Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Storm over Tanelorn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storm over Tanelorn?

Has anyone ever seen this?

Last edited by The Cosmic Balance; 03-05-2010, 02:17 AM. Reason: Replaced broken image link
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Goes with this perhaps?

I think they're foreign-language editions (Dutch? German?) rather than some long-lost Moorcock texts. :)

EDIT: They are Dutch. 'Storm over Tanelorn' features Theleb K'aarna, so might be 'The Sleeping Sorceress' or could be 'The Bane of the Black Sword'. Likewise, 'Storm over Melnibone' might be 'Elric of Melnibone' or could be 'The Weird of the White Wolf'.

Since 'BotBS' includes 'The Stealer of Souls' and 'To Rescue Tanelorn...' I'm inclined to go with the latter options in both cases, but any Dutch readers are welcome to put me straight.
    Last edited by The Cosmic Balance; 03-05-2010, 02:18 AM. Reason: Replaced broken image link
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

From what I've been able to find, Storm Over Melnibonأ© is Elric of Melnibonأ©, and Storm Over Tanelorn is The Sleeping Sorceress.

Storm Over Melnibonأ©

Storm Over Tanelorn

Comment

Update: Looks like I was wrong and I should have gone with the first options. :P

STORM OVER MELNIBONE (c) 1976, Scala, Scala SF vert.van: Elric of Melniboneآ© (1972)

STORM OVER TANELORN 1976, Scala, Scala SF, vert.van: The Sleeping Sorceress (1972)
        Source: http://www.geometry.net/detail/autho...page_no_3.html (It's in German though)

EDIT: Typhoid Mary beat me to it. :clap:
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I like the covers.

Comment

Me too. The cover typography is almost identical to the Mayflower editions of the 70s. Is there any relation between the publishers...?
            'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Mouser
              I like the covers.
              Me too. Been enjoying the gallery of foreign covers. I'd sure love to get a hand on some of those for my collection.

Comment

The first cover isn't showing on my PC now. Any reason?
                'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

They've gone here too, unfortunately.

Comment

I moved them to here: http://www.multiverse.org/imagehive/...utch+Editions/
                    Last edited by The Cosmic Balance; 03-05-2010, 02:19 AM. Reason: Replaced broken URL link
                    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Um... Storm over Tanelorn is captioned "STORM OVER MELNIBONE"... :|

Gr.,
                      Ant

Comment

Are you sure?

Comment

It was when I posted!

Comment

Comment

I've got both books on my shelf right here. In fact, Storm over Melnibonأ© was the first Moorcock book I read, a less than perfect translation to Dutch of Elric of Melnibonأ©. When Elric stabs Thing and it cries out its name it goes "Ding! Ding! Ding!" like some panicked doorbell.

Storm over Tanelorn is indeed translated from The Sleeping Sorceress. Few of Mike's books have been translated to Dutch, but those that were can be found here, along with their covers: http://www.deboekenplank.nl/naslag/a...moorcock_m.htm

The covers for the Dancers were done by Bob Haberfield, those for Jerry by Tais Teng, that of Gloriana by D. Groenendijk-Grimme and Behold the Man was done by J.W. Looman. The other books fail to credit the cover artists.

Comment

Working...
                              X