Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Moorcock on eBay

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RARE 1973 MICHAEL MOORCOCK FIRST EDITION OAK & THE RAM
    on ebay ....
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-1973-MICHAEL...dZViewItem
    Please somebody else go for it. Just checked my budget, couple of other things are more needed currently - close to Xmas. I shan't be bidding.
    Google ergo sum

Comment

• Thanks for letting us know. I don't have this edition and am definitely interested.

Comment

• I've just made an impulsive bid on this hardback copy of The New SF:

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll

A book I've treasured since the 70s in paperback; if I "win" this copy it will be my third (& final) extravagant Xmas gift to self this year!

Comment

• Here's a curio:

WRITER'S FAVORITE RECIPES compiled by Gillian Vincent and The National Book League Of Great Britain.

[image moved]

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WRITERS-FAVORI...QQcmdZViewItem

Stories, essays, anecdotes and cartoons from almost two hundred British authors and artists about food and its preparation.
          Len Deighton's discussion of cookery books
          Alan Coren's guide to dining out
          Catherine Cookson's poem on dieting
          the secrets of Sherlock Holmes' housekeeper's kedgeree
          And, entries from the following: Eliza Acton, Sir Harold Acton, Margery Allingham, Elizabeth Ayrton, Beryl BAinbridge, Sybille Bedford, E.F. Benson, Michael Bentine, Rachel Billington, Sir Basil Blackwell, Victor Bonham-Carter, John Bowen, Gyles Brandreth, Neville Braybrooke, Desmond Briggs, Brillat-Savarin, Brigid Brophy, John Brunner, Arthur Calder-Marshall, Bruce Campbell, Patrick Campbell, Lucy Carne, J.L. Carr, Robert Carrier, Barbara Cartland, John Stewart Collis, Shirley Conran, Catherine Cookson, Lettice Cooper, William Cooper, Alan Coren, Margaret Costa, Fleur Cowles, Fanny Craddock, A.J. Cronin, Anthony Curtis, Lionel Davidson, Len Deighton, Kay Dick, Frank Dickens, Josceline Dimbleby, Rom Disch, Robert Dougall, Peter Droscroll, Maureen Duffy, Daphne du Maurier, Janet Dunbar, Janice Elliott, Chrisopher Evans, Evoe (E.V. Knox), J.G. Farrell, Daniel Farson, Constantine Fitzgibbon, Margaret Forster, Christina Foyle, Clement Freud, Christopher Fry, Roger Fulford, Roy Fuller, David Garnett, Mrs. GAskell, William Gerhardie, Robert Gittings, Giles Gordon, Edward Gorey, Hary Graham, Winston Graham, Benny Green, Graham Greene, Joyce Grenfell, Jane Grigson, George and Weedon Grossmith, Kathleen Hale, Alex Hamilton, Irene Handl, Dorothy Hartley, Jon Hartridge, James Herriot, Christopher Hibbert, Thomas Hinde, Eric Hiscock, David Holloway, Michael Holroyd, Jan Hopcraft, Barry Humphries, Hammond Innes, Henry James, Paul Jennings, Mark Kahn, P.J. Kavanagh, H.R.F. Keating, Ludovic Kennedy, Francis King, Margaret Lane, Andre Launay, Rosamond Lehmann, Prue Leith, Anita Leslie, Doris Leslie, Peter Lewis, Graham Lord, Gavin Lyall, Wolf Mankowitz, Olivia Manning, Frank Marcus, Ngaio Marsh, Arthur Marshall, Ruth Martin, Derwent May, Norris McWhiter, Yehudi Menuhin, Michael Moorcock, Jan Morris, Fran Muir, Nanette Newman, Peter Nichols, Ian Norrie, Robert Nye, Michael Palin, Molly Parkin, C. Northcote Parkinson, Michael Parkinson, Mary E. Pearce, Logan Pearsall Smith, Dianne Pearson, Richard Pennington, Frances Perry, Michael Pertwee, Jean Plaidy, Reginald Pound, Margaret Powell, David Pryce-Jones, Magnus Pyke, Jonathan Raban, Elizabeth Ray, Claire Rayner, Helge Rubenstein, Will Rushton, John Saumarez Smith, Paul Scott, Anne Scott-James, Alan Sillitoe, Andrew Sinclair, Sir Osbert Sitwell, Robert Skidelsky, Dodie Smith, Sydney Smith, Colin Spencer, Hilary Spurling, Joyce Stranger, Noel Streatfeild, Patience Strong, Jean Stubbs, Mrs. R. Temple-Wright, Leslie Thomas, Peter Tinniswood, Marina Warner, Sylvia Townsend Warner, William Trevor, Ion Trewin, Miles Tripp, Alison Uttley, Pamela Vandyke Price, Rosalind Wade, C.V. Wedgwood, Fay Weldon, Dennis Wheatley, Katherine Whitehorn, John Whitley, Ted Willis, Angus Wilson, Woodrow Wyatt, Wyvern (Col. Kenny), Peggy Young.
          Starting bid: US $5.99 (Approximately آ£3.41)
          'Buy it Now' price: US $14.99 (Approximately آ£8.54)
          Time left: 6 days 5 hours
          Ends 18-Dec-05 00:30:12 GMT
          Item location: Pasadena, California

Perhaps this would be more suitable in the 'Michael Morecake' thread? :P
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• I'm having this, it looks pretty obscure. I hope no-one minds. I'll post scans when I eventually get hold of it.
            'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

• V. obscure!

