Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Technological Singularity: Whose the Boss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reinart der Fuchs
    Mr. The Fox
    • May 2006

Technological Singularity: Whose the Boss?

MrWhosetheboss at Youtube posits: "The Metaverse could be a problem."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgJwPco3wew

Digital natives (babies) will grow into theses systems. Get ready for Disneyverse and Kaiser-Permanenteverse. I have to agree that Facebookverse doesn't have the ring Metaverse does.
    Infinite complexity according to simple rules.
  • Kymba334
    Eternal Champion
    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Reinart der Fuchs View Post
    MrWhosetheboss at Youtube posits: "The Metaverse could be a problem."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgJwPco3wew

Digital natives (babies) will grow into theses systems. Get ready for Disneyverse and Kaiser-Permanenteverse. I have to agree that Facebookverse doesn't have the ring Metaverse does.

With Generation Z at the helm what could possibly go wrong?

Unless of course there are already more creatures comparable to little old me amongst them making some moves !
    🙄 ... damn, the link is gone, nevermind!

..Ah, two points of clarification : firstly, both the vtuber i name-dropped and myself are but mere messengers, though i do understand that it is in the very nature of the catastrophe that is the social media beast - to merely bring up the subject of its horrors can catch one up in them!

Secondly, i do realize that a certain self - styled Master of The Universe created the mega-corporation that soon (perhaps) will henceforth be re-branded as Meta.
    Control of that force of the internet has become...problematic of late.

Never been a part of that scene personally speaking and from where i stand it all seems very quaint looking way back to 2007 : https://youtu.be/6rNgCnY1lPg
    Last edited by Kymba334; 11-14-2021, 07:01 PM.
    Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

• Reinart der Fuchs
      Mr. The Fox
      • May 2006

Greatervereses and Lesserverses and Privateverses and Pay-To-Touchverses. Oh, dear! I've been Jabbed!
      Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

• Pietro_Mercurios
        Eternal Champion
        • Oct 2004

I've been on the internet since the days of 24 & 48kb modems. Back in the Wild West days, when it looked like anarchy & freedom might rule. An open space for ideas and experimentation.

Of course the dreamers, the prospectors, the hackers & the crackers of the the early days of the open source developer days of, The Cathedral and the Bazaar, were quickly gazumped by the big guns of the modern day equivalents of the ranchers, the railway barons, the oilmen & steel magnates. Data miners & shapers.

First came across the concept of a collective virtual reality, in Christopher Priest's 1977 novel, A Dream of Wessex. Didn't really grasp all of it at the time, but the central idea of existing & even getting lost in an illusional shared reality, stayed with me.

Of course, Zuckerberg's pronouncement of his intended Meta-verse & the name change, was at least partially to distract from the revelations of how Facebook profited from sowing the seeds of fear, paranoia & hate, through its algorithms.

How Facebook got addicted to spreading misinformation

Frances Haugen says Facebook's algorithms are dangerous.

Nor is it alone. TikTok, Google,
        YouTube, etc. etc. etc. Data mining systems, basically feeding upon human negativity.

The modern internet reminds me of the Mathmos, a living lake of positively charged magnetic energy, in the 1968 movie, Barbarella, which feeds on the negativity & the flesh of the inhabitants living in the city built over it. As described to Barbarella by Duran Duran, himself.

The other film reference it reminds me of is the creature of unfettered Id energy, manifested by the near limitless power of the the ancient machineries of the long extinct Krell civilisation, 1956 movie, Forbidden Planet.

Still love this place this, though. A living monument to the youthful optimism of the early web.

Comment

• EverKing
          Eternal Companion
          • Jan 2004

Whatever promise they have about egalitarianism and the "Metaverse" being a great equalizer and avenue of wish fulfillment if the past 30 years of digital evolution has taught us anything its that it will become twisted, corporatized, and manipulated. Maybe I'm just an old fart--or older than my age implies--but I struggle enough with the utter destruction of privacy in the modern web; this just seems yet another avenue for that.
          "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
          --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

• Navigator
            Chaos Engineer
            • Jun 2010

I think everyone can see the damage that social media has done to our society. Those of us who came of age before the advent of the information era have a vantage point that allows us to see the trajectory that we are on. The sci-fi prophets who inspire us were truly seers. I remember an interview where Mike was asked if he thought we were living in an Orwellian future. His reply was that we were living in a Phillip Dick future. Technologically there are many writers who have seen what is coming. I recently reread The Winds of Limbo and found an ominously familiar take on society itself.

