Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Moorcock's Miscellany 10 Year Anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moorcock's Miscellany 10 Year Anniversary

:cat:

SINGLE CAT ALERT

Dear Readers,

I've been trying to decide what date this website's 10 year anniversary actually is. I didn't want to determine such a date arbitrarily though I remember having started all of this late 1995. While cleaning out the closets in my home, I discovered an old envelope that I sent to myself. It should contain files from my first serious attempt of Tanelorn: The City of Peace. If I were to open the packet, I would be able to look at the date on the files and confirm, at least, when I composed those old web pages. I sent the files to myself in a registered and insured envelope because I wanted proof that I had thought the whole thing myself before anyone else had. :roll: This was before I knew Mike was still alive and when I understood very little of copyright law.

Marked on the exterior of the envelope is the date April 18, 1996. Thus, April 18, 2006 will be our official 10 year anniversary.

END OF SINGLE CAT ALERT

:cat:
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Re: Moorcock's Miscellany 10 Year Anniversary

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
    This was before I knew Mike was still alive and when I understood very little of copyright law.
    And wouldn't the development of the Miscellany site have been very different (and a lot less fun) if he hadn't been?

Hope you fill us in on more of the site history as we build up to that tenth anniversary. We should have a grand celebration. :clap:
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

My thanks, congratulations and kudos to you, Berry for all your inspiration and hard work over these nearly ten years.

And the same to you, Mike, for the very nearly fifty years that your writing has been there to enjoy and celebrate. (In my case only over the last (mere) 33 or so years, mind you.)

Comment

I just found this in the BOC-L archives. We've got a record of when Tanelorn: The City Of Peace became multiverse.org.

Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 15:18:22 -0400
        Reply-To: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List <[email protected]>
        Sender: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List <[email protected]>
        Subject: Re: MM & HW (fwd)
        Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII

Forwarded message: > From [email protected] Wed Aug 19 00:44:53 1998 > From: "Berry Sizemore" <[email protected]> > > Could you pass this along: > > In about a weeks time, everyone who loves MM's work will find > http://www.multiverse.org/ on line! > > Tanelorn is at the center of the Multiverse still, and there a number of > new items. But it is still a work in progress. And, I'm sad to admit, > it will be lacking in the way of MM's musical endeavours. But that > should be resolved within the next several months. > > Thanks, > > Jhary-a-Conel
        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Seems like only yesterday...

Well done Berry!

Comment

Berry,

All the "thank you very much" of the Multiverse for you!
            Congratulations, noble companion, for your deed to create this space where we love Mikeآ´s work can meet each other and celebrate Mikeآ´s Multiverse!

(Elric, Hawkmoon, Erأ«kose and Corum raise their swords and they shout:

-- CONGRATULATIONS, LORD BERRY FROM SYZERMOORE! MAY LAW AND CHAOSآ´ GODS MAKE LONG AND HEROICAL YOUR LIFE! )
            :)

Mike,

Thanks, in name of all us, for you have created/dreamed the Multiverse.
            Your have become our lives more interesting when you have given for us intelligent and quality entertainment!

(All inhabitants on Multiverse raise their hands and say to you:
            -- WE ALL THANK YOU, CREATOR! LORD MIKE, LAW AND CHAOSآ´S LORD!
            MAN WHO DREAMED THE MULTIVERSE! MAY YOUR CREATION BE ETERNAL!).

:)

Rita.

Comment

Mike is not very popular in my country, so for all (well, almost all) these years Multiverse.org has been not only an inspiration for me, but also the main source of information. Congratulations, Berry, and big THANK YOU for your wonderful idea and hard work (and for giving me a chance to ask Mike some silly questions).

Comment

Blimey, that made me realise it'll be the 10th Anniversary of me starting Sweet Despise soon as well. How time flies? I've been working offline on an update for a while, hopefully I'll get it finished by then. I wasn't as efficient as you though Berry, so don't have anything with the initial launch date. I have found an early Usenet announcement from 26th July 1996, but know if was up a little while before I announced it.

It almost disappeared completely early this year. My ISP accidentally deleted it! Some bits are still offline/broken.

Comment

Your site was one that I first referenced.

Comment

Have you got your old site archived anywhere? I remember it was very unique and I never quite knew where to go. It was an excellent experiment with the medium though, every visit was a quest :-)

I looked on the Internet Archive but they don't seem to have it at all unfortunately.

Comment

I have it, but it's less functional than the one at the archive.

Comment

Working...
                      X