Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Looking for a starting point in the Eternal Champion Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a starting point in the Eternal Champion Series

Hello!

I was put onto the Eternal Champion by a friend. Being a bit of a perfectionist I would like to start reading from the earliest writings possible. I have read the Guide for Newbies thread ([broken link]) and from this it appears "The Eternal Champion" is it. I have purchased this book and would like to know if it is the correct one -

[broken link]
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 11:55 AM.

If you check the [broken link]Reading List you'll see a suggested order of reading.

Many people are likely to voice their opinions in this thread where they're likely to suggest a different order. Others will suggest that fiction other than The Eternal Champion series should be included in your reading.

The knack of reading Mike's work is discovering an order that pleases you most. My advice is to avoid a rigid reading order. After you've read a couple of trilogies, you may understand where I'm coming from.
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 11:54 AM.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Re: Looking for a starting point in the Eternal Champion Ser

Originally posted by Astral
      Hello!

I was put onto the Eternal Champion by a friend. Being a bit of a perfectionist I would like to start reading from the earliest writings possible. I have read the Guide for Newbies thread ([broken link]) and from this it appears "The Eternal Champion" is it. I have purchased this book and would like to know if it is the correct one -
      The "first" adventure of Jon Daker - under quotes since who knows how many times he's been reincarnated into someone else

But yeah, thats the glory of reading EC, you can really start anywhere, its nothing you gotta be rigid about. I personally started with Elric, not cause I was told to start there, it wasn't til the 2nd book did I realize the Eternal Champion undercurrent, and it wasn't into further reading did I learn about the other guys. I started with Elric, then Corum, then Eternal Champion (Jon Daker) and etc (all was really based what could be found in the used book store which was fun in itself, trying to piece a universe with various books and half completed series)
      Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 11:54 AM.

Comment

The omnibus series was done as a suggested order. You can find some suggestions at Amazon but the answers here are just as good!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Possibly something that's been lost to new readers of Mike's work in recent times is the sense of discovery I experienced when I first realised that Hawkmoon, Elric, Erekose, et al were all the same person. That occurred when I read The Sailor on the Sea of Fate and suddenly this guy called Corum showed up claiming to be an aspect of Elric. It's been so long since I read TSotSoF that I don't remember the precise order of meeting but I was very excited when Hawkmoon and Erekose turned up as well. It was like watching The Three Doctors all over again. :) You suddenly understood that all these seemingly disparate series that Mike had written were all inter-related - even the ones that seemed standalone like The Winds of Limbo.

I'm inclined to think that readers coming to Mike's novels for the first time are slightly spoiled by knowing all this in advance rather than being able to discover it for themselves like I did.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by demos99
            Possibly something that's been lost to new readers of Mike's work in recent times is the sense of discovery I experienced when I first realised that Hawkmoon, Elric, Erekose, et al were all the same person. That occurred when I read The Sailor on the Sea of Fate and suddenly this guy called Corum showed up claiming to be an aspect of Elric.
            It was in that same book that i first realized I had stepped into a larger world, as Obi-Wan once said. I recall reading the part where they all became one being and went -

I read the rest of the book fine but that first part threw me off and it wasn't til later that I came to appreciate it better. By the way, is Jon Daker a white or black guy? I recall a friend saying after reading The Sailor on the Sea of Fate saying Erekose was black. . . :?

Comment

Originally posted by Azariel
              By the way, is Jon Daker a white or black guy? I recall a friend saying after reading The Sailor on the Sea of Fate saying Erekose was black. . . :?
              He's been both, in different incarnations.

Comment

Originally posted by GuyLawley
                Originally posted by Azariel
                By the way, is Jon Daker a white or black guy? I recall a friend saying after reading The Sailor on the Sea of Fate saying Erekose was black. . . :?
                He's been both, in different incarnations.
                Technically, he's also been female (see The Champion of Garathorm) iirc.
                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

That was Illian, not Erekose.
                  The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Or was that Katinka van bak?

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
                      That was Illian, not Erekose.
                      Is she not an aspect of the Champion Eternal? :?

I did say 'technically'. ;)

Note to self: must get around to re-reading TCoG some day.

Comment

Then, it's very technical, because it would be:

John Daker => Erekose => Hawkmoon => Katinka van Bak

Jhary-a-Conel leads Hawkmoon through a tunnel (he was mad at the time) into Garathorm and is transmorgafied into Katinka iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                          And Jerry Cornelius didn't even have to change his name to become black or white, male or female... :)
                          Ya, g'job choosing a very asexual name on that one -

Comment

Ana Signorovitch GRD '07, a graduate student in the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, has recently provided conclusive evidence that placozoans, the simplest, multi-cellular, free-living animals, once thought only to be capable of asexual reproduction, are able to have sex.

Leo Buss, director of undergraduate studies of ecology and evolutionary biology and curator of invertebrates at the Peabody Museum, co-authored Signorovitch's paper, which was published in the early edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the Academy's journal. Buss said Signorovitch's findings are important because the majority of major animal groups' lifecycles have been worked out for the past century, and she has solved one of the relatively few remaining mysteries.

Source: http://www.yaledailynews.com/article.asp?AID=30367
                            Multisexual, old man, multi-sexual.
                            "Jerry Cornelius was based, for instance, on a young man I used to see around Notting Hill where there was also a greengrocer called Cornelius of London."

--Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
                            X