Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Forum is back but who is back ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white wolf's son
    replied
    Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post

At least for me, moving from desktop use to tablet has definitely changed my internet habits. FB - as much as I loathe it - is very easy to use on smaller devices, since 'discussion' isn't really a thing there. Short, quick comments and 'likes' are more common. And I can take the tablet to the sofa, or the bathroom...lol.

The majority of people I know have actually moved away from both forums and FB in favor of Twitter and Instagram, neither of which I like but are easier to use on a phone, I suppose. I do prefer forums because they're places where real discussions can take place amongst people who share common interests. But with the tablet...I find I use it to look at weather and news and other things that don't require commenting. And I use FB because it's fairly easy (and I end up joining discussion groups there, but don't participate much).

Life changes have also affected my internet habits. In 2014 my dad passed and I had to take on more responsibility with both the family business, and helping mom. In 2017 mom sold the business and her house, and bought a new place and we moved in to help her out. Now I'm a caregiver and unemployed...and I didn't realize how much I played on the computer whilst at work...lol.

das
    Das , Being a Carer is a full time job , my mum took care of my Grandmother for years although she kept reasonable health until the last 3 months of her life , she was still sharp as a tack but weakened quickly and passed when she was 94 ( she just ADORED The Chaos Twins and Xiombarg Junior ) . I wish you all the best and hope your mum is ok . I don't do any FB or Twitter , nothing like that , The Chaos Team do but it doesn't interest me , I have enough trouble working the computer !! Good to see you back and again please return the Takeaway Pizza machine to The Moorcock Inn , the Ziva clones are not happy

Leave a comment:

• dasNdanger
    replied
    Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
    An interesting notion that the advance of tablets might be a cause for a reduction in active participation in fora and the like. I've been blaming Google and the clones thereof, as the results of searches have become little more than a yellow-pages of who pays the most. Almost every hit a shop or the like.
    At least for me, moving from desktop use to tablet has definitely changed my internet habits. FB - as much as I loathe it - is very easy to use on smaller devices, since 'discussion' isn't really a thing there. Short, quick comments and 'likes' are more common. And I can take the tablet to the sofa, or the bathroom...lol.

The majority of people I know have actually moved away from both forums and FB in favor of Twitter and Instagram, neither of which I like but are easier to use on a phone, I suppose. I do prefer forums because they're places where real discussions can take place amongst people who share common interests. But with the tablet...I find I use it to look at weather and news and other things that don't require commenting. And I use FB because it's fairly easy (and I end up joining discussion groups there, but don't participate much).

Life changes have also affected my internet habits. In 2014 my dad passed and I had to take on more responsibility with both the family business, and helping mom. In 2017 mom sold the business and her house, and bought a new place and we moved in to help her out. Now I'm a caregiver and unemployed...and I didn't realize how much I played on the computer whilst at work...lol.

das

Leave a comment:

• Rothgo
    replied
    An interesting notion that the advance of tablets might be a cause for a reduction in active participation in fora and the like. I've been blaming Google and the clones thereof, as the results of searches have become little more than a yellow-pages of who pays the most. Almost every hit a shop or the like.

Leave a comment:

• dasNdanger
    replied
    The timing was perfect. I haven't been on any forums lately due to using a tablet now, and I find posting without a real keyboard to be a pain in the backside. So mostly I lurk on news sites or 'like' things on Facebook - easy peasy to do on a tablet. But with the quarantine and having more time to sit at a real computer with a real keyboard and - oh, what a difference! Then I see the forum is back up and I had to hurry my fingers over here to say Howdy, Pards! Hopefully I'll do more than lurk, though I am a bit rusty on the stories, seeing as I haven't read any new Moorcock in several years. Actually, I want more of Mike's Zenith. I guess because I like the era of the character...the 20s-40s is kind of my entertainment niche. Anyhoo...it's good to be back!

das

Leave a comment:

• Random Dave
    replied
    With all that has been going on in the world, I had missed this new conjunction of the Multiverse.
    Glad to be back here

Leave a comment:

• M. Kammerer
    replied
    Hi all

Another traveller returning. I remember past incarnations of the Miscellany, back to the original Q&A around 2002, but i can´t remember who I was or how many.

The concjuntions have it that I am about to begin a (re)read of the histories of the Eternal Champion, in chaotic order, starting with The Singing Citadel which re-appeared from another time stream aka the dark side of the bookshelf.

Leave a comment:

• Pietro_Mercurios
    replied
    Originally posted by voilodian ghagnasdiak View Post
    6 years is a drop in the bucket for a band of temporal adventurers.
    Hello and I hope everyone is well in our new coronaverse.
    In The English Assassin, Jerry is listening to a Hawkwind song on his tape player entitled Captain Justice.
    Was that a real song or just a part of the story?
    I honestly didn't think this website would resurface and offer a thank you to the rebuilders.
    VG
    Ahoy hoy, VG! Welcome home.

Leave a comment:

• voilodian ghagnasdiak
    replied
    6 years is a drop in the bucket for a band of temporal adventurers.
    Hello and I hope everyone is well in our new coronaverse.
    In The English Assassin, Jerry is listening to a Hawkwind song on his tape player entitled Captain Justice.
    Was that a real song or just a part of the story?
    I honestly didn't think this website would resurface and offer a thank you to the rebuilders.
    VG

Leave a comment:

• Tenar
    replied
    I am back. But I was mostly a lurker so I don't expect anyone to remember me. I don't really do facebook and godreads and it seems I am an incredibly slow and clumsy traveller on the moonbeam roads so it took me a while. Imagine my surprise when I came here for the wiki and found the forum open instead. It is nice to read familiar names. I hope all of you are well.

Leave a comment:

• CandyFlossCow
    replied
    cornelius-brothers-and-sister-rose-im-never-gonna-be-alone-anymore-united-artists-3.jpg

Leave a comment:

• devilchicken
    replied
    Hello All - amazing to see the forum back after so long. When I was on here before I was living and working in USA, now back in the UK with a completely different life, reading these posts on my phone.

Hope the last few years have been kind to everyone

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Welcome back to the forums Pikey!

Leave a comment:

• Pikey
    replied
    Well, this is a nice surprise I must say! ... good to be back!

Leave a comment:

• fammann
    replied
    Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
    filedata/fetch?id=427385&d=1579884554&type=thumb

Now, let's see if I can remember where everything is...
    Glad to see yo back.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Welcome back Marca! :-)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X