Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Bible Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bible Story

In my quest for ever more obscure bits of Moorcockania, I'm now turning my attention to the likes of Tarzan Adventures, Look and Learn and Bible Story, where they feature reasonably verifiable Moorcock items. Only problem is, despite doing fairly regular searches on ebay I've yet to see a single issue of Bible Story. Does anyone have one? Are they easy to find? They don't seem as plentiful as the likes of Look and Learn... :?
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

I have lurked around eBay looking myself for some years now, and have been lucky enough to buy two partial sets of Bible Story Weekly, out of which I built a complete set in reasonable nick.

You are right, of course; the magazine certainly doesn’t turn up very often!

If I recall correctly, the only credited Moorcock piece in the whole run is one Cathedrals of Britain article. That doesn’t mean it’s the only piece Mike wrote, though. The majority of the articles in the mag aren’t credited to anyone.

The comic strip Life Of Constantine which Mike remembers writing for Don Lawrence to draw does not appear, as I’ve said before, and I suspect probably ran in Look and Learn after Bible Story folded and merged into Look and Learn. (I’ve never found the strip, but then I haven’t tried to buy all the Look and Learn issues which it might just be in!)

Comment

One source lists Mike as writing the seven-part Herod The Great series that ran in Bible Story Aug-Sep 1964, although it was uncredited. The same source lists the Great Cathedrals articles on Bury St. Edmonds, Ely and Exeter as being Mike's work. Can you do any scans of stuff you have Guy? Any confirmation from Mike on authorship would be welcome, as usual.
      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Comment

I wondered if Herod The Great might be Mike's. It is certainly Don Lawrence's work (and probably the strip which got him the job on Trigan Empire).

I'll scan a few bits soon.

Comment

Bible Story album now up in Magazines section of Image Gallery;
          http://www.multiverse.org/imagehive/...ines/album204/

As always, clicking on the thumbnail brings up a larger image, and clicking on that one gives you the full-sized image, which should be easily legible.

Happy to scan more if anything is confirmed as Mike's work, and people want to read it.

Great Cathedrals was a substantial series, and perhaps all Mike's ? (But don't tell J. G. Ballard's tax auditor.) Not really something I'd expect anyone would want to read all of (not even me!)...???
          Last edited by The Cosmic Balance; 09-01-2013, 03:21 AM. Reason: Fixed broken link

Comment

What a bloke! Thanks for those Guy.

Comment

You're very welcome.

I should have said something about size. Bible Story was 10 x 13 inches; even bigger than Look & Learn.

24 pages per issue.

Comment

Guy rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by GuyLawley
                  I wondered if Herod The Great might be Mike's. It is certainly Don Lawrence's work (and probably the strip which got him the job on Trigan Empire).
                  You probably noticed the caption "This story is adapted from The Life and Times of Herod the Great by Stewart Perowne, published by Hodder and Stroughton."

I wonder whether the Herod strip was a 'cut-n-paste' from Perowne's book, or a looser adaptation.? :scratch:
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Quite so. I noticed the Perowne credit again when scanning and mentioned it in my caption.

I think the only question is: who did the cutting, pasting, re-writing, whatever was done to Mr Perowne's text.

Mike has not said before that he did.

Comment

Ah, excellent! Confirmation at last. Thanks for that Mike. Wonder where all these sources get their details from. Some of it must be guesswork?

Comment

Excellent work on those scans Guy. What a score!
                        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

A lot of stuff is wrongly credited to me, including Trigan Empire and Captain Condor, two old favourites of sf comic fans. I do my best to keep track of what's being offered as by me. Sometimes I feel a bit of a bastard for telling people that it's not me, after they arrive at a conclusion that it is! One thing this site is doing is helping me get dates straight in my head. I think it's pretty clear, for instance, that I didn't start editing Tarzan until I was 17, though I was contributing at 16.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                            I didn't do the Herod strip. My guess it was done in house by an editor,
                            maybe Ted Holmes, the original editor.
                            Thanks as ever, Mike. I'll adjust the caption to the Herod scan idc.

Like you I thought the crediting of one of the Cathedral series to you was a bit cheeky. Might be taken to imply that you had some interest in the subject or even went to services most Sundays.

I take it the editors knew that was not really so. In which case, could the writing credit have been some subtle form of revenge? :)

Just an idle thought! Not intended to use up your time in replying!

Comment

Working...
                            X