Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Watership Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watership Down

Mr. Moorcock, as you can see I pulled this from the squirrel chat thread . Can you elaborate on this for me? Does this opinion transfer to his other works like The Plague Dogs, Shardik and Maia?
    Shouln't that grey squirrel have a secret red identity ? I remember, I think it was Colin Greenland, who disagreed with my dislike of Watership Down and did a movie poster for the sequel, showing heavily armed rabbits marching towards the viewer -- Just When You Thought It Was Safe to Go Back into the Burrow...

Completely off-topic, but i really like your avatar Idiot_Savant. Psycho Blythe! Cool!

Comment

Although I've had one or two in my own books, I've no taste for talking animal stories. There are always exceptions, of course, but so far none spring to mind.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
        Although I've had one or two in my own books, I've no taste for talking animal stories.
        Well, I don't remember Ratty, Bigwig, et al having a penchant for the work of Enlightenment philosophers!

Comment

Thank you, Mr. Moorcock. Watership Down and Maia happen to be a couple of the books I reread every 5 years or so.

Thanks Typhoid Mary and btw remind me not to eat your "Iced peaches" winky winky

Comment

Originally posted by Idiot_Savant
            Mr. Moorcock, as you can see I pulled this from the squirrel chat thread . Can you elaborate on this for me? Does this opinion transfer to his other works like The Plague Dogs, Shardik and Maia?
            Check out the revolutionsf.com[broken link]Epic Pooh (also reprinted in Wizardry & Wild Romance) for further elaboration

Personally, Watership Down was one of my favorite books. But then again, it was also one of the first ones I've read, so that might be the reason why it impressed me so much. I might actually re-read it soon and see how does it affect me after so many years.
            Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Idiot_Savant
              Thanks Typhoid Mary and btw remind me not to eat your "Iced peaches" winky winky
              My secret ingredient is poo poo.

Comment

I've always liked that Adams had a character say "Eat sh!t" in a children's book and got away with it.
                Best/Mario

Comment

It's probably been about 12 years or so since I read Watership down (for the second time). It has always been one of my favorites. I even have the movie on VHS.

Tried to read The Plague Dogs earlier this year. Got about a third of the way into it and couldn't stand it any more.

Comment

Although I've had one or two in my own books, I've no taste for talking animal stories. There are always exceptions, of course, but so far none spring to mind.
                    There's always Gregor Samsa in Kafka's 'Metamorphosis'; I quite like that one.

Also Gaspode the Wonderdog in various Pratchett novels.

Comment

John the Baptist in Veniss Underground is my favorite talking Meerkat. Not exactly a talking animal story, though.

Comment

May I recommend Rabbit Hill by Robert Lawson. A Newbery Award winner. After reading Watership Down, my school librarian suggested it. I believe she said, "If you like smart-mouthed rabbits, you'll love this". I did.

Comment

Hmm. My opinion of rabbits is in Wizardry and Wild Romance. You won't convince me. I hate and fear rabbits. My daughter's huge rabbit would attack me regularly and the only satisfaction I ever had was bleeding all over her lovely white fur...

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Hmm. My opinion of rabbits is in Wizardry and Wild Romance. You won't convince me. I hate and fear rabbits. My daughter's huge rabbit would attack me regularly and the only satisfaction I ever had was bleeding all over her lovely white fur...
                            Yet Oona "animorphs" into a white hare in The Dreamthief's Daughter ... ?

And our Socrates is the kindest and easiest to have bunny I can think of. Only his digging addiction is sometimes a nuissance...
                            Google ergo sum

Comment

You poor dear! You surely would have hated my dwarf cottontail Jack. He'd attack everyone except me and the cat.
                              The reason my husband got him for me after the loss of my beloved Buns was he was the only rabbit at the store (out of 15) that came up to him.

Comment

Working...
                              X