Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Preferred titles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    I'm pretty sure the Roc edition was the original text. Done before the US omnibuses were put together.

Leave a comment:

• tvissoc
    replied

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    Thanks for that info Mike. As a supplementary question, is the Roc edition of The Sundered World the same revised version as appears in the White Wolf 'The Eternal Champion' omnibus or does it feature the original text?

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Some titles were changed for reasons of convenience. For instance, the Gold brothers (Compact) got it into their heads that because they'd always owned the rights on Hank Janson, they owned all the sf titles I published either in NW or Compact. It became easier to change the titles (since they never read anything they published) than to explain to them time after time that they only had limited licenses on the books. I think I finally put the Roc titles into a sequence I liked personally. I can't actually remember them, off-hand, but I'm pretty sure that was the reason. They managed to delay publication of The Final Programme, for instance, until after the movie appeared, by telling Granada they owned it. They didn't.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    started a topic Preferred titles?

Preferred titles?

I was just thinking - in relation to something I'm working on in the FAQ project forum - whether there are preferred titles for any of Mike's novels that have had more than one title?

For instance, I always think of 'The Wrecks of Time' as 'The Rituals of Infinity' because that was the title under which it was moslty published in the UK when I first discovered it. However, for it's most recent printing by ROC Penguin it came out under the original title of The Wrecks of Time.

Ditto The Sundered Worlds/The Blood Red Game.

In compiling a current reading list, is it preferable to use the most recent titles (TWoT/TSW) or the more 'common' (TRoI/TBRG)? Was there a reason for deciding to revert to the earlier titles for those novels, but not in the case of The Shores of Death (aka The Twilight Man) and The Winds of Limbo (aka The Fireclown)?

Just to clarify: I'm specifically thinking about the two titles I mention above. I assume it's established that the Kane novels are now known by their later titles - CotB, LotS, MotP - while Phoenix in Obsidian is the 'official' title of the second Erekose novel rather than 'The Silver Warriors', etc.?
Working...
X