Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Mike - a kitty question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike - a kitty question

Mike &/or Linda-

The couple I'm living with have an elderly kitty, he's 18. The last couple of days poor ol' Al the Cat has been sneezing his l'il nose off. Otherwise he's pretty healthy. Any idea what's going on, and maybe some home remedies before they get him into the vet later in the week? (There's a bit of the ol' cash-flow crisis going on.)

Your advice is always right on the mark and much appreciated!

Best,
    -M.
    Miqque
    ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

First questions: is the kitty vaccinated (and up to date; ie within last 12 mths) against cat 'flu' and chlamydia? If not, good chance it's a viral upper-respiratory tract infection or chlamydial; may be dangerous in an elderly cat, advise antibiotics versus secondary infections plus supportive treatment.
    Do the couple or anyone in the environment smoke? If so, stop them smoking. Cats v vulnerable to secondary smoke effects.
    Any change of carpets/ furnishings/ etc in house? What are the seasonal environmental conditions at the moment (eg pollens): Could well be allergy as Mike suggests.
    OR: possible foreign body (usual = grass blade or seed head) up the snorter. Would need endoscopy.
    Could also be a fungal infection, or a polyp (inflammatory) or (at this age) a possible tumour (not necessarily malignant, but possibly) - again radiography (X-ray) or endoscopy needed.
    Is the sneezing watery snot or white/ green pussy snot (that's pus-sy snot, not pussy-snot, if you get me...).
    Strongly recommend local clinician examines: old cat, can't take a risk of leaving it too long...

Comment

I'd look meself but the call-out fee might be a bit high, even at cost :) . Feel free to e-mail me direct if you've got further info/ Q's:

[email protected]

Comment

Perdix and Mike - thanks so much. Owners have chosen to get Al in to the vet sooner rather than later.

I suspect it is a combination of things - we (that means ME) moved furniture. There's lots of mold and pollen about here in Colorado. We smoke, but only in one room and Al hangs out in other places in the house. And, i suspect, he may have been snorting some grass. Green weedy grass, not the munchie kind. The discharge doesn't look particularly pus-sy, more like the thickened mucous typical to humans in the area. (We do love our allergies around here.)

I'm so appreciative!

Thanks!
        -M.

PS- I'm better with humans than cats. Critters make me emotional. :cat:
        Miqque

Comment

Originally posted by Miqque
          And, i suspect, he may have been snorting some grass. Green weedy grass, not the munchie kind.
          :lol: Ah, that made me laugh!

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
          Could be a simple allergy but Perdix might have an idea. He's a vet, after all.
          I did not know that! Well, learn something new everyday. I have a friend who's studying to become a vet too :D

Comment

Tell the fool to stop now, before it's too late! Great God, does he not know with what dark and eldritch forces he meddles? Ia! Scrubs autoclave! By the nameless Anal Gland of Myelophthisis! See! See! Make him desist, before he slides into the dark vet'nary pit of horrorrrrrr (and poo)!!!!

Ahem.
            Miqque, a pleasure. Could also be he has a nasopharyngeal foreign body, ie a blade of grass up his sniffer. Easily dealt with.

Comment

best wishes to the honorable kitty whatever the cause of the sneezing.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
              - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Thanks, Perdix. What a wonderful site this is! Should mention here, by the way, that cats should NEVER, EVER, EVER be allowed near
                'recreational drugs'. Some of those aren't too good for humans but can actually kill cats in terrible ways. Sorry to sound so stern, but it's important information. Of course a responsible dealer will put a Cat Health Warning on every baggy, paper or bit of blotting paper he sells you...

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I think I might get a cat, that "familiar of writers" as Frank Herbert once said. . .

I better get Cats for Dummies first

Comment

Originally posted by Perdix
                    Ahem.
                    Miqque, a pleasure. Could also be he has a nasopharyngeal foreign body, ie a blade of grass up his sniffer. Easily dealt with.
                    So you say! Working in an E.R. I've helped remove many a foreign object, but while Alexander hath but a few teeth left, them things are sharp! And he's motivated!

Thanks again. Al's going to the vet tomorrow (or today, in your case).

Mike - I heartily second your admonition! (There are no recreatinal drugs here - although they might be of some help, at times!)
                    (I'm no Puritan, just a pauper. heh.)

Azariel - Yes! By all means! And rescue some worthy kitty from somewhere! (One hint- if there's a bunch of them, call out "here, kitty" and take the one who responds. That'll be your cat!)

8)
                    Miqque

Comment

Originally posted by Miqque
                      Azariel - Yes! By all means! And rescue some worthy kitty from somewhere! (One hint- if there's a bunch of them, call out "here, kitty" and take the one who responds. That'll be your cat!)

8)
                      Sounds like a plan!

Comment

Cats regard writers as their own -- a sort of superior cat that has worked out how to sit about all day apparently doing nothing and spend a lot of time sleeping -- with the added power of being able to open cans. We are to them merely cats with opposable thumbs. They can think of no finer praise. Dogs are okay, but they are not natural writers. They want to go out far too often and are generally over-friendly to visitors.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Re: foreign bodies, I of course meant to say:

'Easily dealt with - under GA...'

I caught my Meggie reading Lovecraft the other day. Incredible, as she's only fourteen weeks old. My cats don't usually start to read* until six months.

Drugs: when I worked in Leeds/ Manchester, a normal question (uttered tiresomely) was 'has he had access to recreational drugs?', as the por patient clung to the ceiling or walked into a wall. Many a hash-kitty I have seen, though the worst was a dog that ate a stash of 'E' and became centrally (ie in the brain) blind. Otherwise, survived OK. Lives on a farm with a load of cats now.

*Aloud.

Comment

Of course, when one wanders outside one's home, sometimes one encounters new "friends." I think of my friendly neighborhood pride of feral cats, who come running to greet me when they feel a desire for my "services": food, petting and grooming, a game of chase the cat toy, or sometimes just a nice warm lap.

I'm reminded further of the bobcat friend I made this way. When friends would see him come to me in the wild, they'd suffer panic attacks. It's just a 20 kilo kitty, I would say, scratching the friendly feline fellow's ears. The purr of a bobcat is quite a bit louder than that of a house cat. And deeper, too. Don't let them play "kitty tag" unless you are wearing body armor.

LSN

Comment

Working...
                            X