Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Mervyn and Maeve Peake Memoir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marca
    replied
    Good to see that David. I've just won a copy of A World Away for my own collection. I already have the original Mentor paperback edition, but wanted the edition with Mike's intro too.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    I've uploaded Mike's Preface to Maeve Gilmore's memoir on Peake, A World Away, to the Image Hive, if anyone's interested:

http://www.multiverse.org/imagehive/...2_itemId=68337

Leave a comment:

• Pellaz
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    It was an ambitious and conscientious attempt to put Peake onto the screen and there were some high moments, some brilliant actors, but there was also 'additional dialogue' which was frankly awful and I still prefer the minimalist version of David Glass, which I've seen several times on stage, with different Steerpikes. If you ever get a chance to see the Glass versions on stage (they tend to tour major cities) then waste no time in going there pronto.
    Gormenghast on stage?! Wow. I'd lay long odds on it ever coming to Atlanta, though. This city has all the culture of a concussed bee.

I'd sort of hoped they'd give the project to Glass's group to do, since his lighting and simple effects gave a great sense of the castle. It might almost have been better done in black and white.
    Absolutely! The stills I've seen from the BBC's miniseries just looked...too colourful. I can't see a screen adaptation (in color) ever doing justice to the drabness with which Peake infused Gormenghast. The production crew would really have to 'think down' to replicate Peake's vision, going against instinct.

B&W indeed! --Or maybe all in B&W, except for color-processing the characters who show a bit of mental pep, like Steerpike and Titus?

Anyway, I ordered it and it should be here within a few days. Based on your comments, I'm more hopeful than I had been before.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    It was an ambitious and conscientious attempt to put Peake onto the screen and there were some high moments, some brilliant actors, but there was also 'additional dialogue' which was frankly awful and I still prefer the minimalist version of David Glass, which I've seen several times on stage, with different Steerpikes. If you ever get a chance to see the Glass versions on stage (they tend to tour major cities) then waste no time in going there pronto. I'd sort of hoped they'd give the project to Glass's group to do, since his lighting and simple effects gave a great sense of the castle. It might almost have been better done in black and white. I'm no fan of Peter Greenaway's movies, as such, but I've always thought he would be the best director for Peake and, for that matter, for Elric! Greenaway's dislike of women is a big weakness, though.

Leave a comment:

• Pellaz
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    I'm still working on the memoir. Proving difficult, emotionally.
    Aye, not surprisingly.

Mike, any thoughts on the BBC's TV adaptation of the first two books? I note that the DVD is Region 1-available. The casting looks a bit too "Hollywoodized" for the various parts (Jon Rhys-Meyers as Steerpike?), but the glimpses I've seen looked decent......

Leave a comment:

• workie-ticket
    replied
    Thanks for the response.

Best of luck in finishing it and it goes without saying that it is highly anticipated.

Regards

Glover

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    I'm still working on the memoir. Proving difficult, emotionally.

Leave a comment:

• workie-ticket
    started a topic Mervyn and Maeve Peake Memoir

Mervyn and Maeve Peake Memoir

Glad to see Moorcock's miscellany back up running and in such fine form.

Any further word on the progress of the much anticipated Peake memoir?

Regards to all

Glover
Working...
X