Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

[Split from eBay thread]The Swords of Heaven...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Split from eBay thread]The Swords of Heaven...

Just won an auction for a copy of 'Swords of Heaven, Flowers of Hell.' Not sure of the condition, the seller just described it as used, but for £2.70 (inc. p&p) and seeing as how I've never even seen a copy before, I'm rather pleased.
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island
    Just won an auction for a copy of 'Swords of Heaven, Flowers of Hell.' Not sure of the condition, the seller just described it as used, but for £2.70 (inc. p&p) and seeing as how I've never even seen a copy before, I'm rather pleased.
    I checked about 10 days ago and there weren't any copies for sale. I guess I missed it. Well, maybe it's better. Wouldn't want competing on a copy with somebody here I hope to get a copy sometime for a reasonable price.

I did get a new copy of The Vengeance of Rome with a signed bookplate a week ago though!

Edit: Just checked eBay again. There was a copy of Swords of Heaven for $15. I Got it!
    Last edited by Oren; 08-04-2006, 01:22 PM.

Comment

As long as I can follow the story I'll be happy.

There will hopefully be a chance to improve on the condition if this one is unsatisfactory.

Originally posted by Oren Douek
      Edit: Just checked eBay again. There was a copy of Swords of Heaven for $15. I Got it!
      I've seen this listed in the front of books for so long, it's been tantalizing me since I first found out it existed and I couldn't get hold of it. Let's hope it's as good as we want it to be.
      Last edited by Governor of Rowe Island; 08-04-2006, 03:36 PM.
      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

If you like Howard Chaykin's artwork (as I do) I'm sure you'll love it. Chaykin's art in Swords of Heaven owes a lot to the style he brought to works like Empire and The Stars My Destination, although it's a little more conventional than those iirc. If either of you are familiar with those graphic novels you'll know what I mean.

Of course, all these works appeared in the late '70s before the term 'graphic novel' had been coined; in his introduction Mike uses the phrase 'illustrated narrative' to describe what he and Howard had created. I believe that all the text/dialogue is Mike's as well (I think he's confirmed that before but perhaps he can do so again?), so it's a true collaboration you're getting.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Yes, it's a true collaboration between me and Howard and is a non-apocryphal Eternal Champion story, as important to the cycle, say, as the current Elric series with Walter Simonson.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Any particular reason why it has never been reissued, Mike? It being an important part of the cycle, as you say, it would seem well overdue.

Comment

Nobody's ever asked to reissue it, Gov. Maybe I should publish the script somewhere. I can't, of course, reproduce Howard's artwork in any format I normally use for reprinting.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Mike, how about rewriting Swords of Heaven in short story form or whatever? As great as Howard's illustrations are, I'm sure it could stand on its own in a different format, and it would be nice for those who don't have the book to have access to the story in some way. Just a thought.
                'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

p.s. I wouldn't normally mention this on the ebay thread, but as some interest has been shown in Swords of Heaven, I have a 'rough' spare copy of the book if anyone's interested. The cover is heavily creased and detached from the book, but the main text block is pretty good. Any Miscellanists in the UK (it wouldn't be worth sending outside the UK) can have it cheap, with postage added. First come, first served, if anyone wants it.
                  'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Comment

Mark, any chance you think you could scan Mike's Introduction from Swords of Heaven for the Image Hive? If your 'rough' copy has already got a detached cover I don't think it would risk damaging it too much.
                    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I may have an extra copy of the Swords of Heaven book - I'll have to check my stacks. I thought you guys/gals might like to see the last spash-page without the text. I bought several pages of original artwork many years ago - this splash is the only one I kept:

Larger Image Here

-- John
                      \"No matter where you are, there you go.\"

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
                        Mark, any chance you think you could scan Mike's Introduction from Swords of Heaven for the Image Hive? If your 'rough' copy has already got a detached cover I don't think it would risk damaging it too much.
                        I can scan it David, but are we still able to upload stuff to the Image Hive? Let me know (either email offsite or here) and I'll try and get it done.

Comment

To Mark: Yes, uploading to the Hive is working fine. I've uploaded a bunch of new Introductions and stuff today. Have a go yourself, but let us know if you have any problems in the Image Hive forum.

To johnnyapollo: Would you mind if we put a copy of that splash page into the Image Hive as well?

Comment

Hey David,

Sure, put a copy up there. I've got some other images I don't believe has been added -- I'll get to photographing and send them on up. I've also got an original page from the Star*Reach Elric story by Robert Gould, and the Chaykin Elric Portfolio - I'm assuming the Bob Gould would go into the comics area - where should the portfolio go?

-- John
                            Last edited by johnnyapollo; 08-13-2006, 05:14 PM.
                            \"No matter where you are, there you go.\"

Comment

Thanks Johnny. That's great. We have an album for artists like Gould, Whelan, Cawthorn etc. Don't have a sub-album for Chaykin yet, but it's simple enough to create one.

Comment

Working...
                              X