Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Philosophy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Mosley
    replied
    Marx is my guru.

Groucho Marx, that is.

Leave a comment:

• Hieronymus
    replied
    As philosopher I love Henry Bergson and Plato

Leave a comment:

• Morgan Kane
    replied
    Existentialism, very summarily, you exist by acting and your essence is in tour acts .....

From this point of view, Elric is a traitor and a lover killer ....... no matter his motives or desires.

He becomes the eternal champion when acting in the role. No matter his reluctance.

From this point of view, Hawkmoon, in the three first books is lest interesting because the role of the E.C fits more him and his aims, except when he wants to leave America prematurily ......

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    In a word Existentialism. French. Big influence on me via Camus and Sartre in the fifties. Plays like Huis Clos and Caligula. Books like Roads to Freedom and The Stranger. As well as non-fiction, of course. I was a cartoon hipster in the 50s, playing my guitar on the left bank to pick up money to buy more books at George Whitman's Mistral Bookshop (now called Shakespeare and Co, but not the original S. Beach shop). Oddly, I never came to the beats and only read On the Road while on the road hitchiking from Upsala to Paris...

Leave a comment:

• Zaffer
    started a topic Philosophy

Philosophy

Mike, what were the influences regarding much of the philosophy in your books?

I get a picture of man being at the mercy of powers he does not understand only to find he created those powers in the first place which is reflected in
    aspects of your work.
Working...
X