Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Creating A Fiction Magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating A Fiction Magazine

Myself and a group of talented ( although we say so ourselves) writers are interested in starting a magazine catering for our interest in sc-fi/fantasy/horror/psychological fiction with a view to plugging our own material (there are only so many rejections a man can take).

Can anyone provide advice on any of the following issues that may need to be adressed for such a venture?

1. Legal issues - copyright, artistic rights etc
    2. Getting someone to buy/sell it - printing costs, building a fanbase etc
    3. Gaining a level of respect in the litery world ie. not being branded as some kind of mickey mouse project

Forgive me if this comes across as being far-fetched to some people, but we have a dream and we intend to pursue it. One aspect we don't have to worry about is the IT side of things. I have on standby programmers, software engineers, website designers etc ( my old mates from university)

Any advice would be most welcome.

Re: Creating A Fiction Magazine

You will find our forum called The Enclave at the End of Time to be a source of valuable information.

[broken link]

Prototype X is a magazine art project that contains some excellent cognitive fiction, art work and some aspiring writers cutting their teeth. As an art project, the goal is to produce work that makes people think, not sell units.

A couple of people have expressed their opinion that publishing magazines usually turns out to be a labour of love rather than a profit making venture.

Feel free to use The Enclave at the End of Time as a point of communication between you and your friends. Many people here may enjoy getting in on the act.

Originally posted by Dreamweaver
    Myself and a group of talented ( although we say so ourselves) writers are interested in starting a magazine catering for our interest in sc-fi/fantasy/horror/psychological fiction with a view to plugging our own material (there are only so many rejections a man can take).

Can anyone provide advice on any of the following issues that may need to be adressed for such a venture?

1. Legal issues - copyright, artistic rights etc
    2. Getting someone to buy/sell it - printing costs, building a fanbase etc
    3. Gaining a level of respect in the litery world ie. not being branded as some kind of mickey mouse project

Forgive me if this comes across as being far-fetched to some people, but we have a dream and we intend to pursue it. One aspect we don't have to worry about is the IT side of things. I have on standby programmers, software engineers, website designers etc ( my old mates from university)

Any advice would be most welcome.
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-13-2010, 12:27 PM.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

[Dee bounces in like an eager puppy with a bundle of pens around his neck]

Do you need any illustrations? :)
        "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Illustrations shall be needed. I’ve seen some of your work on the prototype x magazine and for this idea that we are doing, something much more grittier and darker is needed. Can you do darker themes?

Comment

...for this idea that we are doing, something much more grittier and darker is needed. Can you do darker themes?
            That's more my style Dreamweaver. :twisted: Check my website (button below) to see what I mean.

If you haven't the time or desire to poke around, then I might draw your attention to the following dark pieces:

[Six Pins] [Dark Alley] [Lilith] [After the Rain] [Ouija]

Warning: That last one isn't really safe to view at work.
            "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
            --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Can you do darker themes?
              :(

Sadly not. "A fly can't bird, but a bird can fly", as they say.

[Dee scurries back under the sofa with his tail between his legs]
              "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                Honest officer, eveything was calm at the bar until this "Lilith" woman came in and ordered a round for the house...you know the rest, all 15 men, can't figure how she got the poison into their glasses. :)
                "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

I particulary liked 'After The Rain.' It has the dark, exotic, landscape that we would be after for what we are doing. I'll keep you posted on progress and if we are interested in hiring your services then I'll let you know.

Comment

Working...
                  X