Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

John Davey Launches MOORCOGRAPHY.ORG The Michael Moorcock Bibliography Web Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News: John Davey Launches MOORCOGRAPHY.ORG The Michael Moorcock Bibliography Web Site

Dear all,

John & Maureen Davey are proud to present Moorcography.org: The Michael Moorcock Bibliography, a work in (slow) progress.

The homepage address is this: https://moorcography.org,

although this page explains more about the website: https://moorcography.org/about.

It is still in its very earliest stages of development, and will take many years to come even close to completion. So we've decided to launch the site now (as it says above) as a work in slow progress.

The only two areas with any (vaguely) substantial data entries are...

https://moorcography.org/books

and https://moorcography.org/appendices.

The intention is to enter more data each and every day, although not always solely in those two areas.

N.B. (1): Please note that the site has not really been designed to be viewed on a mobile/cell ’phone, and would be best experienced on a desktop, laptop or tablet.

N.B. (2): Through no fault of our own, it is also not best viewed using the "discontinued" (i.e. superceded) 'Internet Explorer' web browser.

N.B. (3): For those of you interested in knowing a little more about the life and work of Michael Moorcock, please see: https://moorcography.org/michael-moorcock-2.

Any additions, comments, corrections or queries -- you know where to find us...

Thanx & best,

John & Maureen Davey.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Dear all,

Here's another version of the above, for those of you viewing in this site's 'Dark' format...

John & Maureen Davey are proud to present Moorcography.org: The Michael Moorcock Bibliography, a work in (slow) progress.

The homepage address is this: https://moorcography.org,

although this page explains more about the website: https://moorcography.org/about.

It is still in its very earliest stages of development, and will take many years to come even close to completion. So we've decided to launch the site now (as it says above) as a work in slow progress.

The only two areas with any (vaguely) substantial data entries are...

https://moorcography.org/books

and https://moorcography.org/appendices.

The intention is to enter more data each and every day, although not always solely in those two areas.

N.B. (1): Please note that the site has not really been designed to be viewed on a mobile/cell ’phone, and would be best experienced on a desktop, laptop or tablet.

N.B. (2): Through no fault of our own, it is also not best viewed using the "discontinued" (i.e. superceded) 'Internet Explorer' web browser.

N.B. (3): For those of you interested in knowing a little more about the life and work of Michael Moorcock, please see: https://moorcography.org/michael-moorcock-2.

Any additions, comments, corrections or queries -- you know where to find us...

Thanx & best,

John & Maureen Davey.
    Last edited by JohnDavey; 07-25-2020, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDavey View Post
      Dear all,

Here's another version of the above, for those of you viewing in this site's 'Dark' format...
      Thank you. Contrast, especially when it comes to text and background is your friend.

Regarding your Nota Benes

1. Far as I've seen (admittedly, just a quick gander on a mobile emulator), you're doing okay on the non-desktop viewing front. These days mobile friendliness is pretty much built-in to Wordpress and its "official" themes. And even outside of Wordpress approved themes, any theme that isn't mobile ready is seriously behind the curve.

2. You shouldn't worry about catering to Internet Explorer. It wouldn't surprise me if your theme barfs up an "Upgrade Your Browser" notice to any site visitors using it. At any rate, hopefully, your IE SiteMode plugin is more than enough. N.B. I say this as a long ago veteran of a thousand thousand IE compatibility wars.
      Last edited by Heresiologist; 07-24-2020, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Dear Heresiologist,

Because I've been using columns throughout Moorcography.org, they don't display as such on my ’phone, although I have just discovered that the ’phone itself allows a "Desktop version" which helps (but is almost unreadably small).

I am very faithful to my oldest friends, and have struggled to abandon Internet Explorer as my browser of choice, although Multiverse.org is being built using Edge.

Best,

John.

Comment

Reminds me of an old joke-ism:
          If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDavey View Post
            Dear Heresiologist,

Because I've been using columns throughout Moorcography.org, they don't display as such on my ’phone, although I have just discovered that the ’phone itself allows a "Desktop version" which helps (but is almost unreadably small).

I am very faithful to my oldest friends, and have struggled to abandon Internet Explorer as my browser of choice, although Multiverse.org is being built using Edge.

Best,

John.
            Hello again John.

Okay, so you have a small but critical number of site users who have yet to let go of IE. It's been maybe a decade since I last experienced such a thing, but it happens. If they aren't running IE 11 (on Windows 7, 8 or 10), they really should. It's not safe otherwise.

I'm not sure why using columns would be a problem for any modern, or even semi-modern, browser. The usual behaviour with them is they appear to next to one another when there's room and stack on top of one another otherwise. And that is what appears to be happening for my rather long in the tooth iPhone. It also looks fine on my even older iPad (but the Mobile Menu is borked, though it works fine on the iPhone--a quick'n'dirty fix for that would be to list some pages, for instance the ones with substantial content, in the footer).

Anyway, are you using a phone that is as ancient, in internet terms, as Internet Explorer or maybe a Microsoft phone that runs IE? Because Safari, especially iOS Safari, is the new IE, so I'd expect it more likely for layout and functionality problems to crop up there than in other smartphone browsers.

I sympathize with your desire to maintain backward compatibility. But I wouldn't expect Microsoft to invest a whole lot of resources into staying on top of security flaws cropping up in a largely discontinued product, especially one they'd really like you to stop using.

At any rate you've woken the "there's a problem to be solved" beast in me. If you don't mind I'm going to poke around the "problem space" to see what sort of solutions there are out there.

Cheers and good luck

Comment

Dear Heresiologist,

After three solid months of getting the website to look (more or less) exactly the way I want it to, anything that deviates from that is an annoyance. But I'm trying to remain rather more focused on pressing forward with the site's growth than worrying overmuch about any (limited) viewing wobbles.

Best,

John.

Comment

Thanks David and John. Good to have this resource and look forward to seeing it evolve and grow in time.

Comment

Dear all,

Well, it's been a little over a week since we launched Moorcography.org, and I've been getting a lot of positive responses (and hits).

For the last few days, I've been focusing less on the books and more on getting the ball rolling for the "Other Listings" of Nova (+) magazines, Novae Terrae/New Worlds, Science Fantasy, Science Fiction Adventures and SF Impulse.

But I've one small book-related query, with which I'm hoping someone might be able to help...

Namely: Th
                  e Books Of Corum box set, Granada, c. 1980: does anyone know its price (stickered only, not printed on the slip-case)?

Thanks & best,

John.

Comment

Just checked my copy John and there nada on the case: no printed price, no sticker.

Comment

Dear Rothgo,

Thanx for checking. Hopefully someone out there might be able to resolve this mystery...?

Best,

John.

Comment

Dear all,

I've another small book-related query (for Moorcography.org), with which I'm hoping y'all might be able to help...

The Brothel In Rosenstrasse trade-paperback, Carroll & Graf, 1988: does anyone have (or have access to) a copy?

I have it recorded as published in August 1988, price $6.95, I.S.B.N. 0-88184-406-3; yes?

Also, if anyone does have a copy to hand, I'd really appreciate a front-cover scan, if at all possible, please…

Thanks & best.

John.

Comment

Sorry: Don't have that one John.

Comment

Working...
                          X