Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Portafjallet - where is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portafjallet - where is it?

As we know, the Portafjallet mountain (glacier?) in Sweden was the inspiration for Mike's short story 'The Mountain', in which the last two men on Earth climb a mountain in pursuit of the last woman on Earth. The real-life story is that Mike and his friend, David Harvey* had decided to climb the easy face of the mountain, but Harvey misread the map and they ended up ascending via a more dangerous face.

Does anyone know whereabouts in Sweden the mountain is? Based on Mike's comments I know it's in the Artic Circle somewhere, but beyond that I've not got any more precise data. The information would be useful for a Moorcockapedia entry I'm working on, but 'goggling' Portafjallet is turning up a blank (apart from references to Mike's story, of course). I'm wondering if the spelling is a bit off? 'fjallet' is Swedish for 'mountain' but perhaps this is a case of something like how 'Copenhagen' is really 'Kأ¸benhavn' in Danish. Does anyone know what the Swedish spelling for the mountain is?

Cheers,
    David

*For those who are interested in such things, here's a recent photograph of (I think) Professor Harvey:

http://www.jhu.edu/~dogee/people/faculty/harvey.html
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Ah, I think that the correct spelling may be Pårtefjället or Partefjallet (in English).

Most websites may refer to this mountain as Pårtetjokko, but working on the principle that 'tjokko' and 'fjället' might be interchangeable some nifty 'cuttin' & pastin'' has turned up some new information, which looks promising.

Pårtefjället is the fourth (or fifth) highest mountain in Sweden at 2021m (or 2005m) and seems to be close to the Norwegian border. Now I just need to find a picture of it and/or a map reference. :)
    Last edited by David Mosley; 04-30-2007, 04:13 PM. Reason: Corrected non-English letters distorted by forum migration
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Working...
    X