Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Who knew that James Colvin was MM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales from Tanelorn
    replied
    David Dont tell him! Mike will be fine so long as he doesnt realise!
    Incidentally thats my plan also.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Bugger! I knew something felt funny...

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    It's well documented that the real Michael Moorcock died of lung cancer in 1971, so I don't know who you are either.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    At that time my wife Hilary said 'One day you're going to wake up in the morning and not know who you are -- and I'm not going to tell you...'

Leave a comment:

• Flame Fang
    replied
    This was exactly where my thoughts were leading too, definately a precurser to Erekose!!

Leave a comment:

• Aurelius
    replied
    Originally posted by Marca View Post
    I'm surprised Mike didn't fall victim to Multiple Personality Disorder, with all these pseudonyms being used left, right and centre, and having to comment on his own work as if it had been written by someone else.
    The idea of the creator of the Eternal Champion having multiple 'identities' of his own seems appropriate though!

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Of course New Worlds never, to my knowledge, had 'of science fiction' as a tag. And Colvin was conceived by Carnell (John Carnell though we all called him Ted) an killed off by Charles Platt. JC was a coincidence. Maybe we live in a Christian culture for which the initials resonate. After I'd ceated Joseph Kiss (a name taken from a shop in Notting Hill -- like Cornelius) I realised I was still using the same consonants -- and Jack Karaquazian was equally accidental (the surname taken from an Armenian in Cairo). I'd forgotten that Lewd Worlds joke. Some people called it 'Lewd Words' or 'Nude Worlds'.
    I don't think it was much of a secret that James Colvin was a pseudonym of mine. Don't forget that I had a lot of contacts with fanzines and fans and made no secret of the name. It was commonly done in magazines if an author had too much work in an issue to put a pseudonym on a story and that's why Wrecks of Time, written when I couldn't get hold of a serial from anyone. Colvin became a house name for reviewers, too. Famously, Jim Blish became convinced I'd written a bad review of one of his books because the reviewer was 'Joyce Churchill' (I think Mike Harrison) and he said to me 'everyone knows you use JC for your pseudonyms'. I'm pretty sure that pseudonym was connected in some way with Mike's partner of the time. He hadn't chosen JC deliberately in other words. To this day I find myself coming up with names I like and have to change them because I've inadvertently used JC or JK.

Leave a comment:

• Reinart der Fuchs
    replied
    We love you newsbot.

Leave a comment:

• Sir John Barbican Begg
    replied
    Mondo Moore: Alan Moore on New Ideas, Old Ideas - Newsarama

Mondo Moore: Alan Moore on New Ideas, Old Ideas
    Newsarama, NJ

In the text backup to this volume of the League [Century:1969], we’ve got a story called “Minions of the Moon.” It’s serialized in Lewd Worlds of Science Fiction, edited by James Colvin in 1969.

Lewd Worlds of Science Fiction was a joke name that the science fiction writer Brian Aldiss made up for Michael Moorecock’s New Worlds of Science Fiction when it was being attacked by the censors for all of its sexual content in 1969. And James Colvin is a pseudonym of Michael Moorcock. So as with everything in the League, everything is some reference to some obscure piece of literary or cultural trivia.

Read m(o)ore...
    Last edited by David Mosley; 04-28-2009, 08:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    but does brand drive an alvis ?
    i mean, yoo might have to drive your own motor

Leave a comment:

• johneffay
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock View Post
    it struck me that Stephen Fry might actually make a decent Cornell
    Surely he's not sleazy and lecherous enough? Russel Brand might be able to carry it off...

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    charles platt slipped an obituary into nw
    as a joke
    and one contributor actually burst into tears, i learned, and brooded about it for months.

Leave a comment:

• Marca
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock View Post
    That techique of writing letters for a letter column is the best way to encourage readers to write in and I used it on Tarzan, Sexton Blake and even some fanzines.
    And indeed the letters page in New Worlds 142 had a short comment by a Mr R Lumley....

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    some mysterious force just wiped out my answer
    of course it could be my clumsy neuropathic digits
    anyway --
    my first wife Hilary Bailey told me during this period that I would wake up one morning and not know what my own name was -- "and I'll refuse to tell you..." Of course parts of HB stories were written by me and she had material as by me and she had also written the odd bit of Colvin so it's fair to say we were both confused.
    That techique of writing letters for a letter column is the best way to encourage readers to write in and I used it on Tarzan, Sexton Blake and even some fanzines. When the column first started, a good half of the letters were written 'in house' but very soon pretty much all the letters would be genuine. I'm not sure I used ANY pseudonyms after the 60s and had reprinted the pseudonymous books under my own name, unless, like LSD Dossier, they contained significant amounts of another writer's work -- where I'd rewritten, rather than initiated. Needless to say, I was rather surprised to find those pseudonymous books remaining in print until the present! I still have a soft spot for the comedy thrillers and had wondered about doing another Jerry Cornell book sometime. I notice that 'Kingdom' in the TV series drives an Alvis and it struck me that Stephen Fry might actually make a decent Cornell, especially if he provides his own motor...

Leave a comment:

• Marca
    replied
    I'm surprised Mike didn't fall victim to Multiple Personality Disorder, with all these pseudonyms being used left, right and centre, and having to comment on his own work as if it had been written by someone else.

I'm intensely interested in Mike's 60s work (as I'm sure everybody knows by now), mainly because of the sheer breadth of his output then.

A further note on Colvin - the cover of Golden Nugget no. 8 lists Colvin as a contributor, but there is nothing inside by JC (nor is there an article on 2001). There is however, The Man With The Burning Brain (a retitling of Consuming Passion) by 'Keith Bishop'. This must have appeared around the same time that the story appeared (as by Mike) in New Worlds. They both even share the same Cawthorn title page illo. I wonder if anyone read both mags in 1966?

And of course Golden Nugget had Environment Problem by 'Ken Macbeth', seven years before its first official publication in 1973, and in slightly different form.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Cornelius letter was by Mike either. It wouldn't have been the first time he'd tried to kick start a debate via a letters column. I note that it appeared without comment... of course I'm probably completely wrong
    Last edited by Marca; 02-02-2008, 04:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X