Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Beyond (Charles Platt fanzine)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beyond (Charles Platt fanzine)

I've just won a 1964 copy of Charles Platt's early fanzine, Beyond, on ebay. It probably won't turn up for a while but it looked like an interesting curio to have. Mike, Rick Bilyeu claimed that you may have contributed to some issues of Beyond. Can you remember if you did?
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

It's quite likely I contributed to Charles's Beyond before offering him a job designing NW which he began to do, as I recall, in 1965. His design was influential on a considerable amount of book design through the 60s and 70s.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Moorcock in BEYOND

I have numbers #4-#8 of BEYOND. Looking through them, Mike has a letter of comment in #8 and is interviewed by Platt in #6 (July '64).

Comment

Is there any chance of seeing scans or transcripts of these Rob?
        'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Comment

Originally posted by Marca View Post
          Is there any chance of seeing scans or transcripts of these Rob?
          I've now uploaded scans of the interview.

Comment

Ah, when I first upload stuff it goes in Limbo, then Dave Mosley comes along later and sorts it into another folder. I assume he's in bed at the moment. It's only because I have to get up so early for work at the bell foundry during the week that I'm up now and exchanging messages with you in real time.
            Last edited by Rob Hansen; 12-12-2010, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that Rob, much appreciated!

They're posted here currently Mike, as Rob says, in Limbo:

http://www.multiverse.org/imagehive/...m58/?g2_page=2

But will get moved to the appropriate section in due course.

Comment

Rob is basically breaking the "Thanks" system - he's far too helpful by half!

Comment

They're posted here currently Mike, as Rob says, in Limbo:

http://www.multiverse.org/imagehive/...m58/?g2_page=2

But will get moved to the appropriate section in due course.
                  Now moved to a new 'Beyond' album in the Fanzines section.

Incidentally, what's the date of this issue?
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                    Incidentally, what's the date of this issue?
                    It's issue 6 (July 1964) - see post 3 from Rob

Comment

Beyond #6

It's dated "Monday 20th July '64 but delayed by postal overtime ban".

Though not MM-related I can scan the cover if you want to make this the same album format as other zines. It's by Dicky Howett and illustrates an article by Beryl Henley (later Mercer) titled "The Post -Hiroshima Syndrome" in which she argues that the then ongoing battles between Mods and Rockers result from the alienation they feel about living in the shadow of the bomb.

Comment

Would be nice to see the cover Rob. Any chance of a scan of the letter too, if it's not too much trouble? Does it reference the interview?

Comment

Any chance of a scan of the letter too, if it's not too much trouble? Does it reference the interview?
                          Yes. I've just uploaded the letter. I was doing a lot of scanning of old zines for a forthcoming project so it was easy to slip this in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Hansen View Post
                            Yes. I've just uploaded the letter.
                            Now moved to the BEYOND album.
                            Last edited by David Mosley; 12-13-2010, 03:12 PM.
                            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Working...
                            X