Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Warlord of the Air: question on names...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warlord of the Air: question on names...

Mike,

I know that when "Warlord of the Air" and the other Bastable stories were re-edited and compiled into "A Nomad of the Time Streams" for White Wolf (in the US) some changes were made, or at least old changes corrected. Captain Harding of the Lock Etive, for example, became Captain Qwelch--I suspect retroactively as was done with various von Beks in other stories. But I did find one thing rather curious and I'm wondering what exacly happened here...

I have a 1978 mass market of WotA from DAW and in it the Scoutmaster is Egan instead of Reagan (with the nickname changed accordingly from "Roughrider Robbie" to "Roughrider Ronnie"). Was this an editorial decision made in 1978 when the book first appeared in the US; or, did this character become Reagan retroactively, as Harding became Qwelch? If it was an editorial choice, was it self-imposed or was it the American publishers way of trying to avoid politicsm?
    "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
    --Thomas a Kempis

Originally posted by EverKing
    I have a 1978 mass market of WotA from DAW and in it the Scoutmaster is Egan instead of Reagan (with the nickname changed accordingly from "Roughrider Robbie" to "Roughrider Ronnie"). Was this an editorial decision made in 1978 when the book first appeared in the US; or, did this character become Reagan retroactively, as Harding became Qwelch? If it was an editorial choice, was it self-imposed or was it the American publishers way of trying to avoid politicsm?
    Ironically the change from Reagan to Egan in WLotA was made by the UK publishers, as Mike explains elsewhere:

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    Warlord of the Air was 'censored' in the UK but not in the US! The legal department at the publisher didn't want the stuff about Reagan, Jagger and so on in, so asked for it to be changed. Knowing the US edition was there and that I could soon bring out the regular edition inthe UK I didn't worry too much.
    The original US paperback in 1971 was uncensored. For some reason, the DAW '78 reprint used the UK '72 text rather than the '71 edition. The uncensored version wasn't published in the UK until the Orion omnibuses.

See also: http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showp...9&postcount=21
    Last edited by David Mosley; 06-24-2006, 01:32 PM.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Thanks Demos!

It is strange that it was the UK edition that initially suffered the censorship. Good information.

On a side note: in '78 DAW edition, Michael Jagger remains unchanged.
      "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
      --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Working...
      X