Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Bibliography checklist (in Excel format)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bibliography checklist (in Excel format)

Here's a little something I've been working on for the past couple of weeks - a bibliographical 'checklist' of Mike's books. It's in Excel spreadsheet format, but in order to upload it I've had to put it into a ZIP archive, so you'll need WinZip (or equivalent) and Excel (or viewer) to open it.

As far as possible the checklist lists every novel, book or omnibus that Mike has written, but not anthologies he edited (ie Best SF Stories from New Worlds) or has featured in (ie A Spell of Seven), nor does it include magazines such as Science Fantasy or New Worlds. (That way surely madness lies. ) Neither have I included boxsets such as Multi-Dimensional Moorcock.

Where possible I've indicated when a book has appeared under more than one title (ie Phoenix in Obsidian & The Silver Warriors) with separate entries for each, as well as the books an omnibus contains.

I've included graphic novels such as The Swords of Heaven..., Multiverse and Elric: The Making of a Sorcerer but not comics such as 'Conan the Barbarian' or 'Tom Strong'.

Additional information you'll see is: Year of first publication, 1st UK hardcover publisher (where applicable), 1st & 2nd UK paperback publisher (where applicable), 1st US hardcover publisher (where applicable) and 1st US paperback publisher (again, where applicable).

Note: Books are not listed in precise published chronological order - I simply don't have the information. However, all books published in say, 1983, are listed together although the order is somewhat arbitary. As a basic rule of thumb though, original works appear before reprints and secondary appearences in omnibuses. (Hopefully it'll all make sense when you see the list.)

Lastly, I've included a numbering system for 'unique' books. For instance, Warriors of Mars (Compact 1965) gets a unique number, whereas City of the Beast (NEL 1971) doesn't because it's the same book under a different title. Again, Phoenix in Obsidian has a number because it's the first publication while The Silver Warriors (the US edition) doesn't.

Where a book has been substantially revised - ie Gloriana or The Steel Tsar - then each appearance has a unique number, but where the textual revisions are (afaik) 'less' significant (ie The Final Programme 1979 revised edition) they don't.

Really lastly - I know I've probably missed or omitted some book or omnibus from the the list. If so, let me know what it is and I'll update the spreadsheet. Also any comments or suggestions as well.

(One future 'update' might be to include ISBNs for reference purposes. If I can find the time.)

Last Updated: 29 Sept 2007
    - Added The Metatemporal Detective (Oct 2007) to checklists. Also added New Worlds: An Anthology (original & revised editions). 'Compact' titles listed chronologically. List renumbered to accommodate additions and amendments.

A note on the different versions below:
    MBC v1 is the originally formatted version with minor amendments to the original checklist.

MBC v2 has the same minor amendments, but has been re-formatted so that the 'Book Notes' appear on the far right side of the list rather than with the titles. I think this makes the checklist easier to read, but feedback is appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by David Mosley; 09-29-2007, 12:59 PM.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Oops, just spotted a handful of errors in the original checklist, so I've uploaded an amended version. (Sorry)
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

David, you rock!

Thanks so much for this.
      Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness.
      -Yousuf Karsh

Comment

Wow, that's quite impressive. Definitely very handy, though I somehow doubt I'll ever check off all those boxes. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Great work, David! An excellent reference, thank you.

One question.

How new a collection was 'Earl Aubec'? I can't remember if it was a newly assembled one or an expanded & renamed old one. If the former maybe it should have its own number?
          You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island
            How new a collection was 'Earl Aubec'? I can't remember if it was a newly assembled one or an expanded & renamed old one. If the former maybe it should have its own number?
            Guv, here's the content listing of EA (the UK version):

Earl Aubec
            • Earl Aubec (aka Master of Chaos)
              Jesting with Chaos (aka The Last Enchantment)
              The Greater Conquerer
              Going Home
              Hanging the Fool (aka Wheel of Fortune)
              Consuming Passion
              Wolf
              Environment Problem
              The Opium General
              A Dead Singer
              The Lovebeast
              The Ruins
              The Golden Barge
              The Deep Fix
              The Real Life Mr Newman
              Goodbye, Miranda
              Islands
              Some Reminiscenes of the Third World War
              • Casablanca
                Going to Canada
                Leaving Pasadena
                Crossing Into Cambodia
              Mars
              The Frozen Cardinal
              Peace on Earth
              The Mountain
              The Time Dweller
              Escape from Evening
              Waiting for the End of Time...
              The Stone Thing
              The Last Call
              My Life
              The Museum of the Future
              To Rescue Tanelorn...
            Much of EA had previously appeared in The Deep Fix, The Time Dweller, The Singing Citadel, My Experiences in the Third World War, Elric at the End of Time, and Casablanca. The White Wolf version has 'Sir Milk-and-Blood' (rather than 'To Rescue Tanelorn...') which appears in Tales from the Texas Woods.

