Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Moorcock on eBay

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good man! :)
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

• Radio Times cover and article now uploaded to http://www.multiverse.org/modules/Gallery/album385
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Originally posted by GuyLawley
        Here's a copy of Science Fantasy 60 up for sale, in fairly poor condition:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Terry-Pratchet...QQcmdZViewItem

We know this one is hard to get, containing as it does Terry Pratchett's first published story.
        This copy reached آ£21.00 and didn't reach its reserve price.

It has now been re-listed, reached آ£40.00, and still not reached its reserve!

This time the seller claimed that neither Pratchett nor his agent owns a copy, later adding that he has heard an unconfirmed rumour that Terry might actually have one! :)

Comment

• Guy or Aral,

In a little under 8 hours there are three auctions on eBay ending for New Worlds 156, 157, and 158, (respectively) which contain Mike's original "Wrecks of Time" serial. Is there any fundemental differences between that version and the version that appeared as the Ace Double paperback in the US (backed with Tramontane by Emil Petaja)? I've got an inkling that the serial was revised for the UK 'Rituals of Infinity' edition (in '71?), but I'm not sure whether to bid on the NW editions.

Since the Sainted PTerry has a story in NW156 I expect that one may well end up in double figures, so before I start bidding on any of them, I'd like to know whether there's any point (since I already have the Ace Double). :?
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• I think the Ace edition was edited down from the original, but am not 100% sure. If you can get any of those New Worlds issues for a reasonable price I'd bag 'em anyway, but yes the issue with the Pratchett story may well go right up. I used to have a spare copy of that issue but I think I sold it a few years ago.
            'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Comment

• Eek! I dunno. If I'm home it time I'll check the texts swiftly, but at the moment I'm still at work and time is ticking away... !!

I'm with Aral... everyone should have a set of New Worlds! But I speak as one who has somehow manged to bag the Prattshit issues of NW and SF at reasonable prices without even knowing they were "special"... clearly neither did the seller in either case... sheer dumb luck.

I knew they were special, really of course... that lovely Peake homage cover, a James Colvin novel... pretty special!

Comment

• I've spotted two minor revisions within the first few paragraphs, so the text has definitely been revised; these are minor things which look like Americanisation.

I've reminded myself that the ending "...and were soon rolling about in bed together" was famously cut for the US edition.

My guess is no major reviosns but no time to check!

Hope you're tuning in here, Demos! About 20 minutes to go!

Comment

• Thanks Guy. Well, I managed to bag NW157 & NW158, but the NW156 went for آ£16+ in the end and I couldn't justify maybe needing to spend آ£20+ just to get it. :(

Guess I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for another copy.

(Bloody Pratchett - why couldn't he remain unknown and poor? :x ) :P

Comment

• Yes, I'd bide my time demos, you might well find it a lot cheaper elsewhere. Well done on the other two. I made an impulse bid and won 160 to replace a naff copy I got in a job lot a month or two back. There are only a couple of Compact New Worlds I need now, one of which is 162 which the same seller had up last week, but I was outbid.

Comment

• 2 out of 3 ain't bad, Demos! Good luck with the search for a reasonably priced 156.

Comment

• The Chronicles of Count Brass boxed set is up on eBay again; the one with the wrong name (should be Chronicles of Castle Brass, of course). Later editions corrected the mistake.

If there is anyone who still needs this oddity (and lord knows I've banged on about it often enough; apologies if this is getting stale!) it's here, at a reasonable starting price:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOORCOCK-CHRON...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

• 10 issues of Les Spinge (fanzine)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LES-SPINGE-10-...QQcmdZViewItem

10 issues of the British fanzine, LES SPINGE, including #2, 3, 4, 79, 13, 14, 15, 16, and two that are in the middle of the run but unnumbered; they date from 1953 to 1965. Some of the featured writers include Mike Moorcock, Walt Willis, Charles Platt, Archie Mercer, John Berry, many more. Condition varies from VG to F. Buyer pays postage.
                          Current bid: US $31.00 (Approximately آ£17.57)
                          Time left: 6 days 2 hours
                          Ends 27-Dec-05 01:45:40 GMT
                          History: 2 bids
                          Item location: Cincinnati, OH.

Comment

• 100 Great Detectives-HC/DJ

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100-Great-Dete...QQcmdZViewItem

Jakubowski, Maxim (editor). 100 Great Detectives. NY: Carrol; & Graf, 1991. First American Edition. This is a Book of the Month Club edition that is in fine condition in a fine condition dust jacket. Features one hundred authors writing about their favorite detectives. Includes Michael Moorcock on Albert Campion, Bill Pronzini on Sharon McCone, Julien Symons on Sam Spade, and 97 others.

Starting bid: US $3.00 (Approximately آ£1.70)
                            Time left: 3 days 18 hours
                            Ends: 24-Dec-05 17:02:32 GMT
                            Start time: 17-Dec-05 17:02:32 GMT
                            History: 0 bids
                            Item location: Alliance, Ohio

I'd be interested in reading Mike's thoughts on Campion (didn't Peter Davsion play him on TV at one time?), but the shipping on a hardback book to the UK means I'll probably only bid if no one else does before the auction ends.

Comment

Working...
                            X