Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

GRADUATION THESIS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRADUATION THESIS

HI,I M AN ITALIAN STUDENT AND I NEED SOME HELP FOR MY GRADUATION THESIS WHICH IS ABOUT A SPECIFIC BOOK OF MR. MOORCOCK"MOTHER LONDON",IN PARTICULAR MY ENGLISH TEACHER ASKED ME TO MAKE A COMPARISON BEETWEN THIS WORK AND JAMES JOYCE'S "ULYSSES.I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHERE TO FIND MATERIAL ABOUT THIS,I WOULD BE HONOURED TO HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO CONTACT DIRECTLY MR.MOORCOCK BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO IT..CAN SOMEONE HELP ME,PLEASE?I'LL BE WAITING FOR AN ANSWER.THANKS A LOT.CLELIA.BYE BYE.

I don' t want to seem rude but is not the foirst thing to do read and analyze the two books.

Then you will know what you need to look for .....

A pist : Is not Dublin the true subject of Ulysse ?

Comment

This isn't the first time the books have been compared, but unfortunately I can't be much help because most of what has been written was in the pre-electronic papers and reviews of the latre 1980s. I certainly did not consciously use Ulysses as a model and I think the styles and intentions are somewhat different. Joyce wasn't all that fond of Dublin, from all I've read, but I am enormously fond of London. My book was a celebration of the city of my birth and there are elements of my own reaction against the established notions of modernism, whereas Joyce was essentially helping refine, if not invent, them. I belonged to a movement, if it can be so identified, which was responding to very different social events. Joyce's novel is essentially a late-imperial Edwardian reverie, if you like, whereas my novel was a celebration of a city which had withstood the worst of Hitler's bombing and was no longer the hub of a great empire.
      Dublin was a provincial city, at that time, still essentially locked into its relationship with the British empire. London was in many ways everything Dublin was not when Joyce wrote Dubliners and Ulysses. Even a few years ago when I was last in Dublin the cattle stock prices were the big news on the front page of The Irish Times. Although some cities have since extended their populations so that they are now larger than London's, for many years, perhaps centuries, London was the largest and most powerful city on Earth. Indeed, it might be more useful comparing London and Rome! Imagine Ezra Pound, say, deciding to write a novel called Romans... Or one of the Italian Futurists writing a long fictional paeon to Milan ? Sorry to go a bit off the subject, but while there are some superficial resemblances to Ulysses in Mother London there are probably more differences.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I'd say that Mike's analysis there is a pretty good basis for your thesis, Clelia! There's a LOT of meat to be got from just focussing on the dichotomy between the two cities at the different times concerned...

Comment

Un der a reserve : the subject is not the cities but the books .....

Comment

...and how that is reflected by the respective authors' works! Good point, MK.

Comment

I would like to thank everybody that has answered me...most of all i thank you Mr. Moorcock for your attention.Now i m going to reflect on what you have said to me and analize what my teacher exactly wants.if is possible i would like to keep in contact with you in order to make you some questions or to have some help,this is certainly the best way to understand really your book!one more thing,you told me that all that as been written was in the pre-electronic papers and reviews of 1980s,is there a way to consult this material?a way to consult literary nuwspapers or critics of that period?Ok,i don't want to be boring...so thanks again and talk to you very very soon.If somebody wants to help me anyhow,i would be honoured!!bye bye.CLELIA

Comment

The incredible adventures of italian students in italian universities.
                Often we have foolish teachers with demential ideas in our colleges. Another disaster to our poor students.
                Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

"I'm forbidden to reign, but I'll never yield before the facts: I am the Cat"

Comment

Italy, as almost old Europe has big problems .....

But behind the " legal " italy, there is another one. For instance the true International gross product is much more important than the official one.

Globalisation has hit many small industries in leather, textil and so on.

A big catastrophe has been Berlusconi.

But Italy is a big country.

Comment

Any time, Clelia.
                    Good luck.
                    My intentions were probably a bit different to Joyce's. There's a bit about Mother London via The Guardian website including a reprint of a piece that appeared in the London Review of books.

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Any time, Clelia.
                      Good luck.
                      My intentions were probably a bit different to Joyce's. There's a bit about Mother London via The Guardian website including a reprint of a piece that appeared in the London Review of books.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAdlerian
                        My wife and a good friend of mine used to live in Florence Italy and had nothing but good to say about it. They used to travel all over the place and from their stories I certainly wouldn't think twice about making a visit. The food and lifestyle sound just great. In fact, Sardinia is supposed to be one of the healthiest places to live, on Earth.

However, I always hear, especially from Italian people that I know, a lot of horror stories. They all seem to center on "the end of Italy as we know it" situations such as, a population that's in decline (because everyone wants to save money for shoes, by living with mom) because knowbody wants to get married, and that the population is getting replaced by immigrants. It sounds as if Italians are sort of retiring from the world.

So, what's the truth here.
                        That's true, unfortunately, Adlerian.
                        Italy WAS a great country for its arts, history, foods, wines, landscapes...may be it is a great country again, but we was destroyed by some insane governaments who reduced us to be a shadow of our possibilities.
                        Italian school, from first level to University is a ruin.
                        Here, in the North we stay again fine, we have a good healthcare, food etc but in the south there are a lot of troubles.
                        Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

Comment

Really we'd have a good school, but during last 20 years we have had a serial of real idiots at the governament and about the school, high school, college or university who ruined and destroyed definitely it.
                          Once upon a time here there was good teachers, above all in literature and art ( I have one of those piece of paper ), actually not.
                          My girl friend who teaches is again searching to have a serious chair in University, after years... that's the same for me.
                          Another friend of mine, taches italian literature in an High School, she is almost 40 and she is again "precarious".
                          In the italian Academy of Arts "they" ( idiots ) now "teach" to paint not following Leonardo, Michelangelo or Raphael but with "action painting" or worst.
                          Kids now are more ignorants than I was a teenager. University degree is simpler than 15 or 20 years ago, so it's depreciated.
                          I'm enraged about this fact here, there is no respect for people who studied, in a country which created Reinassance...
                          Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

Comment

Modern education institutions seem more interested in getting kids to pass exams than they are in 'educating' them. Perhaps its always been thus, but the introduction of League tables hasn't done anything to help the situation imo.
                            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

For Italy, despite present problems i am more optimistic than you.

One of the matter is that education is a playing field for politicians and ideologues.

One another problem and he is not special to Italy is that the lack of education is an open door to demagogs and false preachers.

Other point : in not so old times, solidarity beetwen people and regions was seen as a natural thing, not even as a duty. Now, every one imagines that if he was separated from the country, his rigths would me more protected.

Europe has promoted this idea, wanting autonomy from States, it deals directly with regioons and weakens autotity from the states.

And this phenomena is true in Italy but also in France.

Comment

Working...
                              X