Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Next SFWA Grand Master

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Next SFWA Grand Master

Some people at rec.arts.sf.written are thumbing through a list of authors who they think should be considered for SFWA Grand Master, whatever that is.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...92088b7246bcfb
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

As ever, Wikipedia has the answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science...ers_of_America

My response would be that of Jerry Seinfeld on learning that Elaine was collecting tokens towards a free sub, despite the fact that she despised the subs she was eating to collect the tokens: "Is there some sort of hat involved?"
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

How horrible would it be for Mike to get http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gandalf_Grand_Master_Award instead?
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
        How horrible would it be for Mike to get http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gandalf_Grand_Master_Award instead?
        I don't think it would be "horrible" for Mike to be in the same company as Fritz, Poul, Ursula, et al.. Just because it's called the Gandalf Award doesn't mean that your work is being compared to JRRT's. But, "ironic", yes.

Far more worrying is that LSdC won it...

Ciao,
        Ant

Comment

SFWA. In another corner of the multiverse, no doubt it's also known as the "So F****** What Award". :D
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I kinda like the SFWA people. "Mostly harmless", they are. I'd think it a trip if Mike, Harlan, and Larry Niven were awarded a Triple Crown, as it were - for the combo certainly covers most of the gamut of sci-fi (scientifiction, speculative fiction, applied fantasy, intelligent design, whatever y'all want to call it). Awards are good things. They give you something to put on the mantle and dust, and may attract snobby readers to buy books if you put the little logo on the cover.
            Miqque
            ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

Too much of a maverick for a 'Grand Master'?, as one person in the group says. Sounds good! :P
              'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Originally posted by Aral Vilsn
                Too much of a maverick for a 'Grand Master'?, as one person in the group says. Sounds good! :P
                MM, the Grand Maverick!
                "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

For the record I was told many years ago that I was going to get the Gandalf and I let it be known it would be kind of hypocritical of me to accept an award named after a character I'd shown so much disrespect towards!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                  The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                  Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                  The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                  Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Science Fiction and Fantasy? Why does Science Fiction always get top billing?

Comment

Working...
                    X