Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Moorcock On Broadway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moorcock On Broadway?

Im curious as to whether or not there was ever any thought put into any plays based on Mike's work over the years? I realize that the props and effects would be a handful, but imagine an "Elric Of Melnibone" stageplay! I know that I would be first in line waiting for tickets.
    (in a sleeping bag no doubt)
    Last edited by voilodian ghagnasdiak; 06-17-2006, 12:56 PM.

I believe there was once a small production of Behold the Man on stage!I think certain parts of The War Hound and The World's Pain would work well as a play! That would be incredible! imo.I don't think there was an Elric play, but there are many others here with more knowledge on the subject than me. ;)

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Bump.

I've moved this over from the FAQ forum because it really belongs here, and I wanted to see whether the software worked.

Comment

Thanks John..I listened to Test Tube Concieved last night( 4 times ) after hearing your thoughts on the wonderful, late R.Calvert.

Comment

Well, of course, Elric HAS been on stage in Chronicle of the Black Sword. I thought it looked pretty good. Not bad music, either.
          Yes, there was a stage version of Behold the Man at least once. In France, as I recall. And I have a feeling there was another one in Canada.
          Nothing that I ever saw in England or the US, but that could just be my bad memory. There have been two movies projected, which never got much past script stage. The first one was with Mai Zetterling, which I was really looking forward to, but sadly the studios wanted to make a lot of changes which neither she nor I wished to make, so ultimately it was scotched. A great shame.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Forgot to mention that a TV team is coming to interview me in Paris next month. They're doing a documentary on Hawkwind. I was just saying how much I admired Bob's stuff and what a great professional he was, especially when he was feeling okay. I always enjoyed working in the studio with Robert.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

The sleeping bag comment meant that I would sleep in a line for days waiting for tickets Mike. Im not much for going to plays and ballets and the sorts, but I would sure as #### go to see anything that you had created in any form of stage production!

Comment

Originally posted by voilodian ghagnasdiak
                The sleeping bag comment meant that I would sleep in a line for days waiting for tickets Mike. Im not much for going to plays and ballets and the sorts, but I would sure as #### go to see anything that you had created in any form of stage production!
                Off topic: VG, did you use #### or do I have some dopey censor module pinching bad words?
                Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Please align me if Im out of sorts, but I thought that you and Bob C. complimented each other with your works. Bob seemed more into short poetic futuristic randoms whilst you were travelling a rainbow of varieties throughout the multiverse, with no holes barred. If you are doing a commentary on Hawkwind I would imagine that you still talk to Dave B. occassionally. I have only met him three times and although being short tempered, he was very polite and well mannered.It was a fun time that I will always cherish.I would say the same about being in your acquaintance!

Comment

Berry Wrote
                    Off topic: VG, did you use #### or do I have some dopey censor module pinching bad words?
                    No it was me Berry.All that talk of people being banished from the site this afternoon (good cop-bad cop?) has made me paranoid about my deep rooted attitudes.

Comment

I saw the Hawkwind Solstice at Stonehenge dvd, it has a preview of the Elric show, but I have not found it yet, it sounds like it is really good after reading this. I am getting more interested in the band every day, and thanks to good friends, I am able to hear more of their songs. :) That documentary will be fun to watch for sure. Mike, when I first read the tv crew part, I almost jumped out of my chair because I thought it was going to say you were going to have your own tv show or something. Then I thought during the split second that maybe they would put one of your stories on tv, like a mini-series based on the Multiverse comics, but there I go jumping to conclusions. I am just so happy this site is up and that I am hearing all this great news.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                        Forgot to mention that a TV team is coming to interview me in Paris next month. They're doing a documentary on Hawkwind. I was just saying how much I admired Bob's stuff and what a great professional he was, especially when he was feeling okay. I always enjoyed working in the studio with Robert.
                        Excellent news, Mike - about time the Hawks made an appearance on TV other than the standard clip of Silver Machine featured on every documentary about prog / hippies / metal / festivals / drugs (delete as appropriate.
                        \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

Sometime in the 80s, a small London theatre group called The Wicked Witches adapted a Cornelius short story for the stage. I posted about it before:

Originally posted by GuyLawley
                          I never saw this one, but I do remember back in the 80s or early 90s seeing a very entertaining stage version of one of the Jerry Cornelius short stories. It may have been The Entropy Circuit. I remember the Pope was in it. It got quite a few laughs (deliberately, I think).
                          Originally posted by GuyLawley

It played at a very small London theatre (very "off Broadway").

Comment

I heard from a few freinds of mine of a production of Behold the Man in the Lincoln area a few (probably over five) years back. I was discussing books with them and inevitably MM came up and they told me about this production they had seen. It was very experimental and not particulaly great in their opinion. They are all actors/directors or other theatrical types (like me) and tend to see a lot of plays so they may have got confused! Don't remember any of the details though. Sorry!
                            \"Mercy? I don\'t deserve it.\"
                            Karl Glogaur - Behold the Man
                            Michael Moocock

Comment

It would be a wonderful thing to keep an update on Mikes tv interview regarding the musicnauts from the end of time. That is one I MUST tape and guard with my life.I have recordings of a handful of interviews with Dave Brock, Nik Turner and Lemmy, but one with Mike's views would be the coup de grace! In reality Mike M. is the nucleus of the whole eternal champion concept musically, fictionally and even spiritually.

Comment

Working...
                              X