Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Sylvania?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sylvania?

Mike:

I recall in Blood that you briefly mention that Rose is from a place called Sylvania. Will you please scale up for a few moments and ask her where this Sylvania is, and what it's like?

Thanks.

CK

Maybe he was watching TV and had a Sylvania. Just be glad it wasn't an RCA!

Hey, wait a minute, there is the city of Quarzhasaat in The Fortress of the Pearl. Maybe he had a Quasar in the other room....

:lol:

Ignore me
    When they had advanced together to meet on common
    ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
    and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
    each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
    mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
    killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Well Sylvania is a literary reference to some extent but that was the name of Pennsylvania before some Quakers decided to retitle the territory Penn had called Sylvania... (A sylvan glade ?)

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

haha, my friend lives up in sylvania, well the small, 50 person town that is.

Comment

I grew up in Sylvania--Sylvania, Ohio. It is a middle-class bedroom community outside of Toledo. In the 60s and 70s it was the land of the hippies--woods, tree houses, fields, suburban lawns, nice people. Lots of kids growing up together and hanging out. Lots of hippie talk, called each other "bro," "babe" and so on--psychadelic nick names. We still get together. Very laid back. Getting to know Rose and her perspective, it's easy to imagine that she grew up in Sylvania too.

It was odd reading that passage in Blood--Rose was having second thoughts about going home to Sylvania. And there I was in Scotland reading Blood and having second thoughts about going back to Sylvania too.

Today--well, Toledo has absorbed Sylvania. Sylvania itself has expaned emormously. The fields and trees have been built over, Main St. is conjested, traffic lights. Another example of R. Crumb's "History of America" I suppose.

Another Lost Universe. No matter. Sylvania still exists, and where it counts the most.

Comment

I lived in Ohio for about 20 years (Columbus) and the Toledo area is nice. Good people in Ohio. Nice people.

I'll be back up that way in a few months, maybe I should swing by Sylvania. Got a couple of friends in Toledo. If you grew up there Carter, you must be a good guy.
            When they had advanced together to meet on common
            ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
            and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
            each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
            mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
            killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Working...
            X