Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Sonic Attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonic Attack

Posted on Mon, Nov. 07, 2005

Cruise ship attacked by pirates off Somalia used sonic weapon

Associated Press

MIAMI - The crew of a luxury cruise ship used a sonic weapon that blasts earsplitting noise in a directed beam while being attacked by a gang of pirates off Africa this weekend, the cruise line said Monday.

The Seabourn Spirit had a Long Range Acoustic Device, or LRAD, installed as a part of its defense systems, said Bruce Good, a spokesman for Miami-based Seabourn Cruise Line. The Spirit was about 100 miles off Somalia when pirates fired rocket-propelled grenades and machine guns as they tried to get onboard.

The subsidiary of Carnival Corp. was investigating whether the weapon was successful in warding off the pirates, he said. The ship's captain also changed its course, shifted into high speed and headed out into the open sea to elude the pirates, who were in two small boats, he said. He had no further details.

The LRAD is a so-called "non-lethal weapon" developed for the U.S. military after the 2000 attack on the USS Cole off Yemen as a way to keep operators of small boats from approaching U.S. warships.

The military version is a 45-pound, dish-shaped device that can direct a high-pitched, piercing tone with a tight beam. Neither the LRAD's operators or others in the immediate area are affected.

The device's makers compares its shrill tone to that of smoke detectors, only much louder. It can be as loud as about 150 decibels, while smoke alarms are about 80 to 90 decibels.

Source: http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradent...printstory.jsp
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

In case of sonic attack on your dinghy, follow these rules...

Comment

Well, at least they now need no longer hire the ships' crew for their their prowess with cutlasses.
      I expect eBay being swamped with cutlasses soon.

en guard, ye lubberly scum!
      Google ergo sum

Comment

Yep, technology is getting pretty cool.

Those ships need to stay out of pirate invested waters though.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Sonic weapons versus pirates and other criminals: Very cool! Kick ass!

Sonic Weapons and other "less lethal" weapons versus peaceful protesters: Not so cool.

I've been worrying about stories I've been reading about the development of anti-crowd weapons, particualry a "less lethal" microwave weapon that uses extreme pain. It feels like getting sprayed with boiling water.

I think even the Rev. Martin Luther King would think twice about marching if it felt like he was being sprayed with boiling water.

And you know they will use these weapons to squelch dissent. "Take that you hippies!" ZZZZAAAAAPPPP!!!!

Addendum:

Just a few more words on this less-lethal weapon, which may undermine democracy. I don't really KNOW if it feels like boiling water. That is from my imagination. For a better article on this go here:

http://www.newscientist.com/article....mg18725095.600

The ADS weapon's beam causes pain within 2 to 3 seconds and it becomes intolerable after less than 5 seconds. People's reflex responses to the pain is expected to force them to move out of the beam before their skin can be burnt.
          You better start running hippy! Get out of that wheel chair, and haul ass, you LIBERAL!

Comment

King's followers had to have thought twice, and faced bullets, bombs, lynchings, police dogs, billy clubs, and fire hoses anyway, and I imagine that if the breakthrough struggle was happening today instead of 40 years ago, they'd think twice and do the same.
            "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Originally posted by Talisant
              King's followers had to have thought twice, and faced bullets, bombs, lynchings, police dogs, billy clubs, and fire hoses anyway, and I imagine that if the breakthrough struggle was happening today instead of 40 years ago, they'd think twice and do the same.
              Well said, and point taken.

Comment

:2cents: peace

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
                  :2cents: peace
                  forgot to sign in
                  "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Originally posted by Bradi
                    Sonic weapons versus pirates and other criminals: Very cool! Kick ass!

Sonic Weapons and other "less lethal" weapons versus peaceful protesters: Not so cool.

I've been worrying about stories I've been reading about the development of anti-crowd weapons, particualry a "less lethal" microwave weapon that uses extreme pain. It feels like getting sprayed with boiling water.

I think even the Rev. Martin Luther King would think twice about marching if it felt like he was being sprayed with boiling water.

And you know they will use these weapons to squelch dissent. "Take that you hippies!" ZZZZAAAAAPPPP!!!!

Addendum:

Just a few more words on this less-lethal weapon, which may undermine democracy. I don't really KNOW if it feels like boiling water. That is from my imagination. For a better article on this go here:

http://www.newscientist.com/article....mg18725095.600

The ADS weapon's beam causes pain within 2 to 3 seconds and it becomes intolerable after less than 5 seconds. People's reflex responses to the pain is expected to force them to move out of the beam before their skin can be burnt.
                    You better start running hippy! Get out of that wheel chair, and haul ass, you LIBERAL!
                    Another problem is that in field tests, participants are asked to remove their glasses because that could aggravate their danger. It is unlikely that rioters would be asked to remove their glasses. Plus, in cramped conditions movement would prove tricky. And yes, I read the same New Scientist article

Comment

Sonic weapons, huh?

I heard about them.

8O
                      Miqque
                      ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

Originally posted by Miqque
                        Sonic weapons, huh?

I heard about them.

8O
                        Hearing about them is better than hearing them.

Comment

The Sonic Pirates?

There's a story in that title somewhere...Probably about Pirates and sonic technology one would think.

Comment

"Small pirates may be placed in cocoons...."

Comment

Abba. Barry Manilow and a few others, played at full blast, should send the seadogs scampering back to their ports, I'd say. Or, indeed, scuppering themselves rather than hear any more.
                              Captain Buggerly Otherly would know just what sort of sonic attack to give 'em, by 'eck.
                              Send another blast of Janet Jackson across their bows, Little Rupoldo.
                              Oh, cap'n, ye can be a cruel man when ye wants ter be. What if I just give 'em a touch of Peter, Paul and Mary...Just make 'em heave to...
                              Jackson or nothin', LR. We'll make 'em heave, all right. They'll wish they'd never put to sea. Or A minor, for that matter.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
                              X