Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Moorcock's Miscellany Virtual Get-together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moorcock's Miscellany Virtual Get-together

Dear friends,

Demos99 and I are organizing a virtual get-together. We've tested the technology and find that it is viable medium for communicating in groups.

There are a couple things you'll need to participate.

1) A computer that is sound capable.

2) A microphone that you can connect to your computer (doesn't have to be an expesive mic) like this one: http://store.yahoo.com/pctekonline/commicwitbas.html

3) The desire to meet with other MM members (you could do this with a laptop at a coffee shop, school, McDonalds, or wherever).

4) A fast connection to The Internet.

5) Skype: http://www.skype.com/

What we need as a group:

1) I will provide a conference room.

2) 3 other geographic regions to "conference into" our conference.

What we will do:

talk our heads off about anything

This will be a trial run and if it seems feasible, we could have a rolling conference where one conference member drops out after a period of time and another geographic region conferences in.

Give it some thought. Any improvements would be greatly welcomed. Someone propose a date. I'm thinking near the holidays. I'm available to test a confernece host's system (we chat via Skype to see if you have issues).
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Hmm. Any chance of a chatroom setup without the mikes? I've done that before and it's quite fun.
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Sounds intriguing. What about the time difference between the continents?
      Mainly America (including the United States of Brazil ), Europe and Oz ...
      Google ergo sum

Comment

Cool. There must be a "Mike" around here somewhere...

:roll:
        Miqque
        ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

That sounds great. :D

It would be like a Team Speak program that I used.

I got my mic ready, when is the test run?

8)

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
          - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by Aral Vilsn
            Hmm. Any chance of a chatroom setup without the mikes? I've done that before and it's quite fun.
            I'm more inclined to no mics either. I've used them before all I get are squeeky chickmunk voices from time to time :lol:

Comment

That could be done as a seperate event or even in tandem, though I don't know how the latter could work (in tandem). We used to have a chat server for multiverse.org. Not any more though...
              The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
                That could be done as a seperate event or even in tandem, though I don't know how the latter could work (in tandem). We used to have a chat server for multiverse.org. Not any more though...
                I've seen a few java irc web clients.

There's a good one here:

http://www.psionics.net/chat/main.html

which I heard about from here:

http://www.ironcrown.com/icechat.htm

As you can see, there is a way to prelog into a channel. Just click on 'join java ice chat now' to see what I mean.

http://www.psionics.net

- has a b board for questions.

I think this is an excelent idea. When I heard of skype I wondered why no one was doing this.

I hate the sound of my own voice but I'm not shy. Should there be structured topic discussions or just a free for all? Will there be private rooms?

Just wondering aloud.

I wonder if there will be any arguments??

Will you have to kick people off? Will someone get so offended they'll quit the group? You never know I guess.

I'll try to stay queit and just listen. I don't want Mrs. Linda to chastise me again.

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
                  Put me down as a vote for a future chat event as well. I love the idea of the microphone version, but in practice my computer just doesn't like to make it work. I was on a discussion group for the Jim Leher New's Hour and they were even paying for it, but I had to bow out due to the crappy inconsistent (at best) sound quality from my old G3 iMac internal mic and it's refusal to work with the free external one they sent.

Nonetheless it's great your doing the event you are for those with better tech on hand.
                  My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

I think it will be great to hear everyone's voices and accents. :)

Early programs had alot of echo, but the new ones should be like talking on a big conference telephone.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I'm in :clap: Just give me a time and as long as I'm not working, I'll be there.

Ken
                      Ken Boorman
                      Purveyor of the Runestaff and Stormbringer Legends

Comment

Hmm, I used Skype a while back to talk to Storm Constantine and her people in the UK. It was passable, but barely. Sounds like they've made some improvements. I hope so. :)

Comment

Berry and I have had two Skype chats which have been reasonably successful - hence our idea of running a 'group chat' project. The technology seems fairly good - I won't say brilliant (yet). I use a Centrino 1.4, 512MB RAM notebook with wireless connection and as long as I don't have anythng else open (like a web browser) the conection is quite stable (unless one of us disconnects by mistake, eh Berry? ;)).

The main limitation at the moment (aiui) is that you can only have four computers communicating at once, which is why we're looking at the possibility of setting up 'group nodes' that people can gather at. This means the main logistic at this stage is finding out who's interested in doing this, where we all are and whether we can get people in one place to join in. (The other option as Berry suggests is to have a 'rota' system where people join and leave on a 'rolling' basis or something.

While IRC is something else we can do (I still have access for the time being to a private Java chatroom that we could use if need be) I think the appeal of Skype is to provide more personal communication since we are able to hear each others' voices. :)
                          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
                            I think it will be great to hear everyone's voices and accents. :)
                            Vat accents ? VE haff veys to diguise zem.
                            Google ergo sum

Comment

The problem with a mass group Skype chat is that what if everyone ends up talking at once? It'd be better to start out small and then work up.

Comment

Working...
                              X