Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Berry: Reader as opposed to Fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berry: Reader as opposed to Fan?

Berry, you mentioned in your Site History column that fans are different from readers. Could you explain a bit more about that here? . From what I gathered from your article, I'll have to rethink how I categorize myself and call myself a reader instead of a fan. I know Stephen King calls his fans 'dear, constant reader'.
    ..he weeps with the wonder of suddenly recollected innocence, of something he believed lost as everything else is lost to him and which makes him believe, if only for this moment, that what he has lost might be, perhaps, restored.

Heh, I'm a reader, not a fan. I love MM books (not all of I've read) but its nothing to my Conan collection - swords, figures, books, paintings, games, cards, autographs, etc, etc :D

Comment

Originally posted by Azariel
      Heh, I'm a reader, not a fan. I love MM books (not all of I've read) but its nothing to my Conan collection - swords, figures, books, paintings, games, cards, autographs, etc, etc :D
      I am a reader as well.

Would you become a fan if the Elric movie produces memorabilia? ;)

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Conan

Your a person after my own heart Az. I've been a big Conan and REH 'reader' for years. REH and Moorcock are always who I look for first when perusing the bookstores.
        ..he weeps with the wonder of suddenly recollected innocence, of something he believed lost as everything else is lost to him and which makes him believe, if only for this moment, that what he has lost might be, perhaps, restored.

Comment

Lemec, being a fan can get very expensive. "So much memorabilia, so little money".

Comment

Mike noticed at the old site that I was using the phrase "fan" a lot in the copy of the site. He wrote to me asking that I change the word from fan to reader, because he felt the word reader has a much more positive and respectful connotation. I thought he was picking a nit at first, but I came around quickly.

I don't want to define for Mike or you or anyone else what the difference between a fan and a reader are. I can say that when I was a big Star Wars fan I bought everything I could get, I was obsessed with it all, my behaviour was very consumeristic and there was no lasting gratification when I wasn't being stimulated by the various artifacts. As a reader of Mike's I find that I remain satisfied after the fact, I don't feel obsessed and I'm not focused on having every thing he's ever written.

But I must be some kind of weird exception to a rule. I don't feel like a fan, but I run a website for fans of my favorite writer. Am I a fan, a reader or something totally off the chart? :?
            The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Hmm, your right. I was going to use the word consumer describing myself in my above post, but the connotation didn't seem right. Although a fan is a consumer a reader is not really. Using your logic, I feel much more comfortable as a reader than a fan.
              As a consumer I would see something that I wanted and I wouldn't be happy until I got it and then, like you, when I got it home(a statue,toy or whatever) I did feel an 'emptiness' or a letdown. Whereas reading Mike's work I feel the complete opposite; I feel satisfied and fulfilled. Thanks for the answer Berry. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
                I don't feel like a fan, but I run a website for fans of my favorite writer.
                This is an inadvertant usage of the word fans. I meant readers. :roll:
                The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by KanderGrimm
                  Hmm, your right. I was going to use the word consumer describing myself in my above post, but the connotation didn't seem right. Although a fan is a consumer a reader is not really. Using your logic, I feel much more comfortable as a reader than a fan.
                  As a consumer I would see something that I wanted and I wouldn't be happy until I got it and then, like you, when I got it home(a statue,toy or whatever) I did feel an 'emptiness' or a letdown. Whereas reading Mike's work I feel the complete opposite; I feel satisfied and fulfilled. Thanks for the answer Berry. :)
                  Ya, I found it best to buy the books as I read them. At one time I bought everything that I saw of MM and put them on the shelf for a rainy day. I still have some to catch up on because of that method. haha.

As far as collectibles, I do often wonder what I was thinking when I buy something. Then I remember that mostly I wanted the item to share with my friends or joke about or have a conversation piece. It is great if you have something you can sale again, but some things are so mass produced there is not a market for it anymore. They are fun for awhile,but not a lasting effect, except when you remember where you were when you got something and who you were with at the time. I agree that books have a longer lasting effect. So, instead of buying collectibles, I buy books and favourite movies on dvd,things that I can always get use out of. ;) I would not part with my Elric (Avalon Hill) Boardgame,but that is not just a collectible, I can play it. :lol:

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                  - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Re: Conan

Originally posted by KanderGrimm
                    Your a person after my own heart Az. I've been a big Conan and REH 'reader' for years. REH and Moorcock are always who I look for first when perusing the bookstores.

Same here - REH / Moorcock are the first things I look for in any used bookstore. The rest is secondary. But its awesome your a Conan "reader" (lol); I have two sets of the oginal Frazetta classic 12 books and a parchment poster of the famous "barbarian" painting used for Conan the Adventurer. I'm such a "reader" (lol) that Conan is like a lifestyle. I started reading it as a pudgy nerd and was so inspired that I thought, I can be him. A year later I was on my way to be muscle bound, full of enthusiasm to live out my own fantasies and achieve my personal victories in life. I have been known to say "By Crom!" a few times! :D

I knew Conan was the man for me after his words to Bأ?lit in Queen of the Black Coast:

I seek not beyond death. I know not, nor do I care. Let me live deep while I live; let me know the rich juices of red meat and the stinging wine on my palate, the hot embrace of white arms, the mad exhultation of battle when the blue blades flame and crimson, and I am content. Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content.

Its my philosophy in life and my motto - live deep, you live once after all! :D

Comment

Personally I'm not a fan or a reader. I belong to an obscure quasi-religion formed way back in the fifties, which believes that Mike alone has the power to unblock our minds, and free us from the alien-lizard overlords. They control the weather, and put those weird chips inside CDs so that men in vans know which albums you've bought. Fact. 8O
                      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by Azariel
                        You've got Conan's autograph? 8O

Comment

It's funny Az, I got into Howard when I was about 14 yrs. old. I read many other authors as well, but REH was a passion and I scoured the new and used bookstores looking for everything that he wrote. Then after awhile I guess I outgrew him and moved on, discovering other authors who were better writers than Howard, trying to expand my knowledge and insight. Those early reading years were incredibly full and memorable and I had a lot of fun along the way.For some time I was almost embarassed to admit that I read REH and Sword and Sorcery in general. There seemed to be a bias and condescencion against that sort of fiction for a long while. But now that I'm older I'm able to read Howard with different eyes and can appreciate him on a whole new level and the genre itself seems to be gaining a new found respect in recent years.
                          Anyway I'm rambling and I've lost my point, but in my personal reading history its interesting to follow a distinct linear pathway leading from Howard and Burroughs, to Doyle and Chandler, to Vance and Zelazny, to Lieber and Moorcock and then back again in a rich abundant circle.
                          Yeah, I'm a reader and proud of it.

Comment

Originally posted by johneffay
                            You've got Conan's autograph? 8O
                            No.

I got Arnold's though on the movie script for Conan the Barbarian! :D

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                              Personally I'm not a fan or a reader. I belong to an obscure quasi-religion formed way back in the fifties, which believes that Mike alone has the power to unblock our minds, and free us from the alien-lizard overlords. They control the weather, and put those weird chips inside CDs so that men in vans know which albums you've bought. Fact. 8O
                              scienfantology?
                              "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Working...
                              X