Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What is your favourite sequence in Moorcock´s books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favourite sequence in Moorcock´s books?

Hi, folks! :)
    I am very glad because Multiverse.org is back!
    I missed this virtual/multiversal place!
    I was wondering...
    What is you favourite sequence in Moorcock´s books?
    Mine is...
    Cymoril's death.
    Very sad, very tragic, very epic...
    Rita Maria Felix da Silva.
    State of Pernambuco - Brazil.

I like the bit in "Dancers at the End of Time", where Jherek rescues the little alien people from a river or lake or other watery area. I think it'd make a great painting.. the churning water, Amelia's dismay, Captain Mubbers's shocked gratitude, Jherek's complete lack of self-concern!
    the incredible sulk

Comment

There's this bit in The King of Swords, where Corum, while traveling through alternate realities, ends up in Earth's past in Cornwall. There he meets an elderly woman who can speak Corum's alien language. As it turns out,as a young girl, the woman and a friend had, while playing at magic,
      accidentally summoned one of Corums race to earth, thinking they
      were bringing an elf out of faerie. They couldn't send him
      back and he and the woman had a tragic love affair. It has nothing
      to do with the main plot, but it's a nice, touching bit of writing.

Comment

My favorite might be the bit of slapstick at the end of 'King of the City', when the reader realizes the sandbag released at the beginning of the book has stoved in Barbican Begg's head-- the carpet-jerked-from-beneath-your-feet feeling of 'The solution was there all along!' Wonderful effect.

Comment

The Four Who Are One

The destruction of Agak and Gagak at the sword tips of Erekose, Corum, Hawkmoon and Elric has planted an image in my mind.
          The four who are one...beautiful.The control that Arioch had over Elric was at times frustrating, but Corum crushing his heart with the hand of Kwll made up for it all.

Comment

The opening of 'A Cure for Cancer', I think - I lived quite near the former Derry & Toms building for a while and every time I passed it I imagined those events occurring and kept an eye out for enemy choppers!

Comment

The end of Stormbringer, I'd have to say. It's probably the best ending to any story I've read. Even without all the foreshadowing you could see it coming, because it's the only right conclusion to the story, but it's still tremendously powerful.
              I also liked Rackhir's death in the same book, because it came a lot sooner than I'd expected it and it really caught me off guard.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowheart
                The end of Stormbringer, I'd have to say. It's probably the best ending to any story I've read. Even without all the foreshadowing you could see it coming, because it's the only right conclusion to the story, but it's still tremendously powerful.
                I also liked Rackhir's death in the same book, because it came a lot sooner than I'd expected it and it really caught me off guard.
                Maybe it's me, but I don't really understand what Elric became when the story ended. You'd've thunk that Elric would be immortal, but reckon that saga had to end sometime. Tis a good thing that Elric has forgotten a lot of his adventures or remember them as waking dreams, so there are a lot of potential for further Elric stories. I am especially interested in reading more about Elric in his incarnation of The White Crow (his 'dream quest' as found in the Skrayling Tree). Hell, I bet a story with 30 Elrics from different times, realms, and dreams could be written.

My favorite sequence of the Moorcock stories would have to be the harlequin sequence in 'The Condition of Muzak' where the harlequin sneaks through the hustle and bustle of the city, into the ball, and visits Columbine and false harlequin is vanquished. Another favorite is where Jerry sinks into a fugue and sleeps. Nye and the hindu retrieve him from his green womb on top of derry and toms.

Comment

My favourite sequence in Mike's books is probably apt to change as I read (or re-read) more and more of them, but one that really impressed me recently is from The Shores of Death.

* SPOILER * (highlight to read)

It's the moment near the end where Orland Sharvis fulfils Andros Almer's request and turns the world - one half-turn - so that Almer's 'kingdom' is now on the Night Side.

* SPOILER ENDS*

It just seems to be the perfect climax to what everything else in the book has been working towards. I find a similiar thing happens in Terry Pratchett's best novels, where the momentum of the narrative rises to this wonderful crescendo and the book becomes greater than the sum of its parts.
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Those scenes you 've mentioned are all great.
                    I prefer several scenes from Elric,but my no1 is...
                    The final battle against the armies of Chaos.Elric and the dragons,then the Lords of Law coming as reinforcements...magnificent! :)

(Good to see you all once more)

Comment

I find the scenes in 'Dancers from the End of Time' where Jherek is in Victorian London absolutely enthralling. I especially liked the end of his visit where he puts his head into the time machine.
                      Another scene with fantastic imagery, I think it is from 'The War Among The Angels,' is the one where giant bodies fall from another dimension to land, dead or dying, in a meadow. I think it may also feature from another perspective in one or more other stories.

Originally posted by zxvasdf
                      ...the harlequin sequence in 'The Condition of Muzak' where the harlequin sneaks through the hustle and bustle of the city...
                      Am I mistaken or does a similar sequence happen in another book? Perhaps Gloriana? It seemed familiar when I re-read it recently. Perhaps it's just the déja vu caused by reading too much JC.
                      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island
                        Am I mistaken or does a similar sequence happen in another book? Perhaps Gloriana? It seemed familiar when I re-read it recently. Perhaps it's just the déja vu caused by reading too much JC.
                        For me, the JC stories always had an ubiquitous quality to them, as if they were countless variations of the same chord. So it's easy to become confused sometimes...

Comment

For me, the most intersting champion is Elric .....

My favourite sequence would be the eye of the tiger ......

But the best of the best is ? i don' t know ......

Comment

My favorite is Josef Kiss with the bomb in Mother London

Comment

Yeah, Doc. That might be my favourite, too. It's the sequence I chose to put on CD when a now defunct firm put me in the studio to do an audio extract from ML and another from King of the City. Always regretted they didn't put that out.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
                              X