Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Philosophy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philosophy

Mike, what were the influences regarding much of the philosophy in your books?

I get a picture of man being at the mercy of powers he does not understand only to find he created those powers in the first place which is reflected in
    aspects of your work.

In a word Existentialism. French. Big influence on me via Camus and Sartre in the fifties. Plays like Huis Clos and Caligula. Books like Roads to Freedom and The Stranger. As well as non-fiction, of course. I was a cartoon hipster in the 50s, playing my guitar on the left bank to pick up money to buy more books at George Whitman's Mistral Bookshop (now called Shakespeare and Co, but not the original S. Beach shop). Oddly, I never came to the beats and only read On the Road while on the road hitchiking from Upsala to Paris...

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Existentialism, very summarily, you exist by acting and your essence is in tour acts .....

From this point of view, Elric is a traitor and a lover killer ....... no matter his motives or desires.

He becomes the eternal champion when acting in the role. No matter his reluctance.

From this point of view, Hawkmoon, in the three first books is lest interesting because the role of the E.C fits more him and his aims, except when he wants to leave America prematurily ......

Comment

As philosopher I love Henry Bergson and Plato
        Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

"I'm forbidden to reign, but I'll never yield before the facts: I am the Cat"

Comment

Marx is my guru.

Groucho Marx, that is.

_"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Working...
          X