Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

De Camp and "Homodeogenesis"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin
    replied
    Thanks for the reply.

It's not a bad book, the main character is interesting as he was born with no ability to perceive the gods, independant of the effects of the ring, he therefore is a sceptic in a world of believers.

Martin.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    While I read a lot of de Camp, especially his humorous fiction, I haven't actually read The Tritonian Ring (not for want of trying to find it when I was young and on a de Camp jag). However, the idea of the human will creating its own gods isn't a new one, of course, and you could also say it's the theme of Behold the Man. Such ideas were probably in the air when I was young. Philip K. Dick and the sub-genre he represents (the Galaxy writers of the 50s and 60s) were very fond of it.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    started a topic De Camp and "Homodeogenesis"

De Camp and "Homodeogenesis"

I have recently re-read Sprague De Camp's book the Tritonian Ring and in it is a version of one of the Multiverse's, in my opinion, important concepts - that people create gods and devils by the action of their belief. In the De Camp book the ring in question is made of meteoric iron (the book is set in Atlantis at the end of the Bronze Age), the gods are interested in the ring because iron interrupts their telepathic connection to their human believers and without the ability to interact with their believers belief will wither and the gods fade into non-being. I wondered if you, Mike, had read the book and if it had any influence on your development of the Multiverse?

Martin.
Working...
X