Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Nemedians (Ghor, Kin-slayer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Nemedians (Ghor, Kin-slayer)

In case anyone's interested, I came across references to a short short by Mike called 'The Nemedians' on the Sweet Despise web site, which was part of a round-robin exercise that Mike participated in (in 1977), which spun out of an unfinished story originally written by Robert E. Howard.

http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespis.../short/tn.html

The 'round-robin' went unfinished when the fanzine publishing the installments (Fantasy Crossroads) folded, although Mike's contribution was published. Twenty years later (1997) the complete 'round-robin' was published in a collection by Necronomicon Press.

I recently discovered that Necronomicon Press are still selling the book through eBay on 'Buy It Now' for the cover price of $8.95 (آ£5-ish).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8314051230

I bought a copy and it arrived in the post this morning. Out of the sixteen contributors (including A.E. van Vogt, Brian Lumley, Marion Zimmer Bradley and Ramsey Campbell) Mike's chapter is one of the shorter being only six pages long (2 pages longer than Howard's original though), so people may feel that at $1.50 a page it's a bit expensive, but if anyone is interested in this item then there are 92 copies of the book still available at the above eBay link.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent detective work!

Comment

I've just ordered a copy. Thanks for the heads-up, demos!

Comment

I've scanned the cover of this book and uploaded it to the Anthologies Image Gallery album.

[broken link]
        Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 04:29 AM.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I ordered a copy of this too and it arrived today, so thanks for pointing it out in the first place demos :clap:
          'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

If anyone's interested, there's a copy of the original fanzine magazine that 'The Nemedians' appeared in on eBay.com at the moment. (Ends in 23 hours!!).

See [broken link] for more details.
            Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Bearing in mind that we know you can buy this book direct from the publisher for less than $9.00, there's a copy on eBay atm with a starting price of $49.99!!! 8O

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Robert-E-Howar...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

I've just ordered this from AbeBooks Demos. Thanks for the heads up.
                The book was listed as $8.95 US,$ 9.50 shipping and handling. After converting to Canadian funds it'll run me $21.25, which is still not too shabby. :clap:
                ..he weeps with the wonder of suddenly recollected innocence, of something he believed lost as everything else is lost to him and which makes him believe, if only for this moment, that what he has lost might be, perhaps, restored.

Comment

http://www.abebooks.com/ :clap:
                  ..he weeps with the wonder of suddenly recollected innocence, of something he believed lost as everything else is lost to him and which makes him believe, if only for this moment, that what he has lost might be, perhaps, restored.

Comment

Be warned- I got a copy listed at $8.50, but the other copy on the page was listed at $45.00.
                    Go figure! :scratch:

Comment

Just to reiterate, there are still 76 copies of "Ghor" available from necropress on eBay at the 'Buy It Now' price of $8.95 (+ postage):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8314051230

This appears to be a perpetual auction, so there's never any reason to pay over the odds for this book.

Comment

Working...
                      X