Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Derry & Toms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derry & Toms

I have two questions (apologies in advance if they are stupid questions ):

Is there really a Derry & Toms in London? I've been to London twice, both times when I was much younger and didn't have the mobility (with my parents) to check out whether it was fact or fiction.
    and...
    How come I've picked up that cool Stormbringer icon alongside my avatar?

If either of the above are silly feel free to respond accordingly.

and over in the big black booth near the edge of the fairground, the last band is playing...

Hi Muroc, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kensington_Roof_Gardens
    "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Thanks Talisant. I must admit I always thought it was fictitious so I guess now I'll have to put it on my list of 'places to see' when I next head over to the old country (along with Portmeirion).
      I think I've figured the sword bit out too.
      Cheers.

and over in the big black booth near the edge of the fairground, the last band is playing...

Comment

I used to go to Derry and Toms Roof Garden to write. It later became the roof garden over Biba's and is now owned, I believe, by Richard Branson and operated as a club. You could still have lunch there, the last time I looked. I had my 50th birthday party there, which was great fun. The pink flamingoes were still there and were the inspiration for the giant flamingoes in Hawkmoon.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Although I've heard of the Kensington roof gardens, Derry and Toms is a bit before my time so I'd always wondered myself if it was a real or imagined location. I'd never got round to finding out for myself, so thanks to Muroc for raising this. And thanks to Mike for his reminiscence - little things like that help bring extra life to your books.
          Last edited by Marca; 08-29-2006, 01:12 PM.
          'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
            I used to go to Derry and Toms Roof Garden to write...The pink flamingoes were still there and were the inspiration for the giant flamingoes in Hawkmoon.
            http://www.geocities.com/londondestr.../faveroof.html

"A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

As an aside, the bas-reliefs on 'Barkers' department store in Ken High Street feature a rather lovely 'Viktoria-Luise' type early Zeppelin and a charming stylistically-curved amphibian 'plane, too.

Comment

For those who haven't seen it, here's a modern picture of the Roof Gardens (from street level):

(Photo by Thomas Blomberg and licensed under the Creative Commons_Attribution ShareAlike 2.5 License. Source: Wikipedia)

Google Maps aerial picture of the gardens
                Last edited by David Mosley; 09-06-2006, 10:15 AM.
                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I always imagined it to be much taller - maybe 10 floors or so. Oh well, probably a good thing 'cause I'm not keen on heights

Comment

There's a rather nice Roux Bros. restaurant with renovated modernist 1950's water garden at the top of House of Fraser in Guildford, as a sort of Home Counties ersatz experience...

Comment

Working...
                    X