Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Off to Hay-on-Wye this Friday - any orders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off to Hay-on-Wye this Friday - any orders?

I'll be making my annual pilgrimage to Hay-on-Wye this Friday, and no doubt will be stopping by one of Richard Booth's bookshops, which has virtually an entire wall dedicated to novels by Mike. Mostly these are Mayflower/Grafton paperbacks from the '70s & '80s in various condition (from Very Good to Fair) but occassionally other stuff turns up as well. (I snagged 3 of the White Lion Runestaff hardcovers last year).

If anyone would like me to bring anything back for them then I'd be happy to pick some stuff up (for cost + postage). Most paperbacks are usually £2-3 depending on condition, some might be more though. Either post a list here or drop me an email. Probably best to state the minimum condition you'd want. Also if there's a specific edition you're after.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

How kind of you to offer! Have a great time. I must go back one day - it's been 7 years!

Comment

I've emailed you some requests David. Have fun, hope you find something for yourself, if not for me
      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

My trip to Hay-on-Wye proved quite productive for me if less so for both Marca and Doc who asked me to look out for various hardcover editions of Mike's novels. I picked up a very fine set of the original 1969 Mayflower Runestaff novels, as well as a very good hardcover of City in the Autumn Stars without any sunfading to the dj for £5. I also got a copy of Bester's The Demolished Man, and Mike's uncredited anthology The Inner Landscape, as well as half-a-dozen other Moorcock paperbacks for my collection. I suppose I could have picked up a dozen other MM books, but since I was buying my 4th copy of CITAS, 4th lot of the second Corum trilogy and my 6th set of History of the Runestaff novels I figured I didn't need to buy any more duplicate sets (for the time being).
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
          My trip to Hay-on-Wye proved quite productive for me if less so for both Marca and Doc who asked me to look out for various hardcover editions of Mike's novels. I picked up a very fine set of the original 1969 Mayflower Runestaff novels, as well as a very good hardcover of City in the Autumn Stars without any sunfading to the dj for £5. I also got a copy of Bester's The Demolished Man, and Mike's uncredited anthology The Inner Landscape, as well as half-a-dozen other Moorcock paperbacks for my collection. I suppose I could have picked up a dozen other MM books, but since I was buying my 4th copy of CITAS, 4th lot of the second Corum trilogy and my 6th set of History of the Runestaff novels I figured I didn't need to buy any more duplicate sets (for the time being).

wow! very cool! -and here, I was thinking that I was the only one who has multiple copies of the same book.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
          - Michael Moorcock

Comment

As I mentioned to David, you share a sickness with good company, Lemec!

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
              As I mentioned to David, you share a sickness with good company, Lemec!

hahahahahaha!

yes, indeed!

Let's see, I began the search for Moorcock books in the early 1990's, finding the copper and brass covers of the Corum's and Count Brass and the silver Elric covers.

Then since 1995, my main mission was to collect any MM books that I could find in all the used book shoppes. (And also ones in the new stores and specialty stores.)

I discovered all the DAW editions and starting loading up! Naturally I was compelled to get all the Daw Elric's right away, as their covers are way cool!

Then I collected any other covers that I could find, including duplicates.

I had a small bookcase to keep them in and when a friend came over, he thought I was a little odd, having the entire case dedicted to Michael Moorcock! I had one set of each of all the Eternal Champion, then had them combine with The Warlord of the Air,TLL,TSZ, Gloriana, BTM,TWoL,RoI,DfT ect. The other sets I pt on my "doubles" shelves.

I thought, I'd buy 'em when I find them, save 'em for a rainy day and read them as I go along with things.

I was so lucky to find, mint in the store those Savoy novels, Sojan, MEitTWW,The Russian Intelligence and the "Cawthorn" Stormbringer.

The nice young lady, at the register counter, did not even want to charge me for Stormbringer! I, of course was sure to pay her, knowing it was worth a great deal to me and that it must have been sitting in a warehouse for about thirty years. Anyway, she said,"I thought you brought that in from the carnival or something." She did not know they had them in stock, oh to be able to go back and buy doubles! -needless to say, they were all gone soon after my visit.

I've seen some Elric comics out that are not part of the series, like the book adaptations, I mean, do you know what stories are in those comics?

I will have to pick some up, they are from the 80's, I think. I got a few The Bane of the Black sword comics and others, but could not get them all that day, they actually should still have them over there.

Anyway, this weekend I might get Elric:TMOAS #1, as I missed it and read #2 and #3, I want to get it before #4 comes out next month.

I did get The Dreaming City GN off e-bay, it was pretty cool! Any chance for me to see a Golden Barge is always a plus!

I have a "thing" for the barges as well as for many other items and characters.

Time for me to start saving for a Ruby Throne and dais!

Nice chatting, this brings up some more things I want to say in other threads now,haha.

-Lemec

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
              - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Well, if we don't mind steering this thread to our sickness...

My sickness is hardcovers, which is slightly better when it comes to Mike's books. There seems to be an infinite number of paperback editions, and (slightly) fewer hardcover editions.

