Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Most Impressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Impressed

Hello Mike and forum readers,

I don't really have a question at the moment. This is just an introductory 'hello'.

I'm a 35 year old Australian, a big fan (even if I'm only 60 kg) and as you can see by my post count, this is my 1st post. Nmag is just my initials, my name is Noel. I have nearly 30 MM books that I have collected since my early teens (early 1980's). Lots of my MM books are generally 'Mayflower Science Fantasy' printed in early 70's. They were collected from 2nd hand book shops around Sydney, and some fresh copies as gifts from my parents while growing up, or ones I bought. The mayflower cover arts are unreal.

My favourite incarnation is Corum followed by Hawkmoon. I really liked Behold the Man. Rituals of Infinity is also a favourite. I don't think I ever finished The Black Corridor, it was kind of strange, started it a few times.

Recently I started to read the whole lot again and started with 'The Eternal Champion' (the reading orders on this site are very handy). I don't get to read much (and I read slowly - but enjoy it) so it can take me about a week to get through each book. My copy of the Eternal Champion has almost orange pages (from age) and pages fall out. I have not lost any yet.

Anyway, you are my favourite writer of all time. I too started as a draftsperson, but found it boring and moved to the action outside (civil engineering). I was expected to be an engineer but was more interested in 'company management systems'. Now I do quality management systems. Having a strong appreciation for visual things, I really love the way scenes are described. Colour, shape, all that stuff. I have read a fair few other fantasy writers works, but none seem to do it for me like the work of 'Mike'. Many styles seem to spend too much time explaining the 'background',they drone on and on, but quality is in the eye of the beholder and some may like that.

So anyway, thanks for writing these great works which I have enjoyed over and over and still return to. I get bored easily when reading but your books keep me on track.

I have looked all over this site, it's great. I might lay all my books down in a grid and take a single photo that captures the covers as the cover art is SO good and I can't find that much on the site so far.

Sorry I didn't structure my post as well as some of the gurus around here, but hey.. I'm a reader, not a writer.

You don't need to reply if your busy, I just wanted to say thank you.

Thanks again!
    :clap:

[email protected]
    www.eternallylost.com

Hi Nmag, welcome to the site.

I think Bob Haberfield did a lot of the Mayflower covers and demos99 has added an entry on him in the Moorcockopedia [broken link]here. There is a list, further down from the images, of the books that Bob did covers for. I'm sure some of them can be found in the gallery, too.
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-23-2010, 04:21 AM.
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

wow, thank you for the direct link Gov, yeah they are the ones I have :)

he is an aussie too!

I'll look up Bob's art on the net. Friends who I have shown my books have all commented on the cover art of the Eternal Champion. I was always intrigued by the cover of Behold the Man as well (the spring candle thing)

Found a newer book (gift from parents) I have never read, called 'Blood'.

I'll read it one day.

Will look up Bob's art on the net when I have some time.

Comment

Welcome to the site, Nmag.

If I can be so presumptuous, I'll encourage you to read that copy of Blood... :D

One of my favorites.

Comment

Greetings and hello Nmag. :D

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
          - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Hello Nmag.

Where "Blood" is concerned, I concur with Doc...read it. :clap:
            "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
            --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Thanks, Nmag. Yes, Bob was indeed also an Aussie and a very strong anti-royalist! All those covers had anti-Windsor sub-themes, he told me.
              There is some understanding, in fact, that Tanelorn lies somewhere in the Australian hinterland.
              Thanks a lot for writing. Much appreciated.

Comment

I'm fairly new here myself Nmag, but I think you'll find that you have a lot in common with many others here. First and foremost being our great love for Michael Moorcocks fiction.
                Welcome!
                ..he weeps with the wonder of suddenly recollected innocence, of something he believed lost as everything else is lost to him and which makes him believe, if only for this moment, that what he has lost might be, perhaps, restored.

Comment

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Been going through this site in more detail.

Will read Blood by the end of the year.

I made a mistake in my initial post. Got a couple of books mixed up. "Rituals of Infinity is also a favourite." Should really read "The Blood Red Game is also a favourite". I remember reading it within 2 days (when I was 14 or 15 ~ 1985) which is a record for me.

Lots of people seem to compare Mike's work and JR4T, strange. I think the styles are so very different, even if the genres are slightly similiar.

My favorite JR4T story is "Farmer Giles of Ham", it's a short story, a kids story (as I regard most of his works). L0TR for me was never anything special, 'more' is not always 'better'.. i prefer 'less is best'. Although The H0bit was somthing I could regard as 'special'.

I found MM's work better suited to a mature reader. :clap:

I have checked my stock of MM books and realise I need to buy about 10 to fill some empty slots in the reading list. There is a shop in Parramatta, I'll buy/order them all in from there. :)

Also I noticed something about Mike having a story in 'The Naked Lunch'. I don't understand? :? I have seen the movie a couple of times but where is the MM story? .. "And so I took my work underground, to stop it getting into the wong hands" is the only line i remember, it's also used at the start of a techno/rave music album by Prodigy (which I have).

I'm so appreciative, it's warming that my favorite author visits this active fan site. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Nmag
                    Also I noticed something about Mike having a story in 'The Naked Lunch'. I don't understand? :? I have seen the movie a couple of times but where is the MM story? .. "And so I took my work underground, to stop it getting into the wong hands" is the only line i remember, it's also used at the start of a techno/rave music album by Prodigy (which I have).
                    I think what you're referring to is actually a letter that Mike wrote to the Times Literary Supplement in Nov. 1963 in defense of WSB's The Naked Lunch, which had been savagely reviewed in the TLS a couple of weeks earlier. The lengthy 'UGH' correspondence (so-called after the title of the original review) has been reprinted in certain editions of TNL, but not all by any means afaik.

You can find Mike's contribution in the Image Gallery: [broken link]
                    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-23-2010, 04:14 AM.
                    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Hi Nmag! Doesn't he just rock? It's a relief to be able to communicate with other people who understand -- who get it. See ya!

Comment

My favourite of Sir Michael Moorcock's books..

My personal favourite book is the Land at the end of time and Jherek Carnelian (is that the right spelling) - It was mind blowing for a 19 year old like me.. My first experience with Moorcock was an Erekose novel at 17- I forget the name wherein he is reincarnated and then takes on an unknown enemy who actually mean his people no harm but he is baited to attack them.. Only to find out they are the original 'humans' and that they have hidden vaults of weaponry- at the time I found the prose amazingly unhokey for a fantasy book... and still do.. Corum is my dream 'to make' film- after that would be Hawkmoon- which would work as an allegory in these somewhat dark benighted times..

As far as the Sir remark is - Michael Moorcock (even pronouncing his name with out some sort of prefix makes me feel a wee bit ashamed) should be knighted.. All in favour- say Aye.. AYE!!!

Comment

Thanks, pards.
                          As for a knighting, it wouldn't be very seemly for one who has been such a staunch republican anti-monarchist for so many years to go around taking honours. I prefer to be on the same side of the road as J.G.Ballard and Benjamin Zephaniah, who eloquently turned down their honours. My uncle did the same. He saw no point in it unless it came with a cash accompaniment, he said.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

If not a knighting Mike, perhaps a barony would be more appropriate (and in keeping with your creation of Granbreton)?

Baron Moorcock certainly has a ring to it. :D
                            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by demos99
                              If not a knighting Mike, perhaps a barony would be more appropriate (and in keeping with your creation of Granbreton)?

Baron Moorcock certainly has a ring to it. :D
                              Now that would be pretty cool. :D

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                              - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
                              X