Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Karl Glogauer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Merci beaucoup!

Leave a comment:

• vx69
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    PS I guess it wouldn't hurt for French readers to write to Denoel and ask them to publish the Pyat books! It's very important for me to have those books translated into French editions.
    consider it done !

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    The Cornelius books, Gloriana and others are in print from Atalante and Denoel themselves have done no heroic fantasy -- only The Dancers at the End of Time, Mother London and Lunching With The Antichrist.
    There are slightly more heroic fantasy books published in France currently in print, but quite as many sf and literary books published over the years.
    A lot of English-speaking French readers like Pyat quite a bit, but when you write books as long as those, you have to expect problems if they aren't identifiable as a selling genre. Sad but true everywhere. I'm lucky in that in the UK I've pretty much always had a reputation as both a genre and a literary writer. It used to be more true in France, I think, before heroic fantasy started taking off there. C'est la vie, as we say over here.

Leave a comment:

• Morgan Kane
    replied
    Welcome in France !

It is true you are most known as a fantasy author but i remember an edition of Jerry cornelius in a deluxe edition by Opta, very long time ago ....

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    PS I guess it wouldn't hurt for French readers to write to Denoel and ask them to publish the Pyat books! It's very important for me to have those books translated into French editions.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Denoel are considering doing the whole Pyat series at the moment. The problem is that it is VERY expensive to translate and they fear I am best known in France for heroic fantasy. They are talking about a British Council grant which helps publish long English books in France, but I'll probably know more when I finally get to France -- I hope by late this week or early next!

Leave a comment:

• vx69
    replied
    that's indeed a good reason of roaming e-bay...

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    "Byzance 1917" turns up on eBay from time to time.

Leave a comment:

• vx69
    replied
    the sad and pitiful story of your some of your works in french edition is just making me mad. It's almost impossible to find a copy of "Byzance 1917" (Byzantium Endures), whiwh I had the chance to find in a public library, and the following Pyat books were never translated... Or at least never published...

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    I'd forgotten La Defonce Glogauer. Pity nobody's reprinted it in France with La Maison de Rosenstrasse.

Leave a comment:

• vx69
    replied
    I recently found a french copy of "breakfast in the ruins", strangely translated "la défonce Glogauer" (which would mean, approximatively, "the Glogauer drug-craze") in the early eighties. I loved it. All the more it was especially hard to find..

Leave a comment:

• zxvasdf
    replied
    Glogauer also appears in the Pawn of Chaos Anthology by White Wolf Publishers. I can't recall which author wrote this particular story. The story's quite uneventful and just consists of Glogauer tagging along with a couple of Americans in India.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    Thanks for the info, Elwher. Here's the revised Wikipedia article as it is now:

Karl Glogauer is the protagonist of two novels by Michael Moorcock, and a secondary character in additional novels and short stories. In Behold the Man, he acts as a surrogate Christ after travelling to 28 AD in a time machine. The novel Breakfast in the Ruins contains a somewhat different Glogauer, centering on a homosexual love affair between him and an unnamed man from Nigeria. The chapters of the novel are interspersed with detailed, though fiction, fantasies about Glogauer's past lives.

Some of the aspects of Glogauer's childhood as described in Behold the Man are based on Moorcock's own childhood, though he says "I had such a happy childhood I had a hard time finding material, especially for the novel version". Likewise, Glogaeur's frequent headaches were also inspired by migraines that Moorcock suffered from, although these were later discovered to be caused by a adverse reaction to nicotine rather than any psychological causes as in Glogauer's case. (http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showp...8&postcount=20)

In Behold the Man, and at the start of Breakfast in the Ruins, Glogauer is white but by the end of Breakfast he has become black. (Similarly, Moorcock's Jerry Cornelius is white in The Final Programme but black in A Cure For Cancer.)

Other Appearences

Karl Galgauer also makes appearences - or is mentioned - in the following books/short stories:
    • The English Assassin (appears)
    • The End of All Songs (appears)
    • The Adventures of Jerry Cornelius (comic strip) (appears - where he bears a remarkable similarity to Moorcock)
    • The Adventures of Una Persson and Catherine Cornelius in the Twentieth Century (mentioned)
    • The Peking Junction (mentioned)
    • The Eternal Champion (mentioned)
    • The Condition of Muzak (reported that he was at the party with just about everyone else)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Glogauer

What do people think? Is there anything that needs to be added or changed?

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Phew! What'll you swap for that card index ?

Leave a comment:

• Elwher
    replied
    According to my card index, compiled many years ago, Glogauer appears in The English Assassin and The End of All Songs and is mentioned in The Adventures of Una Persson... and The Peking Junction as well as The Eternal Champion (Mayflower edition) and The Condition of Muzak (reported that he was at the party with just about everyone else!)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X