Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Ever think about an imprint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever think about an imprint?

mr. moorcock,

i'm curious - have you ever considered opening the eternal champion storyline to other authors? sort of a "michael moorcock's eternal champion" by Some Anybody?

thanks for your time (and twenty years of enjoyment on my part)

-susan holmes

White Wolf published an anthology containing Eternal Champion stories by other authors:

Michael Moorcock's Pawn of Chaos: Tales of the Eternal Champion

And also an anthology with Elric stories by various authors:

Michael Moorcock's Elric: Tales of the White Wolf

Sadly they are out of print, but can be found on eBay, for example.

Comment

Tales of the white wolf has some GREAT stories. Highly recommended.

Comment

both of those titles are indeed awesome works
        heratic, sinner, anarcist, and an all around evil kinda guy

Comment

I know all y'all probably knew this, but it's also worth mentioning...

The New Nature of the Catastrophe

... which features Jerry Cornelius stories by other authors (he is technically an Eternal Champion, so I'm not totally off-topic there... honest). Sadly I don't have a copy myself, but The House of Moorcock doesn't do duff, so I'm sure it's worth checking out.

Oh, and there's Carter's book... coming soon... plug, plug...
          "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

In answer to Susan's original question, Mike has mentioned here that he's not interested in 'franchising out' his EC characters (a la Pawns of Chaos) during his lifetime anymore. JC, I think, remains an exception to that since he's always been kind of 'open source' (though not 'public domain' by any sense), but I think based on his previous comments Mike doesn't want to see professional writers (as opposed to fans) writing, say, Elric stories anymore.

However, I'm sure Mike will clarify when he gets here.
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I'm not interested in franchising in the familiar sense of the word (like Star Wars or the Howard characters or whatever). Somehow, though it would be lucrative for me, I feel it would be letting down the readers. I might be wrong, but I'm inclined to believe I have a special understanding with readers, to try to give them full strength stuff and franchising has the effect of what John Clute (I believe he coined the term) calls 'thinning'.
              I don't mind the odd anthology of short stories -- there's a new French one about to appear here -- but not full scale miniscule name here continues massive type MICHAEL MOORCOCK'S Elric saga of the REH's 'World of Conan' sort of thing.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I'd be curious to hear readers' comments on this, however. Could be I'm be unnecessarily conscientious. Or simply have it wrong.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I agree with you. Even great authors usually fall short when trying to immitate others. See L. Sprague de Camp and Poul Anderson with their Conan stories. Then when less brilliant ones try, the results are even less spectacular. John Gregory Betancourt with his Amber series, Gregory Benford with his Foundation book, and Brian Herbet and co. with their Dune ones come to mind.

That said, I don't mind seeing some Moorcock-falvoured* Comics or maybe even short stories by other authors. But complete novels? Nah.

* I coined this particular term, not Mr. Clute, just for the record

Comment

I see it as diluting the stories and worlds that you have created. I feel this is true with other authors but especially when it comes to you Mike.
                    As entertaining as it might be, I don't think I could read Elric or the EC written by other authors.

Comment

Vampyro Wrote
                      As entertaining as it might be, I don't think I could read Elric or the EC written by other authors.
                      I'll go a step further than that statement and say that I know that I wouldnt read any tales of the Eternal Champion unless they were written by Mike. I would simply revert back to rereading old copies, as I am doing now.
                      There's an old biker saying..If it ain't broke..Dont Fix it !

Comment

I liked the two anthologies. It was interesting to see the characters from different vantage points. (Including that story by Paul Cashman--Hi Pellaz! ) However, that seems to be enough--a one time thing can be good.

I don't have to go back as far as the Conan stories. I'm reminded of the attempt at new Fafhrd and Grey Mouser stories about six years ago. I'll admit that I didn't read them, so I cannot judge their quality. However, I had no desire to read them, simply because Leiber didn't write them.

For what my opinion is worth:
                        Branding out the EC would seem odd. I avoid those "branded" novels simply because I know that they are dreadfully derivative and repetitive at their best. Mike Moorcock on the spine of a novel lets me know that it will be anything but those things. Farming out the EC may dillute the power of that, perhaps most important, brand name.

Comment

What the other fellas said.

Allowing that Jerry is the exception that proves the rule, I find I have minimal interest in reading EC stories written by other authors at the moment. As such, I'm not in any great hurry to search out either of the two afore-mentioned WW anthologies.

It's the same with the comics; I'll buy any comic that Mike has directly worked on (ie MMM or MOAS) but not any comics that are merely adaptations of his work (ie First's EC comics). Where I have picked up an comics adaptation - Stormbringer - or might do so - Corum: The Knight/Queen/King of the Swords - it's solely on the basis of the artist involved (P. Craig Russell and Mike Mignola respectively).

In other words, if Alan Moore wrote an Elric story I'd pick it up to because it's Alan Moore and not because it's Elric.
                          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
                            In other words, if Alan Moore wrote an Elric story I'd pick it up to because it's Alan Moore and not because it's Elric.
                            What about an Alan Moore story written by Elric? Ha, now I gotcha!

Comment

...or Mike writing new E.C. stories "in the style of" other authors, Mike doing Mosley doing Daker, a Camus' impression of Pyat, or Bastable a la Perleman.
                              "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Working...
                              X