Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

About the Greek in the Dreamthief's daughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heiron
    replied
    It is true there are similar stories in many places.I have read many myths and legends from around the world about some underground realm,about how men came to the surface of the earth-supposing they were living inside the earth...(if you want I will try to find some of them)

I just wondered about the language.Why Ancient Greek?Yes,I understand that the name of the lost continet Lemuria was an inspiration but if there was to be any connection with ancient Greeks I would go for Atlantis instead.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    The inner world of the psyche made manifest!!

Leave a comment:

• Hieronymus
    replied
    Here we have ( as in other places in the world ) a lot of legends and fairy tales about "worlds" into italian caves.
    The "inner world" of Nazis was linked to the ancient tradition of Shamballah and Agarthi I know ( obviously those mithical people should have hated nazis ).
    For instance there are legends similar Off Moo people in Trentino ( Alps at the border with Austria ) or in the "Holy Cave" in Subiaco ( near Rome ) and in my family my father said the his grandfather spoke about a magical town hidden in giant caves in Sardinia.
    Probably thys kind of myth is common everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    I live fairly close to the Carlsbad caverns and based everything on ideas I had while in the cave system. I have read about Nazi 'hollow earth' theories and referenced some of these in The Final Programme, but I didn't know there was a similar Greek idea. Most of it, as I say, comes from my own imagination, including the names (which echo Lemuria a bit, however...)

Leave a comment:

• Heiron
    started a topic About the Greek in the Dreamthief's daughter

About the Greek in the Dreamthief's daughter

Ok,I had this question in my mind for a couple of years.
    Von Beck gets down into Earth-a hollow earth or something.There are myths and modern "theories" about these things.I have heard some nationalist Greeks(I myself was a member in an organization,though I never showed up after I signed in!) speaking of theories about a superior race speaking Ancient Greek .And the Nazis had a crush with similar theories so it fits well in the whole thing.

So,how did Mike came up with the world of Moo Uria?Mike,what were your sources/influences?It was a funny and interesting story...I was surprised!
Working...
X