Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Need help with names of the Black Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with names of the Black Sword

Hiyas,

I could use a bit of help with the various names that the Black Sword has in the EC books.

I am planning on running some quests soon on the mud I play. One of them will be about the swords and I need at least 8 different names.
    (To form the symbol of chaos)

Stormbringer, Mournblade, Ravenbrand, Traitor, Sword o/t Dawn are the ones that come to mind (not sure how to spell Erekose's one from the top of my head) but I am sure there are several other sword names.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Need help with names of the Black Sword

Originally posted by Kariya
    Stormbringer, Mournblade, Ravenbrand, Traitor, Sword o/t Dawn are the ones that come to mind (not sure how to spell Erekose's one from the top of my head) but I am sure there are several other sword names.
    Stormbringer and Morunblade are the names of two distinct Black Swords, whereas I think Ravenbrand is the name of Stormbringer in Count Ulric von Bek's Germany of the 1940s. The Sword of the Dawn from the Hawkmoon books has never been identified as an 'incarnation' of the Black Sword afaik; in Hawkmoon's world the Black Jewel has that status.

Corum probably has a sword but I don't remember its name (if any) nor if it's supposed to be an aspect of Stormbringer.

But since there millions of black swords, I suppose you could easily make up your own versions.

I suggest you might start by looking at David Gemmell's titles for inspiration. ;)
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I know that often it's the same sword but a different incarnation or that sometimes it's not quite the same (such as the Sword of the Dawn, or Corum's sword Traitor) but I am not even touching that. As this is a regular mud, not a Eternal champion/Moorcock's multiverse mud, nobody will call me on small discrepancies. I just hope to find 8 names that have been used in the various books and link 8 wielders to it who are looking for the sword.

As a final resort I will have to turn to my own names and versions (Trust me, my character Kariya the Dark Fire wields a blade named Cinta with somewhat familiar properties *blink*) but I hope someone can help me out and give me some more names ;)

Comment

Not all names for the same black sword, as Dave noted above, or even black swords, but here goes, mixing Moorcock and mythological sources...

• Stormbringer (Elric)
        • Mournblade (Yyrkoon)
        • The Black Blade (Urlik Skarsol)
        • Kanajana (Erekosأ«)
        • Ravenbrand (Ulric)
        • Durandana (Roland)
        • Caledvwlch (Artos the Celt)
        • Claأ­omh Solais (Nuada Airgeadlأ،mh) or Tyrfing (Svafrlami)

(Note that Mike lists Roland and Artos as other incarnations of the EC... so the last two aren't too much of a stretch.)

Claأ­omh Solais - the Sword of Light - is likely the antithesis of Stormbringer... so I think I might be looking for another symbology than that you're seeking.

Ciao,
        Ant

PS. Edited in the light of later posts!

Comment

Also Kanajana (Erekose's first sword) and probably Jerry's needlegun. :)
          Best/Mario

Comment

Originally posted by demos99
            Stormbringer and Morunblade are the names of two distinct Black Swords, whereas I think Ravenbrand is the name of Stormbringer in Count Ulric von Bek's Germany of the 1940s.
            Actually, I get the impression from the White Wolf's Son that Ravenbrand is actually Mournblade and not Stormbringer. Thus the two can exist side by side. Not that incarnations of the same thing couldn't exist side by side as Elric has proved many times, and in fact Stormbringer and Mournblade are somewhat incarnations of the same black sword that co-exist as "sister swords" in the same realm. Nonetheless, Stormbringer seems more powerful, and more sentient than either Ravenbrand or Mournblade, and there is also in Ravenbrand an answer to whatever happened to Mournblade after Elric killed Yrkoon.
            My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Mario
              Also Kanajana (Erekose's first sword) and probably Jerry's needlegun. :)
              How could I have overlooked Kanajana?! But... I forget... is that a physically distinct sword from Erekosأ«'s Black Blade?

I did consider Jerry's weapon, which is closer symbolically to Stormbringer than, say, Claأ­omh Solais - but its physical manifestation is just too incongruous!

Ciao,
              Ant

Comment

***Possible spoiler alert - don't read if you haven't read The Dreamthief's Daughter***

Judging by Ravenbrand's refusal to act according to Gaynor's wishes in TDD I think of it as a more evolved/sophisticated version of SB or MB (ref Von Ashe's instructions to Ulric earlier in TDD).

Comment

Originally posted by Dead-Air
                  Stormbringer and Morunblade are the names of two distinct Black Swords, whereas I think Ravenbrand is the name of Stormbringer in Count Ulric von Bek's Germany of the 1940s.
                  Actually, I get the impression from the White Wolf's Son that Ravenbrand is actually Mournblade and not Stormbringer.
                  Ah, could be. I've only just started reading Dreamthief so its early days yet in working out all that's going on.
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

There was also some buzz about that the last book of the trilogy would be titled Mournblade, but perhaps that was before Michael wrote everything and the content dictated otherwise (?)
                    My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Erekose has Kanajana the Black Sword in 'The Eternal Champion' and switches to 'the black blade' when he becomes Ulrik Scargosil (or a name to that effect) in 'Pheonix in Oblivian.

Comment

Originally posted by manmiles
                        Erekose has Kanajana the Black Sword in 'The Eternal Champion' and switches to 'the black blade' when he becomes Ulrik Scargosil (or a name to that effect) in 'Pheonix in Oblivian.
                        Mmm... I was basing my post on a list that I'd compiled some years ago, but checking now in Dragon in the Sword, it is indeed Urlik Skarsol "who bore the Black Blade"... in Phoenix in Obsidian.

Ciao,
                        Ant

Comment

Urlic Scarsol bears a sword which is called Frost or Frozen Sword, I don't remember exactly (it seems more like Frozen). He's calling it the Black Blade 'cos it is a memory of some other incarnation's (possibly of Elric).

Comment

Corum probably has a sword but I don't remember its name (if any) nor if it's supposed to be an aspect of Stormbringer.
                            He had a sword called Traitor in The Sword an the Stallion, ...

[SPOILER]

... which killed him in the end.

But it didn't seem to be sentient like Stormbringer or other incarnations, it was just manipulated by the Daghdagh's harp.
                            The spear Bryionak from The Bull and the Spear might be another aspect of the Black Sword, as well as the Hand of Kwll in the first Trilogy...

Comment

Another Sword Incarnation?

In the Tales of the White Wolf....the collection of short stories that came out in like 1994....there is a tale of Elric meeting a knight who is searching for Excalibur....which after it is found Elric swiftly destroys it with a strike from Stormbringer. Now could Excalibur be an incarnation of Mourneblade or another of Stormbringer....or even crazy yet an incarnation of the Rune Staff itself. What do you all think?

Comment

Working...
                              X