I prefer buying from physical book shops, but online sellers are sometimes the only route to go. However, few things are as satisfying as finding an overlooked jewel (like your copy of Stormbringer) in a shop. I've found a couple of rarities for next to nothing at second hand stores-- A Unicorn edition of Elric: The Return to Melnibone, a first printing of Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes, two of the 70's Marvel hardcovers from Lee and Kirby, and a double signed copy of Good Omens by Gaiman and Pratchett, each of which, with the exception of the Elric book, were $3.95!

I'll sometimes buy doubles because they are such a bargain. I have doubles of some books that I searched long and hard to find, only to find another copy (often a much cheaper copy) almost right after. I also have extra copies of books that I recommend to people. I have my personal copy in freakishly protected condition and one that I loan out.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
                  Well, if we don't mind steering this thread to our sickness...

My sickness is hardcovers, which is slightly better when it comes to Mike's books. There seems to be an infinite number of paperback editions, and (slightly) fewer hardcover editions.

I prefer buying from physical book shops, but online sellers are sometimes the only route to go. However, few things are as satisfying as finding an overlooked jewel (like your copy of Stormbringer) in a shop. I've found a couple of rarities for next to nothing at second hand stores-- A Unicorn edition of Elric: The Return to Melnibone, a first printing of Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes, two of the 70's Marvel hardcovers from Lee and Kirby, and a double signed copy of Good Omens by Gaiman and Pratchett, each of which, with the exception of the Elric book, were $3.95!

I'll sometimes buy doubles because they are such a bargain. I have doubles of some books that I searched long and hard to find, only to find another copy (often a much cheaper copy) almost right after. I also have extra copies of books that I recommend to people. I have my personal copy in freakishly protected condition and one that I loan out.

ahh,yes. very cool! I like to also have a copy to read, a copy to collect and any extras to send out in priority US mail to friends.

I forgot to mention that, I too love hardcovers. I started to collect the White Wolf editions, but I would like to find all the original hardcovers some day. I also got an Elric 1-3 small hardcover and a Fortress of the Pearl. Oh, I gave away my Behold The Man anniversary edition that was out a few years ago. I have new copies of TDD and TWWS, I gave the ones I read away and still need to buy a mint The Skrayling Tree, just to have on the shelf, before they start to get old,haha. The Dreamthief's Daughter they had for the $3.95 in one of the chain stores, a pity they feel the need to paste the red sticker on the front cover. Difficult to get paper off paper.

In another thread, somebody suggested to print leather editions of the books, if they do, I must have them! (my apologies to the anti-fur/leather groups.)

If they made editions that were illustrated and were like 28" by 14" that would rock! (Like library books used for research.)

That aside, I really like this large soft cover of Cornelius by Thunder's Mouth Press.

how about this for an idea? :

A large box set of new Eternal Champion books (ALL that are considered EC.), and with a huge image on the spines from left to right so they form one big picture, like certain box sets do. haha

A large collage of characters, objects, scenes all blended together with a Multiverse backdrop. (Ornithopters,Runeblades,The Balance image with The Grail, Nihrain steed, Chaos Shield,The Horn of Fate,Gran Britan masks,Airships, a painting of Tanelorn etc.)

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

It could be called "The Large Book of Moorcock."

It is certain to confuse certain types of people who order it based on the title alone

Comment

Doc's right - and what's more it's a creeping sickness. I started off with the aim of just having one of everything Mike wrote, but what with all the different versions of some books duplication is unavoidable.

For instance, originally I had the Fontana 2 volume set of The Cornelius Chronicles, then I read that Mike wasn't happy with that editon, so I set out to acquire the individual Fontana novels (with covers by Bill Sanderson). Then I realised that TFP, ACFC and TEA were all revised, so then I just had to get the original paperbacks as well. Throw in a gc Muzak hardback I got the other month* and the German editions of the Cornelius quartet and I now have 4 copies of each - one set I can't even read!!

*And, of course, having got the Muzak hc I've now got an inclination to collect the first 3 novels in hc as well.

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
                        and what's more it's a creeping sickness.
                        What a great characterization! I can't wait to tell my wife I've been infected with a creeping sickness...

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
                          It could be called "The Large Book of Moorcock."

It is certain to confuse certain types of people who order it based on the title alone
                          Well, the James Bond people do this sort of thing all the time. First there was the James Bond Special Edition DVD Box Set, then this month they released the James Bond Ultimate Edition DVD Box Set and in a couple of year's time they'll release the James Bond Hi-Def DVD Box Set.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
                            What a great characterization! I can't wait to tell my wife I've been infected with a creeping sickness...

That is awesome! It would be a great name for a story, or plot.

David, that one set you can't read, can be read later, it will inspire you to learn a bunch of new languages.

Here is a question, I should maybe post to Mike, please tell me what you all think first:

For the Elric Movies, will you invent new languages for the characters to speak?

(I know/think that Mike, was not into making languages like Tolkien was,hehe, but that still would be a cool thing in the movies, for certain scenes maybe?)
                            Last edited by lemec; 07-29-2006, 10:01 AM.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
                            X