Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Behold The Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behold The Man

In a 1970 Sunday Times article by Alan Brian there was mention of a director called Mai Zetterling being interested in filming BTM. Needless to say it never happened. Given the current political/social climate, making the film today is probably even more out of the question, but I'd still be interested to hear how near the project has ever come to completion. Cheers.

If you search the Q&A for the word Zetterling I bet you will find some discussions on this topic. Mike has gone into some detail about it on a couple of occasions.

Comment

Mai Zetterling was a great actress and director, also a novelist. Became a good friend after the project fell through. One of her last films (if not her last feature) was Scrubbers. She made a number of films in Sweden which were, in my view, her best. You might remember her opposite Peter Sellers in Only Two Can Play. She had a deep dislike of both Sellers and Amis who, somewhat typically, considered her an airhead glamour girl and treated her extremely chauvinistically. I found her one of the smartest people I've known. Married for some time to David Hughes, the novelist, and another good friend.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I think here's a photo of Mai Zetterling looking particularly glamorous:

_"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

J. Arthur Rank at full blast. Mai hated all that stuff. Not that she was exactly a plain woman... Check out her filmography. The Girls was a fine, subtle, feminist comedy well worth seeing, but there were some other good ones, frequently highly imaginative. See for instance Night Games, which was also a novel.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Given the current climate, I think Behold the Man would only be viable IF there were a wraparound clearly indicating it was one possible strand of the multiverse. This is how I took the book as I recently read it. Actually, the analogs used in White Wolf's Son were much closer to canon. Being rather advanced in Bible study and so forth (particularly the scientific area of things) I see no reason or statements at all that deny there are 11 or so "dimensions" and all kinds of alternate possibilities, all based on choice and free will.

I just hope I'm on the primary thread. Being tacked up to a ship's mast sounds deucedly uncomfortable!

Comment

Crap!
              Didn't log in again!

Bloody browser!
              Bloody MicroSnort!
              Bloody Bill Grates!

Mike, if you think you have computer glitches, you should have been here an hour ago, when I offered to break everything in the room and assassinate every programmer in North America!

Arrrgh!

Have a nice day.
              Miqque
              ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

Behold the Man

Much thanks to Michael and others for info. on Mme.Z. I've always thought BTM was the most filmable of all Michael's works and like many others, I suppose, have imagined different versions of how it might run. There's at least one script out there on the web. Perhaps Cronenberg or someone equally courageous or provocative could be persuaded into taking it on. What a riposte it would make to Gibson's "Passion", not to mention Da Vinci code fans and Bush "favourite philosopher" America.

Comment

I think that definatly a BTM film would actually be the most controversial film based on a Moorcock book second only to Brothel in Rosenstrasse. Remember the religious outlash at films such as Exorcist, Passion, Last Temptation of Christ and even the Life of Brian. Think about how people would react to a film where Jesus is retarded, Mary is a bit of a whore and we have a sexually confused, emotionally disturbed man from the future becoming Jesus Christ. While the first two parts I mentioned aren't huge sections of the book, they are important enough events to maybe cause a bit of controversy.

Thinking about it... I'd love to see a film of BTM.

Comment

Originally posted by manmiles
                    Remember the religious outlash at films such as Exorcist, Passion, Last Temptation of Christ and even the Life of Brian.
                    Not to mention 'Jerry Springer-The Opera'. :D

Stephen Green would have apoplexy.
                    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Although it would be interesting to see, I'm not sure a film of Behold The Man would work. The basic idea, which makes sense in the context of the written word, might seem merely outrageous on screen.
                      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

The basic problem would be that people of a particular religious persuasion wouldn't understand the author's intent and so not look beyond the surface details.

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                        I was writing about demagogues, I thought, not religion as such.
                        [link expired]

Comment

Maybe a radio dramatisation. No-one cares about radio these days :|

Comment

Originally posted by manmiles
                            Remember the religious outlash at films such as Exorcist, Passion, Last Temptation of Christ and even the Life of Brian.
                            With even Harry Potter coming under attack from religious groups, I don't think any production company would go near Behold the Man at the moment. A terrible shame as I think it would make an interesting film. I have some fond memories of reading it on KLM flights on a trip to Finland.

Comment

No offence to Mike's work, but BTM has 'independent movie' written all over it.

Comment

Working...
                              X