So, I think only 'Going Home', 'Environment Problem', 'My Life' and 'The Museum of the Future' don't appear in any of the other books on the list (although a quick rummage through the Moorcock collections at hand hasn't thrown them up I've a feeling I've seen the first two stories elsewhere).

If those four qualify EA for it's own number I can make that amendment easily.

ETA: I've uploaded a different version of the checklist (v 1.5.1) as well as amending the original with Guv's suggestion above. I'll be interested which version people thinks works best.
            Last edited by David Mosley; 08-10-2006, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Wouldn't ya know it! Last night I was reading through Mike's Introduction to the White Wolf edition of The Eternal Champion omnibus (won on eBay last week) and I noticed that Mike mentions that there was a revised edition of TEC that he produced for Dell in 1978.

Comment

Originally posted by David
                Wouldn't ya know it! Last night I was reading through Mike's Introduction to the White Wolf edition of The Eternal Champion omnibus (won on eBay last week) and I noticed that Mike mentions that there was a revised edition of TEC that he produced for Dell in 1978.
                He's probably doing it on purpose David. If Mike had a mischievious nature he could drive his bibliographers mad with reference to non-existent revisions and small press editions.

I feel it's probably the right decision about 'Earl Aubec.' It was a major anthology collecting quite a few unavailable/out of print stories, judging by the list. (Thanks for that by the way, I still haven't got around to looking at my copy.)

If you keep amending them, I for one will keep downloading them. Thanks again.
                You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Urk. Sorry. I don't remember revising TEC for Dell, though I did revise, of course, the hardback edition for Harper and Row, which Dell then bought for pb. Could be that I made a few minor revisions, but nothing especially elaborate. I'll probably be adding scripts to the forthcoming Del Rey editions of the Elric books, incidentally, which will make them certainly the most elaborate editions. This will include the script called STORMBRINGER, which, to confuse matters further, was actually based mostly on PHOENIX IN OBSIDIAN...

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                  The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                  Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                  The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                  Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
                    Here's a little something I've been working on for the past couple of weeks - a bibliographical 'checklist' of Mike's books. It's in Excel spreadsheet format, but in order to upload it I've had to put it into a ZIP archive, so you'll need WinZip (or equivalent) and Excel (or viewer) to open it.
                    This is great. I've converted it to Open Document format as well for those that want something more standard. Zipped also as you can't upload Open Document files.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                      Urk. Sorry. I don't remember revising TEC for Dell, though I did revise, of course, the hardback edition for Harper and Row, which Dell then bought for pb. Could be that I made a few minor revisions, but nothing especially elaborate.
                      Sorry, you're quite right Mike - I was perhaps reading too much into the Introduction and making '5'. The Dell pbk is the revised text though - my copy arrived this morning from the states.

In the copyright page, it states that 'parts of this book originally appeared in Avilion (UK) 1957 and Science Fantasy (UK) 1962'. Does anyone - apart from Mike of course - know anything about 'Avilion'? I assume it's a fanzine of some kind, but haven't come across references to it before. (I haven't run a 'Search' on the forums either, which would be a good idea to see if it's been raised here before. )

By the way, is this the H&R hardback:

We don't seem to have any bibliographical information about it in the Image Hive, but it seems to be an English language edition.

Comment

Avilion saw one issue, as I recall, and was an incredibly short print run, because I was having to sneak into my old firm and use their duplicator.
                        They'd given me permission for a while but when they realised how much paper andink I was using, they became circumspect. That was essentially the endof the MJM Publications empire! I have a feeling the ones I printed were either left at my old firm or even put in the boxes I used to throw old manuscripts in and then give to the TAFF auction held traditionally at all British sf conventions. That's how people go very cheap Elric manuscripts and so on!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                          Avilion saw one issue, as I recall, and was an incredibly short print run, because I was having to sneak into my old firm and use their duplicator.
                          Incredibly short is right. According to Mike's reply in this old thread there were only 5 copies (!):

http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showt...hlight=Avilion
                          'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Excel. It would have to be Excel.

Don't have Excel (although have been screaming about needing something newer than 1990's db of Quattro Pro, ver. Neandrathal 1.0 or some such).

Ah, well, computers in the future. Probably around the time Windows Vista is debugged.
                            Miqque
                            ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

Sorry Miqque. Ian Davey has converted an earlier version (1.5.2) of the spreadsheet to OpenOffice format though. See above.

(Quattro Pro, eh? Haven't seen that since the late '90s.)

Comment

Working...
                              X