Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Mike's Forthcoming Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales from Tanelorn
    replied
    Mike I very much enjoyed the Mayflower editions artwork by Bob Haberfield and agree it helps initially to attract the potential buyers to your work.

Leave a comment:

• jan
    replied
    more illustrations

i hope this new editions have more illlustrations inside the book kinda like c.s lewis's narnia n the lord of the rings trilogy

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc
    BookPeople has signed copies in stock, Joe. I'm not sure if that is what you would get if you order from them (www.bookpeople.com), but you may be able to request one...
    Hello Doc,

Thanks very much!

That sounds really good,I will have ask them if an autographed copy is available.

I probably will order one this month.

That's cool, it will be much better to buy one from them. :)

-Joe

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    BookPeople has signed copies in stock, Joe. I'm not sure if that is what you would get if you order from them (www.bookpeople.com), but you may be able to request one...

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied
    Originally posted by John Picacio
    Hi, Joe --

Thanks to you and Mike for the kind words.

To answer your question, there is no special edition planned for my art book. MonkeyBrain printed the dustjackets, and then decided not to do a special edition of the book. The abridged version of the story is that the publisher and the distributor miscommunicated during the solicitation stage and the distributor never solicited orders for the special edition. So with no orders in place, the publisher decided to scrap plans for the special edition. The good news is the hardcover trade edition is selling very well.
    Hello John,

Thanks! It is an honour to hear from you!

I really love your artwork.

Thanks so much for the explanation!

I am happy to hear that the book is selling!

Good Luck!

-Joe

Leave a comment:

• John Picacio
    replied
    One more thing

Just want to add one other thing --

I noticed a few readers weren't familiar with me, and that's perfectly fine. For any folks that are curious, here are a couple of resources for your perusal:

My website:

http://www.johnpicacio.com/index2.html

A brief interview with me at Barnes & Noble.com (dated spring 2006):

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...ly=ITV&z=y#ITV

Another short interview here at RevolutionSF, conducted by Rick Klaw (dated July 2006) / (also a small gallery and a review of COVER STORY):

revolutionsf.com [broken link]
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 04:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• John Picacio
    replied
    RE -- COVER STORY: THE ART OF JOHN PICACIO

Hi, Joe --

Thanks to you and Mike for the kind words.

To answer your question, there is no special edition planned for my art book. MonkeyBrain printed the dustjackets, and then decided not to do a special edition of the book. The abridged version of the story is that the publisher and the distributor miscommunicated during the solicitation stage and the distributor never solicited orders for the special edition. So with no orders in place, the publisher decided to scrap plans for the special edition. The good news is the hardcover trade edition is selling very well.

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    Sorry, Joe, but I'm not sure. I think I have the regular edition, which is pretty damned good.

Hi, Mike!

I just wrote that post. That is one fast answer! Thanks!

Yes,I agree,it is an excellent book! I never saw an art book that was so packed with stuff. I the ones I used to see in the past,where somewhat thin.

I did read the Mojo version of Behold the Man. I gave it to my friend,because he also is a big reader. I will get another for my collection some time. hehe!

I think I will buy the regular,then. I just thought I'd check so I was not missing out on something extra that I should be seeing,haha!

Thanks very much!

-Joe

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Sorry, Joe, but I'm not sure. I think I have the regular edition, which is pretty damned good.

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    John Picacio illustrated the Mojo Behold the Man and Tales from the Texas Woods. He's done a great amount of work since then, mostly book jackets, including for A Canticle for Leibowitz and a whole bunch of classics, as well as new books. He has a web site (and a 'The Art of...' book). One of the best artists working today.
    Mike,

Do you happen to know what the Special Edition of "The Art of John Picacio" might be?

I looked at one of the books and on the inside jacket, it had two prices.

The regular was around $39.95 USD and next to it, was printed,"Special Edition", $79.95 USD.

I did not buy it yet,because I was not sure if I should find the other printing of the book. I wonder what the difference is between the two editions.

It was a very nice and heavy book,I'm going to go back and get it,but I will buy the special one,if I can find it first.

I am just curious.

Thanks!

-Joe

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Couldn't agree more. I owe a lot of my massive sales of the 60s and 70s in England to the Australian artist Bob Haberfield, who was on my paperback covers from the beginning until he stopped doing commercial work.

Leave a comment:

• Miqque
    replied
    I've always enjoyed Mike Kaluta's work. He did some great Batman, amongst other things. Most of his comic work tends to suffer from poor reproduction of fine-line work. His storytelling and framing, as well as his gut understanding of the characters he's limning, are excellent.

Lots of good artwork going on vis a vis comic cover art. I like Ariel Olivetti, Tim Bradstreet (mostly on Hellblazer) and Adam Hughes (Catwoman covers have been da bomb!). Alex Ross is simply stellar, often providing iconic covers (and interior and commercial work). Not to short others, but these stand out. Books tend to be more simple graphics these days with big lettering. This is a pity, as I strongly believe a great cover improves sales, promotes longevity and collectivity, and introduces folks to new artists. I find this is more important for paperbacks than even for hardbacks, as they are smaller and a dynamic picture is more quickly picked up by the scanning eye than author or title. (Most folks don't read as fast, so the image comes across faster than the words, particularly if a face or figure is prominent.)

<- do a lot of this!

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    John Picacio illustrated the Mojo Behold the Man and Tales from the Texas Woods. He's done a great amount of work since then, mostly book jackets, including for A Canticle for Leibowitz and a whole bunch of classics, as well as new books. He has a web site (and a 'The Art of...' book). One of the best artists working today.

Leave a comment:

• Wolvercote
    replied
    I've always loved Kaluta's work. Terrific match. I'm unfamiliar with the other artist. Brom would be a good one too for a future volume. This is super to hear.

Leave a comment:

• Hieronymus
    replied
    Yes Mike, I think Gary Gianni's works are superb for Conan. I bought his portfolio las year in Glasgow, in my opinion he is one of the best artists about the Conan character

Leave a comment:

Working...
X