My daughter...wait...I am still single but be sure I am hoarding Mike's books for my kids when they will come and be able to read.Personally I think they are good for kids.Some could say they have much violence but for me they have less violence than an average tale.A wolf eating an old lady,a stepmother poisoning her "daughter"...there is violence and evil everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Heiron
            Fundamenalists have problems with everything.They should get a life.
            My daughter...wait...I am still single but be sure I am hoarding Mike's books for my kids when they will come and be able to read.Personally I think they are good for kids.Some could say they have much violence but for me they have less violence than an average tale.A wolf eating an old lady,a stepmother poisoning her "daughter"...there is violence and evil everywhere.
            I believe Mike's works (getting very personal now, call Mr Moorcock 'Mike' lol) will prove to be timeless and given I was around 13ish when I read my first MM novel and 20 odd years later my daughter at 12-13ish did the same, I can see my grand-person (gender neutral) doing the same thing. So hang in there Heiron, ya' kids'al love-em !

and over in the big black booth near the edge of the fairground, the last band is playing...

Comment

PS: Heiron, call your first boy Jerry (I would have) and your first girl Catherine or Una or Amelia - all good names for kids.

Comment

She finished Srayling Tree Monday afternoon and had already loaned it out by the evening. We were out at the pool and I was chatting with one of the neighbors, she asked to see the book I was reading " The Dragon in the Sword" She said so this the author you're always talking to Jim about. Yes. Have any others of his I could read? My daughter heard this and pipes in I DO I DO!! Runs back to the house and gets the Skrayling Tree for her. This morning she had Dreamthief's Daughter in tow. Proudly displayed, so the other children can see what a real book is.That's what she said.

I'm expecting any day now for her to demand we call her Oona.
                When she was an itty bitty little thing her name was Clifford the Big Red Dog and would not answer if we called her by her real name.
                Oh she'd kill me if she I knew I said that.

Comment

Working...
                X