Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

choice of illustrators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choice of illustrators

Hi Mr. Moorcock,
    I am 24, I am a french comic artist,
    I always wondered if editors really asked you to make a choice regarding illustrators, or if they just make up their own choice.
    I think it was very smart from the japanese company to choose Yoshitaka Amano as your illustrator.
    His works are amazing, full of grace, composition.He is a man who has a deep
    understanding of the magic of the picture.
    Another question is does the artists influenced you in some ways ,details or such?
    I am actually working for 2 writers in the comic industry.And we often change
    our respective parts once we see what the partner producted.
    I heard somewhere you had to work on a comic, I don't know much about this,
    but I am interested in.

There is a link of my works in progress if you want to check:

http://tetsujin.free.fr/humano/humano.htm

If you wonder why I chose this nick it's simply
    their "court" is the music I link naturally to your inspirating fantasy stories
    as corum or elric.Full of feelings, hating, loving, fighting!

I've worked in comics through my entire career. The most recently published in France was the first of two Elric albums published by Soleil. In that I worked with Walter Simonson, who is a good friend. Walter will occasionally suggest ways of doing the story better and I always take his advice. We'll frequently discuss methods of getting an idea across. I've picked many of my own artists, but don't always get the choice. A good example is the Tom Strong I did (Black Blade of the Barbary Coast) recently. But I have taken a more active part in choosing artwork and insisting on artwork being included in books than most writers, partly because I've had experience in publishing and can counter publishers' claims that illustrations are 'too expensive' or whatever. The Final Programme, in 1968 (I think) was the first adult novel to be illustrated in the UK in many years. Most of the Cornelius books have been illustrated in the UK and US. There were quite a few interior illustrations in the UK
    Eternal Champion collected omnibus editions as there were in the US version of the same series. Walter Simonson's illustrations for Count Brass are amongst the best in the US series and Jim Cawthorn's for Elric in the UK.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Nosmirc Gnik
      If you wonder why I chose this nick it's simply
      their "court" is the music I link naturally to your inspirating fantasy stories
      as corum or elric.Full of feelings, hating, loving, fighting!
      Ah, another King Crimson fan! Their show here in Budapest 3 years ago was amazing. So, do you listen to Moonchild while reading about Oona and the Moonbeam Roads?

Comment

Those are some great illustrations, Crimson! (That's your name now. Nicks are bad enough, but nicks backwards-spelt are just too annoying! ) Love the Moebius feel.

I think Mike's work lends itself well to a wide variety of interpretation. Since I just read The Laughter of Carthage, and this thread, it sent me off imagining how each city-sequence might be done by a different artist. I could see someone like Vince ... er, Frank Quitely on the Mauritania sequence, Simonson on the South, and Alex Maleev on Paris. I know Mike has definite visuals in his brain for every scene, can't be otherwise. (Can it?)

I thought Ordway did pretty well on Black Blade, maybe a bit pedantic on the moonbeam roads, and he did make Captain Zodiac a bit crazed. Not quite enough or too much for an alternate Elric; I rather see the Zodiac dude as quieter, slyer, more one to pull a trick off from the wings than rah-hah-haRRRRRR center stage. But, that's just me. He got to draw monkeys.

Miqque
        ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

Working...
        X