Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Boys World Annual 1964 on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boys World Annual 1964 on ebay

I guess this will mostly interest those in the UK, but there is a copy of Boys World Annual 1964 on ebay at the moment, featuring The Specimens by Mike:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6565216272

I already have a copy, and so won't be bidding for it.
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Do we have a Boys World album? Would that cover be suitable?
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Is The Specimens by me ? I thought it might have been by Barry Bayley. We worked as a partnership at that time and swapped commissions pretty regularly. I know I was shocked to see my name turn up on a piece in BWA! Worth checking the piece to see if it looks as if it was written by me or Barry. Barry's style is a little denser than mine as a rule.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Well I plan on scanning mine, unless someone beats me to it...
        'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Comment

I'd say, having looked at it, that it would probably be worth getting if it's cheap enough! I'd be curious to see it, should the piece prove not to be by me and would probably buy it from anyone who had it! For all I know some of the unsigned pieces are be me or Barry.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Don't know if you remember Mike, but I put a partial scan of The Specimens in the Gallery back in April. When you looked at it you said it looked familiar but that you weren't sure if it was yours or Barry's.

John Davey has said that Time Drop, which appeared in the following year's Boys World annual was Barry's, so I'm assuming The Specimens is yours unless proved otherwise. I think I mentioned it last time, but there's also a Harry Harrison scripted comic strip in the annual, Robot World. Most of the pieces in the annual are signed, but if you want me to list any unsigned pieces I will.

Comment

I've been keeping an eye on another copy for a while now.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

That one's not in quite as good condition as the one you've posted Aral, but it's a little cheaper on 'Buy It Now'.

The prices for both seem reasonable enough but the postage (well over آ£3 in both cases) looks a little steep for what is after all an annual, but who knows? Maybe it's super heavy?
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

The one you posted demos has 1st Class recorded delivery listed. Have you emailed the seller asking if you can get a cheaper postage option? Many are quite flexible. If you just want to read the story, and can get cheaper postage its worth getting.

Comment

If I could contact the seller I would, but when I click on the 'Ask seller a question' link I get a 'Page could not be displayed' error (in both IE and Firefox).
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I have quite a few Boys World comics, but no annuals, so I'm interested, Moorcock content or no. Thanks for letting us know, Aral.

Unless I hear from any of you guys with "first dibs" rights, I will probably bid on the nicer condition copy.

Comment

Fine with me Guy. It's nice but I'd only want a copy for the Moorcock stuff (if any) and since you already have a BW collection I'm happy to take it off my Watch list.

PS. I've finally managed to email the seller of the other copy Aral, so we'll see what she says.

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
                        Do we have a Boys World album? Would that cover be suitable?
                        I'm pretty sure we don't have any Boys World up yet. I can happily scan some covers and/or interior pages (I have nowhere near a complete set, mind you).

It would be good to know some Moorcock contents to scan; Mike, did you write some of the "What Would You Do?" features, for example (I know they helped inspire parts of Breakfast in the Ruins) ?

Comment

I think What Would You Do is another Mike/Barry Bayley conundrum. I did a quick search in Q&A to try and find some comments off Mike (I'm sure he's said something about them before) but didn't turn up anything.

Comment

Originally posted by demos99
                            Fine with me Guy. It's nice but I'd only want a copy for the Moorcock stuff (if any) and since you already have a BW collection I'm happy to take it off my Watch list.

PS. I've finally managed to email the seller of the other copy Aral, so we'll see what she says.
                            Thanks, Demos. While I enjoy the "cut and thrust" of bidding on eBay (it's the closest I get to gambling, I suppose) I also like sharing the goodies around and negotiating with my e-friends about stuff!

Good luck with that other copy if you decide to go with it.

Comment

I have indeed gone with that other copy. :) The seller will send it out 2nd Class so hopefully that will bring the final price down a bit. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X