Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

A Mike Moment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Mike Moment

Standing in the aisle at Barnes & Noble, brandy-new copy of "New Worlds" in my hands, a young fella was down the aisle complaining loudly that he'd read like 90% of what was on that shelf, and nothing was jumping out at him tonight. his family left him standing there. i couldn't help myself, so i wandered over and pointed to my book. total stranger this kid is, and i said, "Ever read any of his work?" Shakes his head and looks at the cover. "Come with me," I asked and I pointed to the Mike section of the shelves. "You never heard of Elric then?"

"No." But he's curious.

"Any interest in a tall albino with an even taller, demonic sword dragging him into trouble?"

"Yeah," he says, but then..."Is it like Drizzt?"

"I don't know. I've never read any of that" I confessed, and then he proceeded to rave about Salvatore and someone named Zahn that i really need to check out.

So I'm heading out the aisle and said once more, "Get into Mike Moorcock. You'll be hooked for life," and he seemed okay with that.

anyway. i thought it was kind of neat.

Good work! Another soul...er, saved. I guess.

Though you could have bunged him a Prototype X, too. Missed a trick, there.

Comment

Another soul saved. . . lol

I love the pun. I've done the same myself, I've led people away from Robert Jordan when asked for something less phone-book like. Anime fans in particular have devoured Mike's works, which i find not too surprising. I grew up on alot of 80s Japanimation, and alot of the weirder stuff reminded me of that 'wasn't-expecting-that' feel of Moorcock's universe.

The diffrence between REH and Mike: REH, you know whats behind those hill of Cimmeria (Vaneheim, Asgard, Hyborea, etc); Mike, around the corner can literally mean off the face of the planet :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Azariel
        Another soul saved. . . lol

I love the pun. I've done the same myself, I've led people away from Robert Jordan when asked for something less phone-book like. Anime fans in particular have devoured Mike's works, which i find not too surprising. I grew up on alot of 80s Japanimation, and alot of the weirder stuff reminded me of that 'wasn't-expecting-that' feel of Moorcock's universe.
        I think Robert Jordan is pretty good! Not as good as Moorcock of course, but still...
        I'm not sure whether I've brought anyone to read any of Mike's books, but most of my friends are not really into reading as much. Either that or they tend to stick to the more modern books. One other friend is a big Moorcock fan though, which is good I guess!

Comment

I got my friend hooked on Elric by the sheer covers of Whelan, which are far superior to those out now, the "grey editions" as i call them. The old whelan editions had picyures and a map to boot!

Comment

Working...
          X