Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

A Fanzine Called Eustace scans now in Image Gallery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Fanzine Called Eustace scans now in Image Gallery

Some scans of A Fanzine Called Eustace have just been uploaded.

[link expired]

Thanks go to lapis for supplying them.

Thanks tons TM!
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

All I can say is wonderful! The editorial comments about Tarzan Adventures are especially interesting to me as it helps document further that period of Mike's career for my work-in-progress Biography of Mike for this site.

Bravo! :up:
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Btw, although the cover of EUSTACE says 'Summer 1959', Mike's editorial on the back page (p16) seems to suggest that it actually didn't appear until Winter 1959 (possibly December).

"EUSTACE is a winter issue now. I'm afraid that I had to delay publication until VECTOR was well-and-truly completed. Now that's over we are going ahead with EUSTACE and you should see this ish out by December at the latest."
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Good to see those. I've uploaded the colour image of the Eustace cover I saved off ebay in the Limbo gallery:

[link expired]

I bid on the fanzine but lost. It went for a lot of money! :(
          'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Supoib!

BTW, for fans of page 3 of A Fanzine Called Eustace, that takeover of the Amalgamated Press by The Daily Mirror is the setting, as it were, and part of the subject matter, of Jack Trevor Story's book Man Pinches Bottom, which is one of his funniest and most accessible books, and highly recommended.

Said book also first saw print, or parts of it did, as a volume of the Sexton Blake Library (called Large Type Killer) horribly re-written and credited to "Richard Williams" IIRC.

(Just connecting the threads here; also perhaps dotting the t's, crossing the i's, minding my p's and q's, and probably abusing the apostrophe's while I'm at it.)

Comment

Originally posted by Aral Vilsn
              Good to see those. I've uploaded the colour image of the Eustace cover I saved off ebay in the Limbo gallery:

[link expired]

I bid on the fanzine but lost. It went for a lot of money! :(
              I wonder if the activity of yourself and others at the site as well as our googliness are ironically making it more expensive for you. How many other people go to ebay because of this site and all your (this is the communal your) effort? Could it be there are those who are scoping the site and not talking about it?

Now that is something even I hadn't considered.
              The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

A Fanzine Called Eustace - ZineWiki - the history and culture of ...

A Fanzine Called Eustace - ZineWiki - the history and culture of ...

Contributions were "Crowings" by Michael Moorcock; "In One Easy Lesson" by Bob ... Michael Moorcock had previously published the fanzine Typo in 1957, ...
                www.zinewiki.com/A_Fanzine_Called_Eustace

More...

Comment

Oddly, I just read Russel's Next of Kin just recently. Well, not that odd. But there you go.

Comment

Working...
                  X