Good luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by GuyLawley
                Nice work, Demos. I'll keep an eye on that with a view to bidding; as always if a US bidder who will pay less postage is keen I'll drop back in the queue
                Guy, I've contacted you off-site about the Speculation issue via email. If you are able to check your email could you get back to me? Thanks.
                'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Comment

• There's a very nice copy of the GRnRS newspaper on eBay at the moment (Buy It Now for آ£30):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEDITIONARIES-...QQcmdZViewItem

[image moved]

I've grabbed the accompanying photos for the IG album > [link expired]
                  Time left: 7 days 17 hours
                  Ends: 21-Dec-05 17:26:38 GMT
                  Start time: 10-Dec-05 17:26:38 GMT
                  Item location: London, UK
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Originally posted by GuyLawley
                    Originally posted by demos99
                    Here's an interesting item: Beyond the Eternal Champion: Fantasies of Michael Moorcock

[image moved]

"Beyond the Eternal Champion: Fantasies of Michael Moorcock" by David Connell is the seventh book/pamphlet in the Babel handbooks series of critical studies on Fantasy and Science Fiction writers. The book/pamphlet was published by Nimrod Publications in 1999 with a recommended retail price of $10. It is 32 pages long and is new.
                    Located in Australia
                    This has come around again and I'm going to bid on it this time, unless I hear from you, Demos (as you spotted it first!)
                    This item (or rather another copy :)) is back up on eBay, this time as a 'Buy It Now' for AU$7.00 (approx. آ£3.00).

Just in case anyone didn't get it first time around.

Comment

• Re: Moorcock on eBay

Originally posted by demos99
                      Just spotted a copy of the 1st ed. hardback of The Transformation of Miss Mavis Ming on eBay. Ex-library copy, just over a day to go, no bids, starting bid آ£1.99. UK postage آ£1.80.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M-MOORCOCK-TRA...QQcmdZViewItem

Nice cover by Rodney Matthews.
                      Originally posted by GuyLawley
                      I'm ashamed to say I forgot the Mavis Ming was ending yesterday and some other lucky soul snapped it up for آ£3.21.

I hold myself fully responsible for this appalling state of affairs and will wear sackcloth and ashes for a week.

Next time Aral had better have first dibs on Mavis.
                      For those, like Guy, who missed out on this edition last time, there's a new copy up now. ('Fraid it won't be as cheap as the previous copy):

[image moved]

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOORCOCK-THE-T...QQcmdZViewItem

Michael Morcock , ' The transformation of Miss mavis Ming; First edition 1977 published by W.H. Allen. D/W near fine ; contents fine with a browning typical of the paper used. UK bank cheque ; post at cost.
                      Starting bid: آ£10.00
                      Time left: 6 days 22 hours
                      Ends: 20-Dec-05 23:20:10 GMT
                      History: 0 bids
                      Item location: London, UK

Comment

• Another copy of 'You Always Remember the First Time' (see earlier post above):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/B-S-JOHNSON-YO...QQcmdZViewItem

1st edition, published by Quartet Books in 1975. Foreword by Michael Bakewell, Afterword by Gordon Bowker. Intended as a successor to his two previous anthologies, 'The Evacuees' and 'All Bull', this project, on the subject of the loss of virginity, was completed by Giles Gordon and Michael Bakewell after Johnson's death. Edited by Johnson, with contributions by Brian Aldiss, Larry Adler, Michael Moorcock, Emma Tennant, Giles Playfair, et al. 8vo 195 pp, bound in mauve cloth, with silver titles. A clean and tight, VG+ copy, in VG d/w which has just 2 small (1 cm) closed tears, and a very faint stain mark at the bottom edge, visible only from inside. Small, neat inscription on mauve front endpaper "To Brian from Christine with love". Not price-clipped.
                        Starting bid: آ£7.99
                        Time left: 5 days 22 hours
                        Ends: 19-Dec-05 22:58:13 GMT
                        History: 0 bids
                        Item location: UK

Comment

• again, I must say, I love all that old artwork on all those books.

Lemec walks off to check his e-bay account, thinking of getting some nice MM items to enjoy in 2006.

Hey, did anyone ever check that new 'Overstock' place for books? I heard they were going to have an e-bayesque auction.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                          - Michael Moorcock

Comment

• Parenthetically, I "won" that copy of The New SF, signed by MM, B.Aldiss and J.Ballard; what an artefact! In lovely nick too. I'm not normally very interested in signed books, but this is a choice set of 3 in one!

I'm posting to comment on that last batch of New Worlds auctioned by Wetballs; they fetched pretty good prices, better than usual; I wonder if it was the (apparently) very good condition they were in? I was tempted but left the field open as I have all of them (though probably not in such good nick) and I've been spending a little too freely of late.

I also got a Hawkwind tour programme (1974) in the mail today. It's a pretty slim volume. Most of its pages are taken up by Mike's short story A Dead Singer. I wonder what Hawkfans made of that?

It also has a short piece on the Deep Fix (the band, not the book) which I will post as an image IDC. I expect I'll put it in Magazines.

Comment

• Must check out this thread more often, I missed both the London Magazine issue and the Radio Times :( These are the sort of obscurities I'm generally chasing now. Oh well, I won the Speculation and an issue of Niekas from the same seller. I see demos won one of the Radio Times - do you have it yet? I'd like to see a scan

Comment

• Aral, oddly enough I've arranged with the eventual purchaser of the London Magazine this week to provide us with scans of the Moorcock essay for the Image Gallery. Hopefully I should have them before long and will upload them as soon as I can.

I also have the Radio Times issue and will upload scans later this weekend. :)

Comment

Working...
                                X