Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Moorcock on eBay

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-WORLDS-SF-16...QQcmdZViewItem

Thought someone might be interested in this-- New Worlds 166 with the original publication of Behold the Man. The seller doesn't seem to appreciate the importance of that content.

Comment

Here's a copy of Science Fantasy 60 up for sale, in fairly poor condition:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Terry-Pratchet...QQcmdZViewItem

We know this one is hard to get, containing as it does Terry Pratchett's first published story.

But I didn't know it was that rare; looks as if the copy on my shelves is the "only other one still in existence".

Heavens above!

Should we club together and tell this poor chap how many other copies we know of? :) Or would that be a colossal waste of time?

(I've already informed another seller that his copy of Flashing Swords 2 does not have a Frazetta cover (as if one glance couldn't have told him!).

Comment

There's an incredible amount of hyperbole on eBay, which I suppose in a sense is the job of a salesman, but some of it is so contrary to received wisdom or even the mere evidence of your own eyes that it's a wonder that anyone believes any of it.

As always, caveat emptor applies.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by GuyLawley
          Here's a copy of Science Fantasy 60 up for sale, in fairly poor condition

We know this one is hard to get, containing as it does Terry Pratchett's first published story.

But I didn't know it was that rare; looks as if the copy on my shelves is the "only other one still in existence".
          Mine too! :lol:
          'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Originally posted by demos99
            This may be of interest to anyone interested in fantasy in general or Mike's "Aspects of Fantasy"essays from Science Fantasy, which formed the basis for his later Wizardry and Wild Romance

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EXPLORING-FANT...QQcmdZViewItem

EXPLORING FANTASY WORLDS, edited by DARRELL SCHWEITZER. Borgo Press, 1985. Essays on fantasy, either from obscure and hard-to-get sources, or originals. MICHAEL MOORCOCK's "Aspects of Fantasy," POUL ANDERSON on Johannes V. Jensen, DAVID H. KELLER on Mervyn Pake, FRITZ LEIBER on the anima archetype, L. SPRAGUE DE CAMP on "Robert E. Howard's Fiction" (original to this book), DARRELL SCHWEITZER on archaism in fantasy. SANDRA MIESEL on Robert Silverberg's SON OF MAN, Ben Indick on Robert Nathan, PAUL SPENCER on James Branch Cabell. As-new. SIGNED by Schweitzer.
            Just to mention that my copy of 'Exploring Fantasy Worlds: Essays on Fantastic Literature' arrived from the States this morning and thought I'd say - since the editor, Darrell Schweitzer, appears to have at least one more copy which he may list on eBay in future - that it's well worth getting if anyone would like to read Mike's original 'Aspects of Fantasy' essays but doesn't feel like shelling out for the original Science Fantasy magazines in which they first appeared. There's also a substantial quote from Mike included in Schweitzer's Introduction where he explains how his opinions of fantasy have changed from when he first wrote the essays in the early 1960s.

Here endth the sales pitch. :)
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Looks like you got a bargain there demos. Does it include all of the Aspects Of Fantasy articles? I think I have most of these in the original magazines, but it would be handy to have them all in book form too.
              'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

EFW reprints 'AoF' as:
                • 1. Introduction (6pp)
                  2. The Floodgates of the Unconsciousness (6.5 pp)
                  3. Figures of Faust (7pp)
                  4. Conclusion (8pp)

I've only got Part 3 in it's original form and I haven't compared it to the reprint but afaik its all there. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Aral Vilsn
                  Originally posted by GuyLawley
                  Here's a copy of Science Fantasy 60 up for sale, in fairly poor condition

Mine too! :lol:
                  What an amazing coincidence ! :lol:

Comment

The Oak and the Ram, 1973 hardback

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-1973-MICH...QQcmdZViewItem

# Rare First Edition hardback book with an unclipped dustwrapper published by Allison & Busby in 1973 ( see photograph of the copyright page below ).
                    # Volume the Second of The Chronicle of Prince Corum and the Silver Hand.
                    # An ex-library book with all of the usual marks and stamps.
                    # The dustwrapper has not been price-clipped and has been well protected by a clear plastic sleeve ( Supasleeve ) which has not been taped to the boards and so could be removed quite easily.
                    # The spine has faded a little and there is a tea or coffee stain along the top edge of the back of the dustwrapper, the back board and top of the spine.
                    Starting bid: آ£4.99

Time left: 3 days 14 hours
                    Ends 11-Dec-05 15:54:29 GMT
                    History: 0 bids
                    Item location: United Kingdom

Comment

• Goodness - a completely different cover design than what I knew so far.
                      Am tempted. So if you see old LEtranger bidding lay off or get in touch to convince me you need it more dearly than me! I usually don't go in any earlier than half an hour, unless I know I can't be there when it is count-down time.
                      Google ergo sum

Comment

• Is L'Etranger also your eBay "handle"?

Comment

• Originally posted by GuyLawley
                          Is L'Etranger also your eBay "handle"?
                          Yes, how silly of me not to say so! It is LEtranger200x. I was an eBayer before becoming a Moorcockista (online at least) and when I signed up nothing else occurred to me, but I dropped the year lest I be taken for a child, hehe.
                          Google ergo sum

Comment

• Bit pricey this perhaps, but someone might want it:

1967 UK Science Fiction Fanzine SPECULATION #16

[image moved]

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1967-UK-Scienc...QQcmdZViewItem

SPECULATION #16 (Autumn 1967) 8 x 10, 44 pages. British science fiction fanzine featuring the text of speeches given by Michael Moorcock and John Brunner. Plus the 6 page transcript of a panel with Michael Moorcock, John Brunner, Thomas Disch, Brian Aldiss, James White and Judith Merril, and more. Excellent condition.

Buyer pays $8.00 shipping priority mail, or $3.00 media mail insured. Overseas $9.00 Global Priority mail. Payment by check, money order, or Paypal.
                            Starting bid: US $20.00 (Approximately آ£11.53)
                            Buy It Now price: US $30.00 (Approximately آ£17.29)
                            Time left: 6 days 7 hours
                            Ends 15-Dec-05 04:01:25 GMT
                            History: 0 bids
                            Item location: United States[url]

I've nabbed an copy of the cover for the IG, btw.

Comment

• Nice work, Demos. I'll keep an eye on that with a view to bidding; as always if a US bidder who will pay less postage is keen I'll drop back in the queue

Comment

Working...
                              X