If we do not plunge ourselves back into the dark ages in some apocalyptic event, VR is the future. Bulky headsets and clunky controllers will become a pair of glasses and tight fitting peripherals that are barely noticeable. It is exciting yet terrifying. The power of imagination will be unleashed on those who have little imagination. The results will surely transform society as we know it.

All of this being said, I recently expanded my stock portfolio by buying into FB. It is something I believe is inevitable. I am not a fan of social media but the digital transformation of society is only beginning. I do not by any means think it necessarily a good thing, but I am simply trying to be ahead of the curve when it comes to investing. Morally I struggled with this. It feels like investing in pharmaceutical companies at the dawn of the opioid crisis.

I('d) tell you all, we are young at the end of this cycle, and there may be no rest even when we are done.- Devin Townsend

Comment

• Heresiologist
              Mothra Worshipper
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Navigator View Post
              All of this being said, I recently expanded my stock portfolio by buying into FB. It is something I believe is inevitable. I am not a fan of social media but the digital transformation of society is only beginning. I do not by any means think it necessarily a good thing, but I am simply trying to be ahead of the curve when it comes to investing. Morally I struggled with this. It feels like investing in pharmaceutical companies at the dawn of the opioid crisis.
              Aww, man! All a good man like yourself needed to do, to let the evil of Fb triumph, was nothing, but instead you invested in it. ;)

Anyway, just when I thought it was safe to forget about web 2.0, here comes Fb carrying the web 3.0 banner. Cripes, when they aren't losing your data they're selling--oops, strike that--I mean monetizing it, and now they seem to want everybody to live inside their bubble even more than they already do.

Can't say I appreciate all the "it's inevitable" patter. Sounds way too much like web 3.0's way of saying, "there is no alternative."

Instead of Meta I propose "Faceboot". It's Literally Orwellian... and forever.

Comment

• Pietro_Mercurios
                Eternal Champion
                • Oct 2004

A YouTube & Vice short from two or three years ago. HyperNormalization, the view from Adam Curtis:

... ... ... ... ...

Meanwhile in the real World, from over on the Irish Times site, WhatsApp, now owned by Meta (formerly Facebook), has been stiffed for a €225 million fine & made to change its European Union EULA over less than transparent client data harvesting:

WhatsApp refines privacy to comply with Irish watchdog’s order

(https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...rder-1.4734816)

Comment

• Navigator
                  Chaos Engineer
                  • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Heresiologist View Post
                  Can't say I appreciate all the "it's inevitable" patter. Sounds way too much like web 3.0's way of saying, "there is no alternative."

Instead of Meta I propose "Faceboot". It's Literally Orwellian... and forever.
                  Faceboot:) I like it. I am no fan of FB. It has impacted too many people in negative ways. I haven’t had an account in many years. My interest is only held by the VR aspect of Meta. I find the tech fascinating. I would much rather someone else spearhead the building of a digital hub. It is the immersive experience that I think is inevitable, not necessarily Zucker’s vision.

In a world that is increasingly controlled by corporations can the juggernauts be contained? It is what we have been warned of for decades now by cyberpunk writers. While political turmoil grows within nations, the international digital tentacles reach beyond borders.

You are right about the invasion of privacy being Orwellian. Most of society seems to shrug off this concern for the sake of convenience. Those who pass legislation are often too ignorant of these matters to truly make a difference. Are we seeing the birth of a technocracy?
                  I('d) tell you all, we are young at the end of this cycle, and there may be no rest even when we are done.- Devin Townsend

Comment

• Kymba334
                    Eternal Champion
                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Navigator View Post

Faceboot:) I like it.

In a world that is increasingly controlled by corporations can the juggernauts be contained? It is what we have been warned of for decades now by cyberpunk writers. While political turmoil grows within nations, the international digital tentacles reach beyond borders.

You are right about the invasion of privacy being Orwellian. Most of society seems to shrug off this concern for the sake of convenience. Those who pass legislation are often too ignorant of these matters to truly make a difference. Are we seeing the birth of a technocracy?
                    That does seem to be the flow of current events Navigator... plus a rising tide of authoritarianism on a global scale.

Will the electronic lotus eaters of the near future have to rise at their screens when this old anthem plays?
                    🙄 : https://youtu.be/W-LQahV5pV8
                    Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

Working...
                    X